Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Debugging faster

It takes too long to begin debugging an application. It also takes too much time stepping through code in debug mode.

1,892 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    28 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are a wide variety of reasons that debugging can be slow which makes this particular item not directly actionable as it is too broad. Please read the following blog post which outlines various reasons debugging can be slow and provides links to more specific UserVoice items that are actionable (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/03/03/make-debugging-faster-with-visual-studio.aspx).  If you encounter something that doesn’t have an existing UserVoice item please create a new one that is focused on a specific feature area for the debugger

Best Regards,
    Andrew Hall
    Visual Studio Debugger

2. Bring back the MPI Cluster Debugger

In Visual Studio 2010 there is an MPI Cluster Debugger that allows us to debug MPI applications.
    It seems that this feature has gone, so please bring it back to make it easier to develop MPI applications on Windows.

825 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    47 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. xUnit should be the default test framework for VS templates

xUnit is a more powerful and extensible test framework. .NET Core, and ASP.NET 5 use it as their default. xUnit also supports all current platforms .NET does, including Xamarin.

The default test framework for the Unit Test projects in VS should change to xUnit.

257 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

xUnit.net Test Project template is available on the Visual Studio Code Gallery.
    Also, the Create Unit Test wizard supports emitting tests in xUnit.net format (using the xUnit.net Test Extensions package).

Based on the above, I am marking this item declined.

Pratap Lakshman
    Visual Studio Team

4. Allow interactive filtering of Debug Output text

It would be very helpful if the Visual Studio Output window supported some sort regex-based filtering of the displayed debug output text, similar to the way DbgView does. This would make it easier to isolate specific lines that I'm interested in, e.g. from tracepoints added during debugging etc.

Using DbgView can be a rough workaround, but it would be really nice to be able to do this directly in Visual Studio while debugging, particularly for tracepoint-generated text, which DbgView obviously cannot see.

155 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestions to add advanced searching support to the Output window. We are not planning to invest in improvements to the Output window at this time. However, we are still working on the Diagnostic Tools window which has an events view. In the future, we may plan to make improvements to this view so you can see the Debug output events and have more advanced search and filter capabilities.

Thanks,
    Kaycee Anderson
    Visual Studio

5. Edit and Continue for TypeScript

Suggestion from 2 customers:
    -edit and continue for TypeScript editing during debugging
    -Typescript won't allow Edit and Continue while code in the solution is running. This is client typescript code that has no dependency from the running code

122 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support JavaScript/Managed mixed mode debugging

Provide the ability to debug both JavaScript and Managed code at the same time with one instance of Visual Studio.

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this idea. We have reviewed this and we will not be able to complete this suggestion in the foreseeable future. For now the only option is too attach both script and managed from two instances of Visual Studio though this solution isn’t ideal it should unblock development.

Andy Sterland,
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

7. "Do you want to stop debugging?" dialog

Major frown here for two reasons, both caused by the "Do you want to stop debugging?" dialog. 1) because it's modal I was unable to send a frown from the same instance of VS. For all the reasons that modal popups are evil, this dialog is evil. Please get rid of all modal popups from VS. 2) This popped up because I was attempting to close VS. If what I want to do is to close VS, then obviously I want to also stop debugging. I loathe this popup, more than the average popup. If I didn't want to stop…

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still important to you, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

8. Support Meteor JS Development

VS works great as an IDE for Meteor, but debugging support would be amazing!

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support //# sourceURL in in the JS debugger

Adding support for the source maps feature sourceURL would enable code that is dynamically loaded via eval to be bound to the file it originated from. This would enable setting breakpoints in the JS file and having them bind automatically rather than having to find the script in the "eval code" document and set the breakpoint there every time you reconnect the debugger.

Originated from Stack Overflow feedback: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26939271/how-to-debug-javascript-in-visual-studio-2013/26980686#comment42504289_26980686

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. ASP.NET Debugging, Break & Step Into (F11) To Continue

When you are debugging a windows forms application, you can break (pause) application in any time and press F11 (step into) to resume running. So then if you do anything on UI that handled in code, automatically break first line in code effected with your action without breakpoints. By this way you don't need to know which line you must should put the breakpoint.

Unfortunately this trick don't work in ASP.NET debugging. I wonder this is possible for ASP.NET debugging too?

Thanks,

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve Debugging Experience for TypeScript and JavaScript

The debugging experience for TypeScript and JavaScript NEEDS to be way better.

The experience available in IE F12 or WebKit dev tools should (in parts) be replicated within VS: things such as the console, and device emulation.

The way things are in NodeJs Tools for VS, are much better than what we have for ASP.Net and TS/JS debugging, which is a little sad :(

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enabled automatic JavaScript debugging via Page Inspector

When running a website under the Page Inspector, I think most people expect that JavaScript debugging will just work, especially considering the rest of the cool features in the Inspector.

It doesn't work by default and you have to jump through hoops each time to enable it. Possibly, this is because the debugger is already attached to the web server process for managed code debugging.

Either a many-attached debugger would be cool, else just a toggle button on the Page Inspector would suffice.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Show the Quick Watch dialog in the same color theme as the rest Visual Studio

I'm using Visual Studio with the Dark color theme. Most dialogs I use often are in the Dark color theme, but the Quick Watch dialog is still using the normal (Windows?) colors. This makes the arrows in the treelist almost invisible. I have attached a screenshot showing how difficult it is to see the treelist arrows.

Please also incorporate the Dark color theme in the Quick Watch dialog.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is a UI pattern that all Visual Studio is following – dialogs aren’t themed.
    If you are still seeing the arrows as very light, this is a bug. So, please log the feedback for us (either Connect, or through the integrated feedback tool in Visual Studio) and we will look at that.

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback!
    Maria Ghiondea
    Visual Studio Diagnostics

14. Allow breakpoints to be set/controlled within the 'Peek Definition' window.

This is a user workflow thing but I found myself using the peek window and wanting to set a breakpoint inside it (F9 or mouseclick), didnt see the feature so I thought I'd post it here..

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still important to you, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

15. Add Silverlight Developer Runtime to VS 2011 so we can debug Silverlight and not have uninstall the normal silverlight runtime.

Add Silverlight Developer Runtime to VS 2011 so we can debug Silverlight and not have uninstall the normal silverlight runtime. I work in a restricted network and IT maintains out desktop configurations very strictly. I cannot develop Silverlight apps because I cannot uninstall Silverlight.exe and install the development runtime. I would similare to the built in web server Casini.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Conditional breakpoint on a funtion's return value

The new feature of VS2013 debugger to see function return values is very nice.

It would be nice to be able to also set a conditional breakpoint on function return values.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

There are workarounds for this today:
    -For example you can do “Func() == 6” as a condition.  It won’t always work (if it is managed code that calls into native), and it may have side effects. 
    -By assigning the value of a function to a variable and then conditioning on that
    The other reason is that return values only exist in the debugger when you step, so the cost to use them in a breakpoint would be high to implement. We implement UserVoice suggestions based on the number of votes as well, and seeing as this one doesn’t have that many and for the reasons listed above, we would have to decline it.

Thank you for taking the time to log it and please provide others in the future as well!

18. Fix the bug in the VS2013 profiler

The built in profiler in Vs2012,VS2013 fails with a "Analysis of the log failed" when there's an app which has duplicate class names in some of their assemblies (in example, but not limited to MonoGame and XNA for WP8).

Sometimes duplications are hard to spot, thus providing a better solution than "log failed" would definitively help.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reporting this issue! The CPU Usage tool was released in VS2013, and if you can use it for your scenario should not have this problem:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/02/28/new-cpu-usage-tool-in-the-performance-and-diagnostics-hub-in-visual-studio-2013.aspx

Please report any further issues you have through the Visual Studio send-a-smile feedback:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt280277.aspx

Thanks!

Dan Taylor
    Program Manager | Visual Studio Profiler

19. In the Breakpoints debug panel, fix the keyboard shortcut

In the Breakpoints debug panel, delete a break point has the horrible keyboard shortcut of ALT+F9, D, but not DEL key. Can we make it the delete key?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Deactivate breakpoints from closed files until you open them.

I suggest to deactivate the breakpoints from the closed files until you open them.
    This will make more easily to developers to find bugs on an extended application with a lot of line code instead of activating/deactivating the breakpoints 1 by 1.

-Humberto

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t want to force you to have a source file open to hit the breakpoint, that could be confusing for the majority of the users accustomed to how BPs work today. But we could add something in the breakpoints window like “disable all breakpoints in files not currently open” for example – if you find that interesting, please open a separate item for it under the Debugger.
    Thanks!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base