Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

5,990 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    665 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve heard your feedback loud and clear, and we’ve been working on a solution. We’re therefore very happy to announce that we’ve now released a version of Macros that supports both Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2013.

While we were at it, we took the opportunity to fix a couple of bugs and improved the keyboard shortcuts.
    We hope you enjoy it.

For more information, see the blog post here: http://aka.ms/vsmacros

We’ve also open-sourced the code under the MIT license. If you have any suggestions or contributions, feel free to create an issue or a pull request in the new GitHub repo: http://github.com/Microsoft/VS-Macros

Justin Clareburt
    Senior Program Manager
    Visual Studio Extensibility Team

2. Show indent guides like Notepad++ does

Indent guides help quickly finding out where a scoop starts and where it ends. I think an advanced IDE like Visual Studio must have this feature. I know that there is an extension for this, but why doesn't Visual Studio have a basic feature like this natively?

3,159 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Supporters

I’m pleased to announce that this feature is now available for you to try out in the Visual Studio 2017 RC release. Check out more info and see a download link at:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/11/28/productivity-in-visual-studio-2017-rc/

You can also see it demonstrated in the recent VS Live presentation at:

https://channel9.msdn.com/events/Visual-Studio/Visual-Studio-Live-Redmond-2016/W15

… where I show a sneak preview of the guidelines at ~1h:07 into the talk.

I’d love to hear from supporters on how the feature looks in Visual Studio 2017 RC, and whether it’s meeting your needs; please drop me a line here on this UV item or directly at mwthomas at Microsoft dot com with your feedback!

Thanks
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

3. Cleanup the Solution Explorer context menu

The Solution Explorer context menu is totally ridiculous. We pay lots of attention to the toolbar buttons but people (groups within MS) continue to through everything plus the kitchen sink into the context menu. Let's not put features in your face at the cost of good usability.

2,234 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    60 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We re-ordered parts of the Solution Explorer project context menu in Visual Studio 2013 RC. You’ll find the ‘Add Reference’ and similar items in the ‘Add’ flyout and we’ve added a couple more flyouts to help reduce the root-level overload. Let us know what you think!

4. REMOVE "ALL CAPS"

Remove "all caps" in the toolbox´s titles.

2,070 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    55 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for voting and commenting on this issue.
    We are happy to share that we have made changes to the Menu Bar style in Visual Studio. In Visual Studio “14” CTP2 Menu Bar shows in Title Case and in Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 RC we have added a tools options control for you to pick Title Case styling or All Caps styling for the Menu Bar. Please refer to the following announcements for details –
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/08/visual-studio-14-ctp-2-available.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/02/update-3-release-candidate-for-visual-studio-2013.aspx
    If you are using Visual Studio 2012, you can change the Menu Bar style using this regkey –
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General
    DWORD: SuppressUppercaseConversion
    Value: 1

Visual Studio UX Team
    -—————————————————————————-

As Andrew McDonald suggests, we’ll close this item, as it referred to the all caps in Beta. Please refer to the link below to vote to remove the all caps in RC. Closing this item will return your votes from…

5. Support .editorconfig

It would be awesome if Visual Studio supported .editorconfig files like so many other editors and IDEs.

"EditorConfig helps developers define and maintain consistent coding styles between different editors and IDEs. The EditorConfig project consists of a file format for defining coding styles and a collection of text editor plugins that enable editors to read the file format and adhere to defined styles. EditorConfig files are easily readable and they work nicely with version control systems."

You can read more about it at http://editorconfig.org/

1,619 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    54 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi again supporters

We have implemented support for the .editorconfig file in Visual Studio 2017 RC.

Check out the RC at https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-2017-rc/

See documentation of the editorconfig feature at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/create-portable-custom-editor-options . You can set codebase-specific values for common editor settings at any level in your codebase’s file hierarchy, from the root down, and override them at any level too.

Please let us know how you get on – if you see any issues or have other feedback drop me a line at mwthomas at Microsoft dot com.

Thanks
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

6. Native multi-editing (multiple cursors and selections) support

Multiple selections/cursors in Sublime Text is by far the most useful editor feature I have in my toolbox. Using search and replace in Visual Studio is slow and unwieldy in comparison and I find myself frequently copying blocks of text into Sublime Text just to perform versatile edits using multiple cursors, after which I copy the result back into Visual Studio.

A future version of Visual Studio would win huge points with this feature alone.

1,328 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    38 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of Visual Studio 2017 Update 8 Preview 3 (15.8 Preview 3), we have introduced native support for Multi-Caret editing and selection. You can find all features/actions under the Edit > Multiple Cursors menu when you have focus in the editor. Currently, you can insert multiple carets, add a selection on the next match, and add selections on all matches. We look forward to hearing your feedback as we continue to improve this feature!

7. Ask before moving files in Solution Explorer tree.

Accidentally moving files to random directory really annoys.

1,305 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    61 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Color Theme Editor for 2017

Like 2012, 2013 and 2017, the IDE should have the ability to customize the colors. Either native or through an Extension.

1,106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. make all msdn documentation available off-line

Please bring us back to the good old days where all docs available off-line were available to download... if not free for all at least for msdn subscribers.
    Thank you

1,098 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    73 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! As we move our documentation from MSDN to docs.microsoft.com, we started rolling out the ability to download entire documentation sets in the form of PDF files. In addition, we have also revamped our offline help generation service, that will provide more content available through Help Viewer, bundled with Visual Studio.

- Den Delimarsky
    PM, docs.microsoft.com

10. New VS option "Go To Definition Implementation"

VS offers an option “Go to Definition” when you want to see a function definition; however, if your object is implementing an interface this option takes to that particular interface and you are forced to look for the object that implements this particular method. I propose a new option called “Go to Definition Implementation” which would take you to the object that implements that particular interface.

742 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Use proper mouse wheel routing

In the year 2011, maybe it's finally time to handle WM_MOUSEWHEEL by the window under the cursor, rather than using the backward way of handling them in the window with focus?

529 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Stop signing me out of Visual Studio! (and MSDN)

Pretty much every time I fire up Visual Studio I get greeted by the little yellow warning symbol asking me to re-enter my credentials.

I check the 'Remember my details' box (or whatever equivelent) but it makes little difference.

I work on two different computers (one at work and one at home) but do not consider this to be that unusual a set-up.

Incidentally I find that when F1'ing to get help, the MSDN page often asks me to sign in. I use Chrome as my daily driver browser but again this should be a fairly typical scenario.

I don't…

489 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make the Options dialog resizable

The current option dialog in not resizeable which makes it very hard to configure e.g. the keyboard view (only 4 lines of commands visible). Please make it resizeable!

460 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  23 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Visual Studio should be Touch-Friendly

Anyone who has put Visual Studio 2012 on a computer with a touch screen will attest to how bad the environment behaves when attempting to touch the screen.

Visual Studio should include either a full-fledged touch mode or include settings that allow users to take advantage of touch enabled devices.

460 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    31 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Touch Supporters,

As I mentioned in the feedback, we have addressed this suggestion in Visual Studio 2015, which supports touch gestures in the Visual Studio Editor only – you can scroll, select by double-tapping a word, select a line by single tap to the left of the line, pinch-zoom.

Try the Visual Studio 2015 (it’s available for download at https://www.visualstudio.com/) if you haven’t already done so, and send feedback via the in-product feedback feature. If there are other parts of Visual Studio that would be particularly valuable to you if they were touch enabled, please do let us know through that channel too.

Thanks!
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

15. Add ctrl-click go to definition from Productivity Power Tools

The VS2010 Productivity Power Tools had a ctrl-click go to definition feature. This was great and could be an easy option to add (does not need to be on by default).

423 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello supporters!

In Visual Studio 15.4, we added the popular Productivity Power Tools navigation feature Control Click Go To Definition to the core Visual Studio product.
    For supported languages (currently C#, VB and Python, with more languages coming in future releases), holding down the Ctrl key will allow you to click on a symbol in the Visual Studio editor and navigate to its definition.
    If you prefer to keep the older Ctrl+Click word selection behavior, you can control the feature’s key usage via Tools > Options > Text Editor > General > Enable mouse click to perform Go To Definition, which lets you select other modifier keys, or turn off the feature if you wish.

Thank you for helping us build a better Visual Studio.
    Allison Buchholtz-Au
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Team

16. Open fast

Make it so that opening a simple text file from Explorer is fast. It's just Text. Make it so fast to open that I no longer need a notepad replacement.
    Make VS2011 into the best notepad replacement!!

It's just text, after all. It's ALL text.

368 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello voters!

With Visual Studio 2017, we have reduced the time it takes to both start Visual Studio and load solutions. In some cases, these changes improve performance dramatically, in others incrementally.

We appreciate the responses and enthusiasm we’ve had on this thread, and wanted to share that we plan to continue to prioritize and improve Startup and Solution Load times in subsequent updates and releases. That said, knowing that we consider this a fundamental area and will continue to invest in it release after release, we want to allow people to allocate their votes in other places. Therefore, we’ll proceed to close this ask as “completed” and free up the votes to be placed elsewhere.

Please visit the following blog post to learn more about the startup improvements in Visual Studio 2017: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/10/10/faster-visual-studio-15-startup/

Thanks!
    Ruben Rios
    Program Manager
    Visual Studio IDE Team

17. Make change files faster

When you open 10 files or more, change between thems or close all is slow, more if some of the files are designers (WinForms, xaml)

307 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you to all who provided ideas and votes on this topic. We used that data to help prioritize the improvements starting in Visual Studio 2012, and continue with the releases after.

As we believe the change file experience is faster, we’d like to close this item as fixed to give your votes back to use on specific topics. Our Visual Studio performance team will continue working to improve performance at an ongoing basis. When you have specific performance issues, it’s now really easy to use the feedback tools right inside Visual Studio to send us feedback with performance traces, see instructions on how to do this here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt280277.aspx; these traces help us to home in on your issues more precisely.

Please use Visual Studio (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566) and continue your feedback and votes– we highly value your feedback.

Visual Studio Team

18. Bring PowerShell support to the editor

In 2005 there was VBScript support, and the general consensus is that PowerShell is the wave of the future for scripting. Why can't it be brought into VS as a supported language with IntelliSense? It seems like the wheel was reinvented when the PowerShell ISE was developed when it can also be done in VS.

306 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Restore usability of the new Error List window in VS 2015

1. Restore the ability to sort all entries by their addition time ("Default Order" in VS2013 and older). In VS 2015 RC, messages keep "jumping" as they are generated, which makes it nearly impossible to work with the Error List during a long build without stoping it.

2. Restore (at least as an option) full clearing of Error List on build start, or at least add a button or context menu option to clear it manually. It is very confusing in VS 2015 RC when fixed errors and warnings stay there for half of the build process until the compiler…

268 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Supporters of this suggestion

As noted by Göran W in the comments, we believe that the 3 issues noted in the suggestion post have been addressed in VS2015 Update 2 (or later)

1. If you clear any existing sorts, by clicking through up/down/no-sort states until there are no chevrons/arrows indicating custom sorts on any columns, the default sort should now be approximately in a “generated” order that should give you what you need (customer on Connect bug at http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1206075/error-list-window-removal-of-default-order has verified this)

2. The Error List (Build) is now cleared on each build / compile by default

3. When double-clicking a line in the Error List, it jumps to the relevant source line but if you switch to the Output Window the corresponding error line is highlighted.

If you are still seeing any of these issues on Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 or higher (I notice Anonymous’ posting to…

20. Add high resolution icons for those who use high DPI screens

When you set your screen to high DPI (>100%) icons in toolbars get really blurry. In VS 2010 it was a pain to create great UI while your ide looked so bad.

Icons should look pixel perfect independently of your DPI.

251 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi High-DPI supporters!

We’re marking this suggestion as completed as we’ve greatly improved the high-DPI experience over the past 2 releases of Visual Studio! If you do find areas or images in the IDE that aren’t scaling as expected or are blurry, etc. please share those with us via the smiley face/feedback command in the IDE or via Connect: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio.

If you’re using multiple displays that have different DPIs and experiencing issues with that experience, I’d encourage you to vote up the per-monitor DPI suggestion: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/5429060-make-visual-studio-per-monitor-multi-monitor-dpi-a.

Thanks for your support on this suggestion and happy coding!

Thanks!
    Cathy Sullivan
    Visual Studio IDE Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base