Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Workflow service standalone execution without hosting

Provision to run Windows workflow service without hosting as service, like standalone application

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support resizing WF designer components

Static designer item (node?) size has been an inconvenience for our real-world use cases. In our pilot project using WF4, Windows Workflow has demonstrated itself as useful for our enterprise -- developers understand the code behind the activities, while Business Analysts understand the overall flowcharts. But the small node size sometimes gets in the way, for both audiences.

For example -- and this is somewhat contrived, to obscure our business logic, but it's a frequently occurring problem -- an Assignment node with:

"BlueFoobarWidget.Status = TheWidgetObject.Status"

Is partially hidden by the small node size, so it actually appears to read 'BlueFoobarWidget…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion. The suggestion was made five years ago and has a low number of votes. In an effort to determine what scenarios customers still find relevant, we are closing old suggestions. Please create a new one if you feel this scenario is important.
    - WF team

3. Service Bus activities

I'd like the possibility to have workflow services interact with ServiceBus (on Azure or on-premise).
    I'd like to be able to manage queues and topics, to add subscriptions and rules but, most important, to be able to send and receive messages.
    Send and receive activities should induce the workflow idle, so that workflows are off the memory while waiting for messages.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion. The suggestion was made three years ago and has a low number of votes. In an effort to determine what scenarios customers still find relevant, we are closing old suggestions. Please create a new one if you feel this scenario is important.
    - WF team

4. Ability to switch Variables and Arguments

I would like to use designer to switch Variables and Arguments. A variable could move to arguments list. And an argument could move to variables.
    It could be a good refactoring feature.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion. The suggestion was made five years ago and has a low number of votes. In an effort to determine what scenarios customers still find relevant, we are closing old suggestions. Please create a new one if you feel this scenario is important.
    - WF team

5. Force workflow into state

i would like it should possible to force a Workflow into a Specific state say i have a system which i wan to integrate the statemachine workflow, the current orders will ultimately not go through the process which is not desirable

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion. The suggestion was made three years ago and has a low number of votes. In an effort to determine what scenarios customers still find relevant, we are closing old suggestions. Please create a new one if you feel this scenario is important.
    - WF team

6. Ability to know references before to load a workflow defintion

It could be really usefull when we have to load xaml files (XamlServices.Load) to know assemblies referenced before to instanciate an activity.

It could permit to preload assemblies.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

7. Expand All for complete view of workflow

Maybe I am missing something, but the XAML designer doesn't seem to have an option to show all workflow steps at the top level. Once you drop in a Sequence or a Parallel activity you have to double click to navigate in to the activity and see it's details. An Expand All function that shows all subitems expanded will be great. Somewhat similar to the pre-XAML designer was quite the opposite of today's designer in the sense it would show everything which you make it huge and clunky quickly. I like the new designer, just the option of seeing all…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

8. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion. The suggestion was made almost five years ago and has a low number of votes. In an effort to determine what scenarios customers still find relevant, we are closing old suggestions. Please create a new one if you feel this scenario is important.
    - WF team

9. Remove formatting information from XAML files in Windows Workflow

Remove formatting information (position of elements in designer tool) used to display the xaml file from within the file itself. Or - in the diff tool ignore formatting changes that include the formatting information.

It makes it difficult to visually see what has changed in a Workflow when formatting information changes as there is ALOT of it, and editing a few nodes seem to have consequences on the entire file not just the node itself.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion. The suggestion was made almost five years ago and has a low number of votes. In an effort to determine what scenarios customers still find relevant, we are closing old suggestions. Please create a new one if you feel this scenario is important.
    - WF team

10. WorfklowApplication should support Durable Delays

I would like to self host a workflow application by a Windows Service application. This application schedules a set of emails to be sent at set times. I implemented this as a hosted Workflow Service using delays and persistence. Because Worfkflow Service supports durable delays if for any reason my windows service restarts, all the scheduled tasks will resume as scheduled and this is automatic.

Because my service is self contained, it doesn't need to receive requests from external AppDomains - it is an addon to a legacy system and the trigger for the initial task scheduling is a database…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

11. WPF

Make the color of the unused area around the WPF Window designer surface a configurable setting. As a visually impaired developer, having the background being white makes it difficult to use the designer. In previous versions it was black.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

12. Enable customization for FlowNode-like activities

There is NO way to create a custom activity similar to those in a flowchart - with multiple exit paths and custom design. A try-catch activity in a flowchart fashion would be nice, but there is no way to even create one from scratch.

Why there is no love for Flowcharts anymore?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion. The suggestion was made two years ago and has a low number of votes. In an effort to determine what scenarios customers still find relevant, we are closing old suggestions. Please create a new one if you feel this scenario is important.
    - WF team

13. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

14. Workflow Metaprogramming Language

I'd like to introduce my workflow metaprogramming language, it's just a prototype.

Metah.W(MW) is a C#-derived metaprogramming language for Windows Workflow Foundation 4.5. It provides an alternative way of composing activities to the WF designer. Its website is https://github.com/knat/Metah .
    I'd love to hear your comments.
    Regards

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Change layout of activities in XAML

Currently activities are nested inside their parent.
    If possible make all activities layed out as a list and add parent/child relations to define the control flow between them.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

16. Being able to step into an Activity's implementation when debugging a workflow

It could just be me, but I've never been able to step into the underlying C# when debugging a workflow for an Activity. I've always had to set a break point in code to enter the implementation.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

17. Add an "Add Matching Variable" option to the Expression Text Box

I want my users to be able to add the necessary variable to hold my activity argument without having to figure out how to e.g. construct a generic type using the designers type picker.

I've written one myself but it would be nice if the framework supplied it on all of the built-in activities

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

18. Ability to use a Property argument in expressions

I have a workflow (lets call it customActivity1) that do the basic actions for my system. I also have another workflow (customActivity2) that uses customActivity1 and do higher level actions. When I call customActivity1, I must pass on a few parameters, like Boolean or String values. I want to show some of these parameters as a checkbox or combobox (so the developer of customActivity2 can pass on only valid values) and found out that I can do that by setting the argument as PROPERTY (instead of In).
    By doing a research, I also found out that you can’t directly use…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

19. Update MorphHelper.ActivityActionMorphHelper to support all variants of ActivityAction

ActivityActionMorphHelper only morphs ActivityAction<T>, not the other 15 variants up to ActivityAction<T1, ... , T16>.

To support type morphing of ActivityAction types other than the single generic version, a custom implementation is required. The out of the box morphing logic should really cater for all 16 types of ActivityAction morphs.

My workaround is described at http://www.neovolve.com/post/2010/09/30/Custom-Windows-Workflow-activity-for-dependency-resolutione28093Part-4.aspx

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

20. Allow the WorkflowDesigner to open XAML with other classes

Currently the WorkflowDesigner will open XAML only if the class is Activity or WorkflowService. This prevents inheritance and extensibility.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- WF team

Feedback and Knowledge Base