Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visiual studito for mac

Im using visiual studio for mac and i cant use the windows form application its not there but for my works i need the windows form application so please do somthing about it.thank you

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. A Windows Winform 2016 (Colorful) Ribbon

How about something useful for a change for us Windows developers. A free 2016 Office ribbon that would be fully programmable for Winforms.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. PLEASE STOP playing error bells if a form has no accept or cancel button set.

I know, Windows Forms is in maintenance mode. And I know that the whole enormously annoying error bell thing was originally an "intended behavior."

But seriously, just about every developer who works with windows forms HATES this behavior. From practically everyone's point of view at this point, it's an egregious quirk! It's a nasty bug! Am I not right?

So can we please have it fixed?

For any who might not immediately know what I'm talking about, here it is:

If you have a textbox on a form, and you don't want that form to have any accept or cancel…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Provide WinForms data binding without using strings

When refactoring code in a WinForms project, it's sometimes difficult to keep the UI up-to-date. For example, given the following line of code in a Designer file:

this.luContact.DataBindings.Add(new System.Windows.Forms.Binding("EditValue", this.bsServiceJob, "PrimaryBillingCustomerContactID", true));

I may want to change the name of PrimaryBillingCustomerContactID to, say, PrimaryCustomerContactID. CodeLens doesn't show any references for the PrimaryBillingCustomerContactID property as it's databound only. Using refactoring to change the name of the property breaks the UI as the string isn't updated.

I'd like to see something along these lines:

this.luContact.DataBindings.Add(new System.Windows.Forms.Binding("EditValue", this.bsServiceJob, x => x.PrimaryBillingCustomerContactID, true));

so that the use of the property in databinding is known…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Set Windows Forms controls to be DoubleBuffered = true; by deffault.

New net frameworkversions cannot run on old OS, so I think it is pointless to keep this property on false, by deffault. It is a tedious job to make dublebuffered controls over and over again. Thank You, and keep the good work.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Windows future? Set the direction to REQUIRE only user initiated development direction.

Windows 10 is much slower than windows 7 even with all latest patches applied. Let me qualify this statement. CMD batch jobs run much much slower in windows 10, about 100 times slower.

Enterprise apps....SLOWER!

Gaming stuff using SLI and advanced MMX seems to be the same.

What gives? Should I convert my enterprise apps and batch jobs to be a MMX-SLI game?

Windows 10 out of the box includes about 100 things that slow down your PC and it adds a second control panel called "Settings" which is totally unnecessary.

Only one Control Panel please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you think…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. i develop control like Combobox but is better than traditional Combobox i hope to put it in visual studio Toolbox

name LinkedCombobox work with C# and VB.NET this control designed To Drag and drop with specific Properties to link it with DataSource (Sql Server , Access) in seconds, the control does not need to refresh other wise combobox, linkedCombobox better than Traditional combobox in search cause the search in any part of item.
    I hope To add it with Next version of visual studio

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow the Windows Forms designer to design forms and user controls based on custom derived types.

I sometimes use a user control/form base class other than those that come with .NET. Those base classes are always derived themselves from types that the Visual Studio Windows Forms designer can work with. But it chokes on my custom types--especially if those types are generics.

Perhaps the designer could have a simulated property, presumably at the top, listing types known to the designer. It'd list only form types if the class being designed is a form and user control base classes if the class is a user control. If the selected base class is a generic, properties would then…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. debugging WinForm could not see the form

When debugging a WinForm application, the form could not be seen. When the breakpoint hit, I want to check the changing of the form, I could not click the icon in Taskbar to active it.

Please allow Visual Studio could watch the form changing when debugging.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Zoom in windows program visual studio

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351801/zoom-in-windows-program-visual-studio.html
    I think it is very useful to include the possibility of magnification and reduction also in the window of visual design as well as in the programming window in visual studio

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ok I see

Delete

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. properties scrolebar not proper work

i am student of Aptech hyderabad sindh Pakistan

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. designer can't save changes

designer can't save changes in winforms project, it would be fine know why. Actually just show a generic message.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please add support for SAP Crystal report....in VS 17

In VS 17 there is no option of reporting like VS 15..plz add this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. fix a bug pertaining to the names of new forms.

I discovered a small bug regarding the creation of new forms. This is not a bug that would really ever be encountered, but in testing my program I encountered it.

My program uses code to determine if a form is open and if so activates the form instead of creating a new instance of the form. It does so by comparing the name of the form to be opened to the names of the currently open forms. The application was working fine with the forms I had already worked on (modified), but when I created new forms, to be used…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. get everyone more involved

open mind......think outside the box

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please add a tool-tip with control's name so I don't have to dig it out of the properties box each time.

Once in a while, I am creating/editing a design in a form and simply want to know the names of the other controls so I don't name the control I am working with a confusing name. When you do a mouse-over a control while in design mode, it would be nice if a tool-tip text would simply pop up that has the control's name?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base