Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for defining the design-time value of any property

Currently one has specialized attributes like d:DesignWidth to define a width in the designer, while having no effect at all at runtime. It would be useful to be able to prefix any existing property to have a specific design-time value.
    E.g. I know my user control will be over a dark parent and its text is white. To ease designing the control, I may want to do:

Other example, let's say I have a custom markup extension to lookup some label names... but of course at design time they are empty... Let's fix this poor design experience:

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio XAML Experiences team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. 

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us! 

Daniel Jacobson
    Program Manager, Visual Studio XAML Experiences Team

2. Make XAML Bindings type save

Would be great to define an Interface or Type for the DataContext of a Container in XAML and than have the Compiler Check the Bindings used in this Container and its Child Elements (not having a own Definition) recursive...

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a PhotoShop-style Layer Comp toolwindow for use with the XAML editor.

Add a Layer Comp style toolwindow for use in editing complex XAML pages by grouping items by visibility in the designer and quickly switching between views on the same page.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio XAML Experiences team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. 

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us! 

Daniel Jacobson

4. Fix MVVM so you can bind Events to Commands from the GUI instead of all that typing

Fix the VS GUI so you can Bind Events (all events! Including the overrides from the parent) to Commands (just like binding properties) so that MVVM is not such a pain in the ***.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

5. XAML VisualStateManager Visualizer

When debugging an app that uses the XAML VisualStateManager highlight the active VisualState within the XAML code editor to allow a developer to see that the StateTriggers are working correctly without needing to rely upon specific Setters on other controls.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

6. improve working with controls inside controls

right now it is pretty difficult to work with controls that are inside of other controls. You have to use find control to use them which is slow and not too intuitive. It is also difficult to localize them, etc. Please improve this.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is closing it at this time.

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

7. Visually compare xaml differences

When performing a code-review, it would be great if we could actually see how a UI has changed from the original. I don't think it needs to highlight the differences as long as it renders them.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

8. Xaml Styler didn't work with @VisualStudio 2013

I am wondering if Microsoft will come up a tool like xamlstyler.codeplex.com to beautify XAML

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to open page markup from code behind. Currently we only have option to open designer but not the markup

Hello All,

I have observed that from Code behind (.cs), there is no direct option to go to the page's markup. We can go to the designer, but cannot directly open the markup of the page.

I would like to post this as a suggestion to MS VS2010 community if they can enhance this feature in VS2011.

Thanks and Regards,

Shalabh Gupta

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. When working on code in a WPF project with Visual Studio 2015 or later, if you view the designer you’ll also be able to view the XAML markup.

If this doesn’t address your suggestion, please create a new one. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

10. Provide us with Xbox One Version of VS Express

It would be awesome if we could start creating apps and games for Xbox One store before the hardware comes out. Perhaps we could make it work with current Kinect and Xbox 360 controllers on our windows 8 hardware??

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

11. XAML Tag collapse clicking closing tags

When I want to collapse a tag in the xaml editor I have to scroll at the opening tag and click the +/- button. With a sort of +/- button close to the closing tag I wouldn't have to scroll. scrolling is annoying for big tags.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

12. Fix Drag and Drop Data Binding

If you implement the Drag and Drop feature on a GridView or ListView bound to a collection of controls. When sorting them, they sometimes swap bindings and take on the bindings of the object which was previously in the new position. Primarily the dependency properties. Aka, if item one was bound to a string, firstName="Hank", and you drag and drop it, it would sometimes inherit the bindings of the previous object (firstName="John")

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

13. XAML WPF + UWP Bindable Margin en Padding sides

It would be great if it was possible in all XAML versions (WPF and Mobile WP + UWP) to be able to set bindings to the sides of a margin and padding.
    Especially since universal apps are possible it would be very nice to set a binding to one side of a margin or padding.

This is not even possible in UWP xaml because the properties Left, Right, Bottom and Top are not exposed nor dependency properties:
    <Button>
    <Button.Margin>
    <Thickness Left={x:Bind CalculatedLeftMargin} />
    </Button.Margin>
    </Button>

And that also looks a bit ugly, something like this would even be nicer to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

14. Seperate Code and Design Window so I can display on different monitors

Some Times I want to put the Design Window in a different monitor, so I can concentrate on the code but I want to still see the results, this is especially true for Modern apps that can take up a lot of space. Currently the windows are tied together and can't be separated.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. allow windows phone 7.5/7.8 sdk to work with visual studio 2012 professional

it really says everything in the title.
    I find visual studio 2012 easier to use than 2010 express but i only have windows 7 so i cant use the windows phone 8 sdk

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Improve XAML styling

Make XAML style more like CSS. Allow easily styling all properties / elements matching certain selector paths.
    Replacing control templates should never be needed for simple styling changes.
    It should be easier and less verbose to reuse a style in multiple files, extend (BasedOn) the style that would be used if no style is specified explicitly.

Focus on hand-written, readable XAML!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

17. Support dynamic register custom theme for APP

Most of time, an app should provide different theme for different user, not depend of the system.
    I think UWP should support dynamic register custom theme, not the HighContrast or others.
    If a new theme style file added in the App.xaml, the new theme's "Name" will be registered for the app by the runtime system Automatically.
    e.g
    I add a "MyStyle.xaml" theme style file to ThemeDictionaries of App.xaml(<ResourceDictionary x:Key="MyStyle" Source="Styles/MyStyle.xaml"/>), when I want to use "MyStyle" theme, the only things is call this.RequestedXXXTheme = "MyStyle";

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Daniel Jacobson

18. localization

In newly announced Android Studio exist one very cool feature - ability to show all screens with different language settings. In Visual Studio 2012 we have a very helpful / useful Device View. It would be amazing to have option to choose localization language to preview in XAML Designer. This way I will be able to adjust my UI or change my localization, without running tons of emulators.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

19. To have visualstyles creator support

I like to have an option to create or program visualstyles for the taskbar using visual studio.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

20. XAML Designer: 'Fit all' and 'Fit to selection' buttons in top toolbar

The UWP,... XAML Designer could really do with two buttons: 'Fit all' and 'Fit to selection'. The current way to do that is a bit to cumbersome to use.

Ideally both should be toggle buttons representing 'state' so the zoom would be automatically adjusted to the available space. If the current 'setting' is un-toggled, the last 'user' zoom could be applied.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

Feedback and Knowledge Base