Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix irritating WPF UserControl template

When creating a new WPF UserControl, the design template that gets created has d:DesignHeight="300" d:DesignWidth="300" ... note the height before the width which is contrary to most conventions. This trips me up EVERY time I create a new control. It's just a little irritation but would be quick to fix.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio XAML Experiences team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. 

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us! 

Daniel Jacobson
    Program Manager, Visual Studio XAML Experiences Team

2. RowDefinition Smarter intelliSense

I am writing the Walkthrough Getting started with WPF (C#)
    I am modifying the file ExpenseItHome.XAML

This is for the <Grid> (System.Windows.Control.Grid)

I am typing the <Grid.RowDefinitions> sections

I type <RowDefinition and I select Height

="" appears and now all I need to do is type a number

OR

Auto

Here is the suggestion:

If I type "a" or "A" then Auto automatically is displayed.

Also there should include the /> after "

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Better support for cross assembly embedded fonts

It has become my practice to embed all of my fonts in a single assembly and then referencing the fonts in that assembly from other assembly. This helps to reduce the redundantly embedded font when that font is used in multiple assemblies. It would be nice if the tools supported this as an option.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio XAML Experiences team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. 

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us! 

Daniel Jacobson

4. Restrict Behavior visibility

When I define a System.Windows.Interactivity.Behavior for e.g. an ItemsControl, like

public class SomeAwesomaticBehavior : Behavior
    {
    }

it will appear in Visual Studio's XAML editor (and probably in the Designer too) even for ordinary, non-Items-Controls and throw nasty runtime exceptions. This is contrary to Attached Properties which will appear only for intended types.

The designer and the XAML editor must be updated to respect a behavior's scope. Because it surely does confuse co-workers and designer folks when a lot of Behaviors pop up that don't have anything to do with the current object.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

5. Stop deleting "unneeded" colspan tags from code, or add an off button for the functionality.

Right now, if you have a table with one row having 1 column, and inside of it, a repeater with 2 columns that creates rows, visual studio doesn't seem to let you make a colspan="2" tag for the top row. Once you hit save, it deletes the colspan attribute. There seems to be no "off switch" for this functionality. Please add one.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

6. Microsoft Windows Simulator

Hi,

Maybe Microsoft Windows Simulator can change resolution to something like a Windows Phone resolution for uwp xaml debug, with standard Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps features without HyperV. Please. Lot of Help.

Thank You

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Daniel Jacobson

7. Change target Windows SDK

I'm working on UWP, but I can't use some of theme resource, so I think it because that theme resource(specifically, color accent theme resource) are only available in SDK build 10.0.14393. However, VS2017 doesn't have an option to change SDK version and doesn't show project targeted SDK, I think VS2017 still target older version of SDK that was included when I selected UWP development when I installed VS2017. So, I hope VS team will add at least something to indicate project's targeted SDK or even better an option to change it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Prevent Document Outline from Rearranging XAML

When using the Document Outline window, it rearranges my XAML by placing nested elements on multiple lines, when they were originally on a single line. This can sometimes almost triple the number of lines in my *.xaml file, and greatly increase the amount of scrolling necessary when editing (this happens in both Visual Studio and Blend). I would like to have a way to control whether or not my code is rearranged when using the Document Outline (or other utilities, but in my case mostly Document Outline).

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

9. Allow Editing of Popup XAML Control in Visual Studio Designer

I often use the Popup control in my XAML. However, the designer in Visual Studio 2015 does not display Popup controls, therefore making it very hard to edit them. I usually need to resort to removing (or commenting) the Popup tag so that I have just the Child (usually a Grid or Border) while editing. I think that when the cursor is in the Popup in the XAML code the Popup should be visible in the Designer, and not visible when the cursor is outside the Popup. This would greatly simplify and speed up editing the Popup controls.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

10. Show Errors for Illegal Margin & Padding Values

In some projects I receive runtime errors if I have negative values in properties of type Thickness in my XAML. However, the designer does not mark these as illegal XAML, the code compiles with no errors, and the runtime errors seem almost unrelated and meaningless (they don't even mention the XAML). I have been told by some that negative values are allowed, others have told me that they are not, and I have had apps and code that both do and do not allow them (some apps are OK with them, others refuse to run until I remove the negatives).…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

11. Stop rearranging XAML when using designer

When editing my XAML using the visual designer, it often rearranges my XAML markup by putting tags previously on one line on multiple lines. This can greatly increase the number of lines in code, make the code harder to read, and definitely require more scrolling. I don't care if the designer creates new elements on one or multiple lines, but when it rearranges my entire document, it makes me very hesitant to use it. Please make rearranging of code optional through settings (or stop rearranging it altogether, since VS has the ability to do that manually already).

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make specific context menu for WPF projects

When working with a WPF project on any edition VS, the context editor should replace the "Add Form" (from windows forms projects) to a WPF Add Form. Same with user controls.

Also, you should add a "View Markup" when selecting a .xaml file.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base