Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 851 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 595 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Design View available for x64 target platforms with custom elements

Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms when the document contains custom elements (XAML with a user control, for example).

412 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Starting with Visual Studio 2015, we have enabled you to design/author your XAML even when you target anything but x86. Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 should bring together several fixes and changes to have this experience work even better.

However, it is worth noting that we will not be able to execute any code you might have written in the designer when the project is targeting anything but x86. This is because of the restriction that an x86 process (which the XAML designer is) cannot run ARM or x64 code. You should be able to view and edit all of the XAML on the page, with any custom types replaced with replacements to preserve the WYSIWYG experience as much as possible (and switch to x86 when you really care about running the code in the designer).

Thanks,
    Unni

Program Manager,
    Visual Studio

4. Separate WPF designer from xaml text editor

Separating designer from xaml text editor will allow use them on multiple monitors. Also it takes times to open a xaml file because the designer loads. Even if only xaml text editor is visible. I prefer to edit xaml manualy and don't need the designer. If i need it some day, i will open it explicitly

272 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Disable visual editor for XAML content

When I edit XAML file, I not use visual designer. Please, add option for removing XAML visual designer from IDE and increase performance of handwrite XAML editor (ideally, performance in hadwrite XAML editor should be such as C# editor).

132 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Go to Definition of resource in xaml

When you select a resource and press F12 you navigate to the declaration of the Resource according to the x:Key value

110 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide intellisense for resources in the WPF xaml editor

It would be nice to have intellisense in the xaml editor for resources (styles, brushes, templates etc) that are stored in the resource dictionaries.

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide XAML Designer mouse wheel to zoom settings like in Blend

Add setting to change key modifier to zoom with mouse wheel.
    Now there is only default Blend behavior possible in VS 11 designer - scrolling mouse wheel is zooming content.
    I use laptop for development and use touchpad. So scrolling to zoom is absolutely unusable.
    In Blend i can set to scrool with Wheel but zoom with Ctrl + Wheel. It works great with touchpad, so I can zoom with "pinch to zoom" and scroll vertically with "two finger scroll" and scroll horisontally with Shift + "two finger scroll".
    This is currently unavailable in VS 11 :( !

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Open Source Behaviors SDK (XAML) for Visual Studio 2013

In all XAML Based technologies we use Behaviors all the time, on of the most important behavior we use is the InvokeCommandAction behavior, so we can link an event to a command when working in MVVM for example, the fact that EventTriggerBehavior supports only specific events as shown here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn469361.aspx , prevent us from using our own made events, open sourcing this SDK will help extending it to be used in better ways

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently announced our Open Source efforts around Behaviors here: https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2015/11/30/xaml-behaviors-open-source-and-on-uwp/.

We are super excited by what we can enable working together with our community to evolve our efforts around Behaviors going forward. Please use the following GitHub repo to add more suggestions and feedback on how we should be taking this project going forward.

https://github.com/Microsoft/XamlBehaviors/

Thanks,
    Unni Ravindranathan
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

10. Add windows 10 hamburger menu and title templates by default

This way, it makes it way easier to make our apps fit the default UWP design. (similar to how people could easily make hubs/pivot apps in WP8.1).

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automated add xml namespaces(xmlns)

Automated add xml namespaces(xmlns) for importing different types, in xaml like in ReSharper.
    It will be great feature that allow to save many time for SL/WPF developers

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow NuGet packages containing XAML controls to add entries to the toolbox

It should be possible to add entries to the toolbox for XAML controls that are contained within a nuget package.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make it possible for us to name areas of our XAML code

My idea is a kind of meta-tag with a name and a description. You'd use it by placing an opening meta-tag somewhere in your XAML and a closing meta-tag somewhere below. Whenever your mouse pointer hovered over a clear area of the XAML window that's inside the region defined by your meta-tag (somewhere without any XAML, like a white line, or the blank area before or after any XAML tag), the tooltip would show the name and description given in your meta-tag.

In another related subject, the #region and #endregion directives could also have the same behaviour, but in the…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Separate the XAML and Design on windows phone app

When you have a big screen or extended monitor to use VS 2011 on windows phone app, I would like to suggest you that allow separate the design screen and XAML in a different screens outside VS. For example, I want keep in VS windows only XAML and C# code. In this case, I want open the design screen outside VS.NET IDE.
    I believe that this is important to developer and designer to see how the design is.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable Xaml snippets in the Xaml editor

Enable code snippets for xaml , similar to html snippets for creating controls and panels

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. x:Bind Path IntelliSense

Since x:Bind is strongly typed there should be no reason why path autocompletion would'nt work.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add support for Peek Definition in XAML view in Visual Studio and XAML Intellisense in Blend

It is nice to see Peek Definition support added in VS13 preview for C# but it is not available for XAML view

In Blend preview, Intellisense is still not available in XAML

I think VS13 must have the above two

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add XAML Intellisense support for x:Static

Currently, when using x:Static in XAML, I always need to check the actual type and member names on the internet or other sources, because the IDE does not provide any auto complete support. For example, when referencing the SystemColors class, I need to look up the exact member names on MSDN, you can hardly know all of them.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fix XAML indenting automatically in the same way indenting is fixed in the code editor

If you delete some XAML or move it around, the indenting gets all messed up and it makes it ****** to read. In the code editor, whenever you change any code or delete/move the IDE pretty much ALWAYS sorts out the indenting of the lines around it so that it is all still readable. In XAML however you have to go in and tab everything back to the right indent levels manually.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fix the WPF Editor Memory Leaks

If you open a xaml document the WPF editor starts using insane amounts of memory even if you open and close the xaml document within 5 seconds of opening it. The memory and ram usage will continue increasing until you close Visual Studio.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base