Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SketchFlow for XAML/C# UI development prototyping for Windows Store Apps

Would be great to utilize this framework that was for WPF and Silverlight prototyping for creating Windows 8 / store apps with XAML and C#/C++

Could use presets/prefabs based on recommended guidelines to quickly design & simulate UX/UI experiences for quick prototyping. All done in Blend/VS for faster development.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. replace xaml with freindlier language

As a long time user in xaml language on different platforms (WPF, windows store and a bit windows phone), I came to a conclusion that xaml is not the right language for these technologies since their capabilities are vast and that create a lot of overhead when expressing that in xaml

Clearly xaml creators wanted to harness the extensibility of the XML type language but neglected other difficulties

I've discovered 4 main difficulties:

1. For each control there are many properties that are being defined and many of these properties are constantly being extended. In a medium size window/page, it’s…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Merge Blend And Visual Studio

Why we need 2 tools? VS already has a visual editor.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

While we continue to invest in making the XAML editor in VS (and some of the capabilities of the XAML designer in VS) better, we believe Blend is the right place to expose all of the capabilities (like States, Timeline, Resources, etc.) for UI design and development. We will also continue to invest in making it much more of a smoother experience than it is today when it comes to switching focus between the two tools.

Thanks,
    Unni

Program Manager,
    Visual Studio

4. Allow WPF support without XAML

I can't stand XAML, the language is a hybrid of XML that was never intended to be used the way it is.

WPF looks great, and allows designers to do some pretty fun tricks, but dealing with the XAML code is a nightmare. Can you please allow us to create WPF applications without ever even seeing or writing a single character of XAML?

Allow for C# code to be written for an entire WPF application! Please!

From what I understand XAML is converted to C# anyway during compile time, so for those of us who can't stand XAML let us…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Android App

This will help for every cross platform

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add nameof into XAML

nameof is very powerful in C# 6.0.
    But in xaml, there is still no have this keyword.
    I code a windows store app and use mvvm like this:
    <Core:EventTriggerBehavior EventName="Click">
    Sometimes, I spell wrong "Click", but I found this after the app launched.

So, please add nameof into XAML. It is time to update the XAML.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Parallelize XAML parser code (based on VS11 preview)

Currently, XAML editor in VS11 preview is taken from Expression Blend. Which is a good thing, but bad thing of it, it cannot parse xaml file in parallel. I have 4xSSD RAID0 array and 8 core machine, and it only utilize 1 core and disk io is close to nothing. You can surely utilize all the machine horsepower.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

XAML parsing is pretty fast and is not necessarily a performance bottleneck. Depending on the number of Visual elements in the current document and complexity of those visuals , creation of the design view might be impacted. In the performance profiles we have investigated , time taken to parse a document is pretty insignificant.

Thanks a bunch for bringing this up, we are always looking into improving our XAML editing and designing performance.

8. pls develop uwp professional browser similar IE

pls develop uwp professional browser similar IE

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. If I am a designer, why do I need to install VS to get Expression Blend to work with TFS?

Please give us Team Explorer inside Blend so we can map new TFS workspaces without having to install VS.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. XAML Designer middle mouse pan

The middle mouse button should pan the view when you click it in the Xaml designer preview.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Setter.Property smarter IntelliSense

In a app.XAML file.

In <Application.Resources>

<Style x:Key="headerTextStyle">
    <Setter Property="

Nothing happens here

All the possible Controls should appear automatically here

Like this:

<Setter Property="Control 1
    Control 2
    Control 3...

In this case I was looking for a Label control

<Setter Property="Label.

After I select Label. then all their properties should be displayed as usual like this:

VerticalAlignment
    FontFamily
    FontWeight
    FontSize
    Foreground...

<Setter Property="Label.VerticalAlignment" Value="Center"></Setter>

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. UWP C++ only Workload in Visual Studio Installer

With the advent of C++/WinRT we could have a customizable C++ only workload without installing VB.NET, C#, etc.

Blend should also not be installed by default.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we will not be able to address this feedback. In Visual Studio 2017, we have done a lot of work to improve the overall acquisition experience and making sure that you only get the tools that you want. At the same time, we also want to make it really easy for users to get started with the product, and we do need to be mindful of making sure that we default to the tools that benefit the vast majority of our developers. This is the primary reason why .NET and Blend are not separate components in the installation experience.

Thanks!
    Unni
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools

14. Bring back hosting of Silverlight in ASP.NET MVC

In previous versions of Visual Studio, there was an option to host Silverlight in an ASP.NET MVC application, however, it appears that option has been removed from Visual Studio 2013. It would be great if that option was added backed into the Visual Studio IDE to allow hosting Silverlight in ASP.NET MVC applications once more.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Having Windows 10 SDK For Windows Insiders in VS 2017 Preview a option

When you have Visual Studio 2017 Preview so you can get updated SDK if you are Windows Insider automatically could help and can get preview SDK faster to Windows Insider developers

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

With Visual Studio Preview builds (https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/preview/), we do include certain specific versions of the Windows 10 SDK preview builds, but those are not included by default as we want users to be very conscious of the choice they make when they acquire preview releases. We will also not be including every single Preview SDK in the installation experience, and instead encourage users to choose the SDK and Windows 10 flights that they prefer explicitly.

Thanks,
    Unni
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Team

16. Adding Xamarin Forms for Blackberry

Hi,

Add to Xamarin Forms resources to develop for BlackBerry

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. In Visual studio, please provide the facility to debug the _g.cs files generated after compiling XAML files. It will help a lot.

When we work on XAML related projects. We have to do lot of manual parsing of XAML in case there is a problem in binding for example a wrong spelling of property. If we can debug the _g.cs file generated after compiling xaml that will help a lot.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Stop building UWP

I suggest you STOP BUILDING UWP apps. They are completely useless!

e.g. Remote Desktop App in Windows 10. It doesn't allow copy/paste of files so it is completely USELESS!

Skype preview app, complete useless.

I hate how the UWP apps constantly jump around when the mouse moves, extremely ANNOYING.

They provide the WORST customer experience and for developers they are just garbage.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. how binding source form Multidimensional array source to silverlight xaml

the source like [,] or [,,]

ListBox? no ,something else

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. i agree i found a great easy to use xml based language for small simple apps caledzAPP its got a killer zapp pro ide addon similar to vs6 to

i agree i found a great easy to use xml based language for small simple apps caledzAPP its got a killer zapp pro ide addon similar to vs6 to refine tweak and build executeables calle zapp pro its an easy and affordable the executeables require no runtime and encrypted to protect the devolper link to the product site http://www.zuggsoft.com/
    zugg and his wife chiara provide killer personal 1 on 1 including phone support if needed ive been useing their mud zexplorer zmapper and cmud since 1996 the early days of mmorpgs and the height of muds

Xeveniah Darkwind

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base