Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Incorporate the ribbon and ditch the toolbars!

Is there any other app that has an incredible amount of commands that would benefit more from a results-driven UI? I think incorporating the ribbon is a no brainer!

240 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    42 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We appreciate the feedback about the complexities of the command systems in Visual Studio. We are currently evaluating improvements we can make in upcoming releases.

In the next few months, we are contacting users that are interested in this topic to get detailed feedback and evaluate possible solutions. If you are interested, please sign-up here (https://visualstudio.typeform.com/to/YNvqVk).

Ali Satter,
    Program Manager – Visual Studio IDE

2. Make Setting up Theme Colors Easier

I like to use a dark background when I program, but sometimes the foreground colors get difficult to read. So, I go into the Colors Settings but there are a million things in there and figuring out which one to tweak is a long process.

I'd love to be able to highlight the piece of text that is showing up brown and right-click on it and be able to go straight to the color setting that is making it that color. Or show the three settings that are affecting that text's color....

Right now, it is too hard and makes…

125 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this idea. Visual Studio is quite extensible and customizable. In fact, we have a community member that has written an extension that makes it easier to create and apply many different themes.

You can download the extension from the Visual Studio Gallery:
    https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/6f4b51b6-5c6b-4a81-9cb5-f2daa560430b

Thank you for using Visual Studio and providing feedback.

Ali Satter,

3. Visual Studio 2012 Theme is Terrible!

I realize that you're trying to make VS 2012 look flatter like Windows 8 (metro), but it's now so flat that you can barely tell where one tool pallet ends and the other begins. The light theme is too light, and the dark theme is too dark.

Maybe take a look at XCode for inspiration, it's a dream to use in comparison. (I use both daily)

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion. We are not making any changes to VS 2012 themes. Visual Studio 2013 & 2015 have different themes. In fact, we have a community member that has written an extension that makes it easier to create and apply many different themes.

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/6f4b51b6-5c6b-4a81-9cb5-f2daa560430b

Ali Satter,

4. Overhaul the look/feel of the UI, it is absolutely horrible

Put color and dimention back into the UI elements like VS2010 had, the current UI is too monocromatic and flat looking, something you would see in a product from 20 years ago. We have to use VS2012 but all of our developers hate the way it looks. I see the UI is the same as Office 2013 which is equally horrible. I don't understand how this UI could have gotten into a production tool.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion. We are not making any changes to VS 2012 themes; however, the recent versions of Visual Studio comes with three default themes and users can use community created themes.

Ali Satter,

5. Recover the VS2010 theme and icons when VS2013 is coming

The VS2010 theme and icons is so classics and charming, and the VS2012 theme is so hard to work with, also the new blue theme is only a relief for my eyes, it's still hard to work with. So, then the VS2013 is coming, please, please, Recover the VS2010 theme, at least please give an option for us to choose.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

6. Bring back classic Visual Studio

You have made Visual Studio 2012 more difficult to use by making it low-contrast and flat-gray. It really hurts my eyes. As a person who makes his living using this tool 8+ hours a day, you have made a complete mess of it. It’s not a bloody art project, it’s a tool we use to get a job done. And don’t pretend that the “Themes” make it better. If you keep alienating the developer community like this Google and Oracle are going to eat you alive. Metro my foot. Give me Windows 7 and VS 2010; all I want is…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this idea. Visual Studio is quite extensible and customizable. In fact, we have a community member that has written an extension that makes it easier to create and apply many different themes.

Ali Satter,

7. Improve contrast, colours and borders and readability to Visual Studio 2012

I know that the colour palette was improved in VS 2012 compared to VS11 - but still the number of colours and the design reminds me of a Windows 3.11 or a legacy NeXTstep application from the early 1990s.

Please introduce the following into Visual Studio 2012:

1. more contrast to controls - it's really hard to distinguish between elements and tabs with a glimpse

2. put the control borders back - icons, menus, tabs - every time I click a control I don't know if it is a part of another control or a separate one. I'm talking about…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

8. Colorize output in output window

I'm using the VSColorOutput extension for this at the moment (see https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f4d9c2b5-d6d7-4543-a7a5-2d7ebabc2496); unfortunately, it is somewhat buggy. In any case, I think this is such a basic functionality that it should be built in. Once you get used to colorized output, you can't live with the "white wall of text" anymore of vanilla VS.

Features:
    - Colorize build output, such that, for instance, errors are red and warnings are yellow.
    - Colorize application output based on configurable keywords; for instance, rules like "when the output starts with [Error], print it in red".

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Scrollbar tooltip should be resizable

Scrollbar map mode for the vertical scroll bar in vs2013 lets you have a "Show Preview Tooltip" .... yet provides zero way of letting your resize the tooltip to your own preferential size.

It should also let you set the fontsize for the preview tooltip, ie so i can make it smaller and fit more in.. sometimes just little extra stuff like that goes a long way.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

10. Enable Fonts and Color Settings Import / Export for Specific Chapters

The "Font and Colors" setting in the "Options" dialog of Visual Studio contain several - I'd like to call it - 'chapters' like "Text Editor", "All Text Tool Windows", and so forth.

Exporting / importing the fonts and colors settings, I am not able to select the 'chapter', means I have to take all or nothing from my understanding. Importing the dark theme fonts and colors affects not only the text editor settings (the window to edit the source code), but also the other windows like Output, Solution Explorer, ...

I would like to copy / export / import only…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

11. Soften Typography

I attached a file with a mockup of what I'm describing in this suggestion.

In the image I mocked up the Solution Explorer.

- Title: lowercase
    - Title: Segoe UI Light
    - Title: gray, lower contrast (means you don't have to focus on the fact that it's the Solution Explorer). Take it for granted at some point, and let it relax into the background.

- Window Background is the same dark gray as everywhere else. This lets the files in the solution pop a bit more, but in a nice minimalist way. This also creates a lot of breathable space…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

12. Enhance the open files dropdown list with button for remove

Hi,

I know this might be a small thing but it keeps coming to my head.
    I would like to suggest you to add a close button for the open files in the dropdownlist. Please see attached img.

Thanks,
    Corina

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

13. Bring Back color icons please

Bring back color icons from Visual studio 2010, it is very complicated to get used to the white black icons! Its super not intuitive! please bring it back! Class icons and so on folder icons in the solution explorer.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please give us a theme option to use VS2010's full-color icons to Visual Studio

You don't need to improve adding some colors to icons. You already have full-color icons from VS2010. Please give us a theme option to use VS2010's full-color icons. VS2013 is still hurts our eyes.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Change "High Contrast" VS 2011 Theme at least like "Purple" in VS2010

I Don't like 'black and white' in VS2011 IDE, it's make the 'eyeglass man' confused to read.
    1.The text is Black
    2.The background is silver/white
    Where's about yellow? where's about green?

I Think the VS2011 Developer Preview it's better than VS2011 BETA, at least the rollback into VS2010 IDE Theme, it's look better for IDE.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add a color bar to top of IDE

As a builder (SCM) type, I routinely have several instances of VS up at one time. And remembering which one I'm doing what is often a game of cycling through them

For my command/powershell windows I set different background colors. It's easy to select the "red" window where I'm doing a large file copy, switch to the green window where I'm syncing my source, then off to the blue window where I'm building my MSI.

If there was a means to set the top a different color based on instance, it would make using multiple instances of VS easier to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

17. Add colour to solution

As few projects are open with studio simultaneously sometimes I put code in wrong project.

Tiny project name in window title is not very noticeable when switching a lot between projects.

Would be a nice feature to have colour set in .sln file that applies to studio border and title. Imagine - you talk to another developer besides his PC and know that green means project X and blue means project Y. No confusion as colour is fastest recognizable object for our eyes.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Semi-Transparent Floating Windows

It would be nice to have an option to make the floating windows in visual studio semi-transport.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

— The Visual Studio Team

19. Provide a keyboard interface for Add Reference

I trust that the perf is as good as can be done given constraints.

But why doesnt F3 search?
    How am I supposed to move between types of reference? It used to be Ctrl-Tab. Now its 15 tabs and a down arrow. Not good enough. Either break it out as access keys in labels or do something.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

— The Visual Studio Team

20. keep the old comment out buttons

vs2012 comment or uncomment lines of code buttons have a different icon than before; it should be the same as its always been
    thanks

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base