Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. change the new 2012 bowtie icon back to the smooth style

The sharp-edged icon that came with the Visual Studio 2012 RC is hard to look at, and looks more like a bowtie than an infinity symbol. Please return it to its former glory before releasing RTM.

430 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    28 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow humans to differentiate between files and folders in VS2012

The icons in the Solution Explorer has a very important purpose and function. And I'm (along with half of the world, it seems) not very pleased to see that this UX functionality was abandoned during this recent redesign.

The ability to differentiate files from folders.

This is the most important information that those icons has to provide the user with. By far. And there are three facts that prevents the "Hey, I'm a folder"-information from getting to the user:
    1) The icon shape does not look like a classic folder (although an esoteric, modern one)
    2) The icon is black…

141 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. fire developers responsible for UI of VS2012

I was speechless when I saw first time VS2012. Ugly black and white interface. Small, boring, unfamiliar icons. Unfortunately I have to work with this version. So, every morning I have to suppress my negative feelings towards VS20012 and work, work, work.....

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bring back a 1980s theme to the IDE, similar to Turbo C with UPPERCASE menus and monocolour icons.

The theme in the IDE for VS2010 is so modern it looks terrible. What I really want is a theme similar to Borland Turbo C. ALL UPPERCASE MENUS, no depth to anything, and monocolour icons. I want to feel like I am back in the DOS console. Take me back Microsoft, your C++ conformance does so why not the IDE.

Regards,
    C++ develoepr

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion. We are not making any changes to VS 2010; however, recent versions of Visual Studio allows you the user to specify menu to all uppercase or regular case. You can change it in Tools > Options > Environment > General and check/uncheck “Apply title case styling to menu bar”.

Ali Satter,
    Program Manager – Visual Studio IDE

5. Visual Studio must use the Windows Theme for its main window

In Windows 7, Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization, you can set a Theme, including a colour for the active/foreground window (usually brighter and more colourful) whilst the other windows are usually a bit more dull/greyed.
    Why does Visual Studio ignore this?
    It's as if a Microsoft application built for Windows (Visual Studio) doesn't follow Windows guidelines for an integrated experience ?!

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion. Due to the complexity of the IDE and limitations provided by Windows theming capabilities, Visual Studio implements its own theming system (much like Office and other programs).  Visual Studio is quite extensible and customizable. In fact, we have a community member that has written an extension that makes it easier to create and apply many different themes.

You can download the extension from the Visual Studio Gallery:
    https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/6f4b51b6-5c6b-4a81-9cb5-f2daa560430b

Thank you for using Visual Studio and providing feedback.

Ali Satter,
    Program Manager – Visual Studio IDE

6. Fire the designers and those that handle the user experience

With the new UI, Visual Studio is now the FORMER best IDE in the world.

Developers are power users, we need practicality, not aesthetics. And what you people call "aesthetics" is simply horrible.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The icons in the previous version were ok. Do not replace them.

Everything is fine but the icons are a bit too much.

Though from an aesthetic point of view I like the new icons and I like the new look the problem is that at least the icons (the new ones) are not practical. First, their design is radically different and secondly they lack color which is a very good differentiator and helps distinguishing one type of element from another.

Not to mention that in the Layout toolbar the “Align Middles” and “Align Centers” have been assigned the same icons as the “Make Horizontal Spacing Equal” and “Make Vertical Spacing Equal”. …

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Proposition to change the logo

The current logo is not very nice. I understand the metro style switch but the 2003 style could have been revamped to fit the metro style, like the one I made (See attached).

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make VS2012 IDE configurable via CSS

VS2012: should support css overlays like xul apps do for the last 2 years. In Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey I can simply edit userChrome.css and override any mono-colored uglyness, so I am not bound to the changing whims of different generations of UI designers. VS2010 was the best looking.

At least I would like support for
    gradients, (background-image)
    round borders (border-radius)
    skinable icons (list-style-image)

The metro interface of VS2012 looks really out of place in my environment, I would like a more cohesive interface experience without having to upgrade to windows 8 and be forced to using Metro.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. About the style of VS2010

Well……I installed VS2011 and have a try of that……I know that Microsoft wants to uniform the VS into the style of Metro!Of course!I agree with that but I don't it a better way to change the VS2011's style totally into the form of Metro——because VS cannot only be used on Metro,and using metro style to programming with some single colors makes me very unconformatble……

My suggestion is:Your VS product can change style dymacially when chossing to create different kinds of products when programming——e.g:when creating a proj for Win8,this will change your VS to that of Metro;otherwises change to that of…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)