Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. allow to copy entire folder to output directory

Allow Visual studio to copy an entire folder to output directory not only the files.

This will be much faster when working with directories with some levels of hierarchy

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • TFS capacity planning should support half day off

During the Scrum planning days, it is frequent that team members take half day off. Microsoft TFS should support it.

31 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Allow moving toolbars into titlebar

I'm kind of a space optimization maniac, and I've always been annoyed by not being able to place toolbar items into visual studio's title bar.

I mean there's a search bar and a few other buttons in there already, but, I'd rather put there some common toolbar items there to save some vertical space.

I gotta admit that I got really inspired by the old firefox 24/ or the palemoon browser's UI for this. As you can make an extremely compact toolbar.

30 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add drag and drop loading for property sheets

It would be great if property sheets could be added to a configuration by drag & dropping them from explorer directly into the Property Manager.

30 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add a setting to block branch deletion

We have master and develop branches in git. We can prevent deletion of one of them by setting it as the default branch, but we cannot prevent the deletion of the other by any setting I can find.

29 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Re-add the "Open Containing Folder" to the Start Page when right-clicking on Recent projects.

Visual Studio 2015 allowed me to right-click on a recent project and select "Open Containing Folder". This appears to have been removed from VS2017. Please bring it back! Thanks.

28 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Change the Browser Link icon

The [enable|disable] Browser Link icon is represented by a clockwise arrow and I often get this confused with the Restart icon which is represented by a counterclockwise arrow. It would be great to change this to something else, such as a bidirectional horizontal arrow.

27 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • VSTS Web View: add "Move to Iteration" menu to the right click menu in queries

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
                  https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351733/vsts-web-view-add-move-to-iteration-menu-to-the-ri.html
                  In the VSTS web view, add the "Move to iteration" menu to the right click menu when viewing items in a query. This allows users to quickly move items to the backlog or current sprint. This behavior currently only works when viewing items in the Backlog. This feature used to exist, but was removed: see the following bug: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/309052/move-to-iteration-option-is-not-visible.html

27 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Ability to Enable CodeLens but Disable Show References

CodeLens can be a useful tool except the forcing of the reference count makes most developers disable the entire thing. This can be noted by several posts on multiple sites, one of which Microsoft owns. There is a grayed out option to Show References. If this checkbox could be enabled to give the user free will to customize CodeLens as they see fit, not at Microsoft sees fit then that would be great.

So whether this suggestion gets a lot of votes or not, the demand is there. You have already declined this once. Please don't do it again.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20457796/how-to-turn-off-codelens-references/20890131

27 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add emoji support to commits in VSO

Today in GitHub and Bitbucket I can add emojis in commit messages.
                      Wouldn't that be nice to have this functionality in Vso too?

27 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • 27 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Save Solution Explorers and Rename Tabs

Currently not able to save layout with multiple Solution Explorers. For larger MVC projects, typically create separate Solution Explorers for Models, Views, Controllers, Scripts and CSS. When restarting VS, have to recreate, re-dock and resize each. Also, ability to rename "tabs" of Solution Explorers.

27 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • User experience within the new MSDN Subscriber downloads portal (my.visualstudio.com/downloads) is horrible, please fix

User experience is in urgent need of improvement.
                            You have lost recently uploaded products

Searched and list results could do with thumbnail of product and it would be really helpful for each product would have a small description and links back to more product information

26 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • add the ability to "close all tabs to the right"

I'd love the option, in visual studio, to "Close all to the right of this tab" option, and maybe even a "Close all to the left of this tab"

26 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • "Drag and drop" to reorder projects in a solution

Instead of always order projects in alphabetical order, make it possible to reorder projects with "drag and drop".

25 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • add an option to display the path of the current solution in the title bar

I have several versions of projects. When I load one in Visual Studio it is not obvious which one I have loaded. I have to check the recent projects list to be sure which I have. In the meantime the entire length of the Visual Studio Title Bar is pretty much empty. How about adding an option to put the path of the current solution in the title bar?

25 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • New 3D IDE, icons, visuals, etc. like Visual Studio 2010 and Windows 7.

Visual Studio 2015 not adapt to the OS Theme, in my case Aero in Windows 7. Only Visual Studio 2012, 2015 and Microsoft Office 2012, 2015 not adapt to the OS Theme, while all other applications adapt it consistently.

The new IDE is really ugly. Has the Metro/Retro UI without effects, gradients, shadows, plain and ugly colors and icons; flat, ugly and boring UI design. Also the UI experience is a nightmare like in Windows 8.x and 10.

Microsoft not learn about the critics in Visual Studio 2012 that are UGLY.

Microsoft not learn the failure and the disaster of…

24 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Scroll tabs in the tab panel left-right with mouse wheel

Please, add a possibility to scroll tabs left-right with the mouse wheel when cursor is over the tab panel (it is implemented, for example, in Komodo Edit).

When you open many tabs, and the one you need is not visible anymore, it is not always convenient to click on the small arrow button to search the tab in the list. And with described functionality you may just scroll your tabs to the left-right and quickly select the necessary one.

23 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • git update-index --assume-unchanged <file>

Add git update-index --assume-unchanged <file> option at right click.
                                        Indeed, it often happen that we have a "database.config" file and this option to ignore a file in git even if it is commited & pushed is a very nice feature. I often use it in my team and I would like to have this option in VS2015.

23 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow StakeHolders to create PBIs under a feature

Currently when a StakeHolder is adding a new PBI in the backlog, it is not associated with any feature regardless of the selected feature un the tree. Also, since StakeHolders cannot move PBIs under a feature by drag/droping them, it becomes very tedious for them to associate PBIs to a feature (they have to eidt links manually). This is generating a lot of friction in the adoption of TFS tools. It would be nice if they could make the association easily.

23 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base