Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Saving Capacity of Only Changed Entries

It seems that when saving capacity, the last write wins on that page. This creates a problem for my team because we tend to all update our capacities for the next sprint on the same day. To reproduce the issue:

Reproduction Steps:

1. Have at least two people in the capacity sprint you're changing.

2. Load the capacity view on two different browsers (using one or more accounts)

3. Have user A update team member 1's capacity (hours available, days off, doesn't matter)

4. Have user A click save.

5. Without having User B refresh, have User B update team…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. TouchScreen Controls

i have a windows 10 talet and im coding on it but there are some problems , first one is touch screen controls and second one is cpu usages and not responding please optimize visual studio about that problems Microsoft...

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a search box in the "Add command" window when customizing menus

The IDE offers to customize toolbars and menu, which is greet.

However, as there is hundreds of commands, it's sometime difficult to find a specific command (for example, where is the "Source control explorer" command?). You can see the window in the attached file.

I'd suggest to add a small search box to quickly find command, either by ID or by label.

This may be similar to the settings windows.

Thanks

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please add dark theme.

Dark Theme please. ☻

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a pause download button

Add a pause download button while installing VS

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Enhance visual studio navigation bar for productivity using keyboard shortcuts

Inside VS, the default navigation bar with 3 separate dropdown list is really painful. Deal with 3 separate dropdown means 3 times more work especially when we can't search for a name with keyboard.
    If you look at what Visual Assist propose, it's a lot mot intuitive, productive and keyboard friendly:
    - one single dropdown listing namespace, classes and method all together
    - a single shortcut to open the dropdown
    - a search field to search for symbols within the current file

Let's put it into a user story: as developper, I'd like to navigate through symbols inside the current…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. for vs 2017 on the source control explorer get latest version should be the first selection instead of Open in File Explorer

for vs 2017 on the source control explorer Get Latest Version should be the first selection instead of Open in File Explorer. In previous versions it was the the first in the drop down now its second.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow Folders for Managing list of Release Definitions

My list of Release Definitions is getting long - I have many apps and many environments. Can I please get a way to create a folder/hierarchy structure so these Release Definitions can be put into a manageable format? See attached

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make <Arrow Up> key to bring back the last command in c# interactive

In the C# Interactive window when I press the <Arrow Up> key I expect to bring back the last typed in command instead of moving the caret up one line.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Highlight keywords in tooltip and use different markup

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351739/highlight-keywords-in-tooltip-and-use-different-ma.html
    It would be great if tooltips have the same highlighting as the code itself so it's way more readable (especially if you have a lot of generics).

Besides this, it would also be great if markup could be different (think about spacing and new lines). For example:

Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Linq.IGrouping<ulong, Invoice>>' to 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Linq.IGrouping<Invoice, Invoice>>'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)

Could be:
    Cannot implicitly convert type
    'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Linq.IGrouping<ulong, Invoice>>' to
    'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Linq.IGrouping<Invoice, Invoice>>'.

An explicit conversion exists (are you missing…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please allow us to expose 'Parent ID' as a column, and build quieries around it, so we can make flat-list queries based on parent/child

Because so much critical information about relationships between work in VSTS is tracked via Links, I am finding it difficult to create effective dashboards/charts that report on this information, because you cannot create a chart from a hierarchy query. There is one simple work around that would solve this:

Enable "Parent ID" as both a Column option in queries, as well as in the Query builder dropdown.

Use case:

I have 6 User Stories, each a 'bucket' of a type of work. Each user story is the parent of dozens of Tasks, representing the work itself.

I want to build…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Show/reveal file in Solution Explorer

Add an option to reveal/show the current file in the Solution Explorer in the document tab context menu. Many times I am looking for a file/class which is defined in the same area as a file I already have open, but am unable to locate it in the Solution Explorer in very large solutions with a deep hierarchy.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Use a title bar style that is consistent with the OS

Use a title bar style that is consistent with the OS.

I'm usally using Windows 10 myself, and I love the consistenty that all(most of) the applications use the same kind of title bar. The fact that the active window has a different color that a passive one, helps me navigating and switch fast between windows.

I am not sure if there is a way already. But I would love it if Visual Studio uses the same principles in their UI.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make "Windows Forms" an Optional Choice for Installation

What?
    Installing Visual Studio takes too long

Why?
    There's a lot of stuff that the VS installer puts onto my workstation that I'll probably never use. I don't need a ton of space consumed by components or technologies that I don't use. This is especially true of any technologies that have reached the end of their lifecycles, eg. Classic ASP, Foxpro, VB6, J# and so on.

Proposal:
    Make Window Forms an optional installation component. Any significant component of Visual Studio which is used by a limited fraction (eg two thirds) of its users should be made optional. Going forward, Microsoft…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Show last successful build status permanently in lower status bar

Show last successful build status permanently in lower status bar - sometimes i build and go away from my machine - then it just says Ready in the bottom status bar. Have a permanent area where it shows last build status & time.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Synchronize menu/toolbar settings

I sometimes customize or adjust my menus and toolbars. I'd love it if you could add these customizations to my VS profile, along with the other settings and the recently added extensions, so that when I opened up a new VS and signed in I was basically automatically set up with my normal working environment.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Should we restyle the crash chat to make it look more like the roulette/tradeup chat?

We were thinking about making the chat uniform among all game modes.

What is your take on that?

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    56 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow creation of file groups within a solution

Within an MVC project there are files throughout the solution that need to be opened (js, controller, view) when working on a specific section of code. Creating a "File Group" would allow you to open all files grouped in this section in one click.

Would be extremely helpful for someone who's constantly working on bugs/stories all over the solution and likes to keep things clean and organized :)

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Don't show screwdriver icon at all. If a user wants to Ctl+. then show those "can but shouldn't do" options.

Don't show screwdriver icon at all. If a user wants to Ctl+. then show those "can but shouldn't do" options.

This icon appears on nearly every single line of code and continually forces context switching to determine if this thing is meaningful (and it never is).

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base