Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rename should also rename referenced properties in DebuggerDisplayAttribute

As the screenshot shows, using "Rename" on a property does not affect that referenced property in the respective DebuggerDisplayAttribute.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. @CurrentIteration does not work outside of TFS

Basic problem is any query you attempt to run in excel or Task Card Creator (for example), causes an error message to appear.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Reset "Team Explorer" to home when flipping from another tab

When flipping to "Team Explorer" tab (from another tab), it should reset like clicking Home.
    if you've been away on solution explorer, etc - you probably don't want whatever random team explorer page you were on last time.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dark Theme for Xamarin Layout Designer

I love Visual Studio's dark theme, as it addresses an accessibility issue for me (migraines triggered by light). However, the Xamarin layout designer doesn't currently take the dark theme into account, resulting in a rather large portion of the interface being quite bright. At the least, a dark background for this when a dark theme is selected would be appreciated.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Focus on actions

Create a new breakpoint. Right click, select Actions. But the "Log a message to the Output Window" textbox isn't focused, so you have to click into it in order to configure the action.

Please focus the textbox on open. Please. Stop torturing me with extra mouse clicks. My finger can't take it anymore.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make it possible to quickly obtain URL to VSTS work item.

Add to work item context menu a "copy work item URL to clipboard" option so I can quickly share it. See the attached copy_url_public.jpg: That option should go to that context menu and end up giving me this url in clipboard:

https://msasg.visualstudio.com/Engineering%20Fundamentals/_workitems?id=783520

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add search to Import and Export Wizard

A rudimentary count of nodes in a vssettings file with all settings exported shows about 4600 nodes. Visual Studio settings are very complex. It would be useful to have a search ability in the import/export wizard to be able to quickly find settings you may want to export independently.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Do not open xaml files with 5% zoom by default

All XAML files open by default at 5% zoom taking a little part of the designer space. The designer is slow and not very stable, therefore changing the zoom again takes some time.
    A minimum of 25% at first opening should be the rule...

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Compare File to a Published File

Be able to compare a file, whether in source control or not, to a specific publish profile published location with the currently worked on file. Even files in bin directory like ~.config files or even dll's example of a message would be: {"Same dll", "Not the same dll", ...}

This could work in both file, ftp, and webdeploy types of project where you quickly want to see if there were changes that you wish to publish. If there were no changes to a specific file you can selectively know which files to publish and which files would have little or…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Get rid of the stupid dropdowns at the top of a document

I never use it, it's a waste of space.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Let a visual studio customer know how long it will take to upgrade

Depending on speed of hard drive, memory, processor give user an estimate of minimum downtime during install. Couldn't use my computer for about 3 hours + while it installed. I was thinking like 20 minutes.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When using linq.select to slighly modify an existing model

Instead of adding every single field... only add the modified field that needs to be modified. use elipses before and after the modified part which signifies that nothing else need change. Sort of like an auto auto mapping function for simple mods except the parts that change.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Automate the running and emailing of customer queries to specified email address(es).

I have a few queries which are run every 7 days to report team output. Being able to have these queries sent to my (and my manager's) inbox every week would be a great time save, and would open up possibilities for keeping other stakeholders updated on project progression, etc.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 34 35 36 38 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base