Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. change vsvars32.bat to support ampersands in environment variables

I recently had to change vsvars32.bat manually because after installing MySQL a new directory was added to the PATH containing ampersands. That of course is not a good practice, but I solved it using the attached file, which has an easy fix. It uses quotes for all SET commands.
    Hopefully this is a quick fix that could be included easily and benefit all the community with that.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow project reordering in solution explorer

This would allow users to sort projects based on importance rather than be forced to use an alphabetical ordering.

Eg. I personally prefer the unit tests project to be at the bottom, but this doesn't happen when the main project's name begins with a letter >T.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Extensions and Updates usability: Shift focus on key press for installed extensions

When I open the "Extensions and Updates" window and view installed extensions in Visual Studio 2017 RC, I would expect the focus to jump to the appropriate position in the list when I type a letter key. For example, in the attached screenshot, the first extension in my list has focus. When I type the “N” key, I would expect the focus to move to the first installed extension starting with an “N”. Currently, typing a letter does nothing. Though minor, this feature is particularly useful as the installed extensions list grows.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Exclude NuGet content files in "Find in Files"

Add an option to exclude NuGet content files (like .js/.css assets or .cs files in "source packages") from "Find In Files".

Maybe as default, and include them in the "(Including External Items)" selections.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. More convenient navigation using CodeMap

I try CodeMap a few times and I find it really useful. However, the interaction is mouse-intensive and I have to switch between mouse and keyboard frequently when using it to navigate code.

I hope I can use keyboard to complete important interactions in CodeMap. Here are some ideas:
    (1) Users can jump to another function only by pressing Ctrl+Up/Down/Left/Right key without any mouse interaction, when writinig code in the editor window.
    (2) Using key shour-cut to find current function's callers/callees.
    (3) Save parts of a map and load them into viewport when required

Actually, I implement my ideas into…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make the title bar and ribbon in the same style as Office 2016

This will make the upper part of the UI much visible and give more consistency within Microsoft products

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. VS17 Icon

The icon for VS2017 is not that great & I prefer the cleaner & transparent icon found in the installer.

So for now I have set the shortcut icon in my taskbar to use the icon from the installer path found at

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vs_installer.exe

Consider shipping with more icons in the devenv.exe to include this so I know for certain that the installer wont get moved or removed in a future update and I go back to the less desirable icon

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please bring back the VS 2010 Theme, Colors & Icons!

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351376/please-bring-back-the-vs-2010-theme-colors-icons.html
    Why did you change all toolbox icons to black and white?
    Just to make it harder to select the correct one?
    Color is important to recognize an icon!!!

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Show me the names of my saved layouts in the Save Window Layout dialog

The Save Window Layout dialog should have a combo box populated with the names of the layouts I've already saved. The name should default to the current layout (unless the current layout is the VS default), and the combo-box should match names as I type. This will minimize the chances of my typing an existing name in wrong and saving a new layout when I mean to update an existing one.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Update Start Page Template

The Start Page Template has not been updated since VS2010. Please update it.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Implement hot-swap of code changes in debug mode...the way it´s meant to be.

The actual way of changing code while in debug mode is a pain **********.
    It should work like this:

- make changes.
    - save.

and NOT:

-click "break all" button.
    -close following & annoyning "code not running" window.
    -change code
    -save
    -click "continue"
    -pray

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Provide an option to unload all projects in the solution

Working with large solutions in Visual Studio is a pain. For instance, Chromium has a few thousands of projects, all that huge tree of projects consumes lots of memory, and the IDE is constantly indexing/scanning/updating IntelliSense.

Unloading all these projects makes things much better.

There is a context menu item that unloads all projects within a solution folder. That is fine, but the aforementioned Chromium has dozens of folders.

It would be great to have an "Unload all projects" option in the context menu for the solution node.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Pull request comments should send notifications when added (to Slack WebHooks or through email or...)

We get nearly everything sent to our Slack channels. We have one specifically for Pull Requests and their status changes, but there's no way to get new comments that have been posted to those Pull Requests.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add user filter to merge dialog

The merge dialog can take a long time (several minutes sometimes in my experience) to populate a list of changesets that can be merged between the selected branches when you have a large number of files and changesets.

It would be nice if I could specify that I only want to see changesets that were committed by a specific user (ME [or blank] by default). Hopefully this would improve performance of this dialog.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. color settings search

Make "Fonts and Colors" searchable just as "Keyboard" are under "Options => Environment". Ofc further work here is required in making the naming of the colors refer to the actual property they change in the IDE.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. VSTS build policy - allow naming of builds

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351735/vsts-build-policy-allow-naming-of-builds.html
    In VSTS, allow customizing (icon, name) of listing items.

specific use case - we have 3 build agents that separate the workload however all 3 running statuses will say "Build Failed".

It would be nice to have a either a different Icon or custom name {var} "Build Failed" or both <icon> {var} "Build Failed"

So that we can have something along the lines of "E2E Build Failed" || "Server Build Fail" || "Front End Build Fail".

For example, our E2E uses Nightwatch.js, perhaps…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Do not show or navigate to generated .g.cs files (e.g. for XAML UserControls) when using the Go To (ctrl+comma) feature

As it stands right now, there is no visual distinction between between .cs and .g.cs files in the search results of the "go to all" or "go to type" feature.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to tag TFS Users in work item

Allowing tagging of other TFS users/developers which is super helpful. For example: Typing @JohnDoe would tag John Doe and therefore John would get an email with the details of the work item description or comments he was tagged in. This allows for a much more fluid development process. As a developer, I can tag product owners with questions.... as a QA person, I can tag developers with questions/observations, and it's all there in the work item history. JIRA has it already and it's integrated with Active Directory users, why does TFS not have this?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Expose filtering algorithm for the Image control in UWP Xaml

The Image control hides the filtering algorithm from the developer, which needs to be configurable when the image is enlarged. It looks like it uses linear filtering by default, but I don't see any way in UWP to set it to point filtering (nearest neighbor) or anisotropic.

Point filtering is particularly necessary for a few significant scenarios such as gaming and image editing.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)