Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow users to print a Tabular Model when it is displayed in Diagram View

Allow users to print the Tabular Model when it is displayed in the "Diagram View". Seem very strange you cannot print this view

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

2. Add Sqlite Connetor for .Net Framework 4.5,..

Add Sqlite Connetor for .Net Framework 4.5,..

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

3. Add create CRUD functions to right-click on table in a database project

When I right click on a table in a database give me the option to create CRUD statements from a template. I am almost always starting from some for of a select statement and getting the basic select statement going from a template would be a huge time saver.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4. Add an option to Automatically Update Stored Procedure Complex Types on Update Model from Database

In Visual Studio 2012 the Function Import/Complex Type of a Stored Procedure get created automatically when adding it to an Entity Model. This is a great feature over VS2010 where you had to after adding it to the Entity Model, go in and add the Function Import and create the complex type manually.

The request is that when updating the model, could the function imports/complex types be updated as well? In this cases this might not be desired so why not add a checkbox to the "Update Model from Database" form so either scenario could be addressed?

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

5. Save more previously-used connections in the Schema Compare tool

When comparing databases, the "Select Source Schema"/"Select Target Schema" dialog has a drop-down of the most recently-used connections, but the dialog seems to have a hardcoded limit of 5 connections. I work with more than 5 databases, when the different projects I work on are multiplied by the different environments across which I am comparing, and I find I am constantly re-entering connection details to databases.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

6. SSDT: Add Enterprise Edition Features to localdb

Add Enterprise Edition features to the (localdb)\Projects instance. My company leverages many of the Enterprise level features of SQL Server (Data Compression, Partitioning). We would like to migrate all Database source control to VS 2012 SSDT Database projects but are finding objects with Enterprise only features won't build in (localdb). This is causing confusion and presenting a major roadblock in adoption.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Sort included files in .sqlproj files to simplfy branch merges

New files are icluded in database projects on each TFS branches. Later, all merges are very difficult and we have each time visible errors to fix (with each time a big time loss) and other invisible errors that we don't see until problems occurs in Production ! (for example, objects not included in build or scripts not included in a post-deployment).

A simple way to resolve all theses problems would be to sort alphabetically included files to get the same changes on each branches.

Thanks.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

8. VS 11 - SQL Server node in Server Explorer - Missing Diagrams

Missing diagrams in SQL Server node. please add it

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. VDTSDB - User Accounts Deployment

I have a different user accounts for different environments
    Also have different databases country wise with same schema structure
    When i am deploying i wants to ignore the user accounts addition/deletion
    As per the current VSTSDB deployment utility, i am not able to do this
    It would be great, If i get an option to "ignore users" during deployment/deployment script generation through VSTSDB

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Deploy SSIS Packages developed using SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2012 to either SQL2008R2 or SQL 2012

Ability to choose the deployment target environment for SSIS Packages either SQL 2008 R2 or SQL 2012 similar to the functionality that SSRS has. This necessary to help larger shops transition from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2012 without having to upgrade all production systems at once.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow export to xlsx format in reportviewer

When exporting to excel format using local processing in reportviewer 2008 there is a limit of 256 columns and 65,536 rows. It be useful to have this limit increased to excel 2007 format specifications.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

12. ODATA: Add Composite Key Natively to ASP.NET WebAPI

Natively support Composites in the ODATA v4 framework.
    Enabling getting single entities who are multi-keyed:

<host>/Players(Id=1,Name='Team 1 Player 1')

So that creating our own CompositeKeyRoutingConvention class isn't required.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I need a beautifier for T-SQL code. There is a feature in SSMS but it makes T-SQL code look worse.

I need a beautifier for T-SQL code.
    There is a feature in SSMS called Design Query in Editor,
    but it makes T-SQL code look worse.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ignore certain tags like <# and #> in Visual Studio XML editor

I would like to have an option to ignore certain tags like <# and #> in Visual Studio XML editor. There are some languages like BIML Script that mixes XML and C#.

">

But then the XML obviously gets corrupt, because the brackets are not opening and closing one after the other. This will lead in losing formatting and even worse losing intellisense.

It looks a bit like the good old ASP 3.0 where html tags where mixed with asp <% %> tags.

There are online BIML editors that have no problems:
    http://bimlscript.com/Develop

Also see MSDN Forum thread:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/8522fb00-f85c-4d0f-9e5e-763df4c27cd1/ignore-and-tags-in-visual-studio-xml-editor

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

15. Rdlc Report Designer

The report designer in visual studio does not have zoom option, grid or some kind of ruler to better positionong of elements

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

16. remove modal dialogs

Remove modal dialogs
    Trying to develop reports using the report designer is bad enough due to the often poor rendering without the pain of having to drill up and down through dialogs each and every time you want to preview it

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

17. TFS Preview : Sprint end date should be aligned automatically

I was going through the TFS Preview & found sprint dates are not aligned as per the effort & priority of sprint item given.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. A DataSet vizard for SQL Server Compact 4

A DataSet vizard for SQL Server Compact 4

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

19. Add a data sample size as an optional setting in Configuration Manager for SSAS Tabular

When working with large tables in SSAS Tabular (as it is not always possible to develop on a sample of prod data), I am forced to use a hard coded filter (eg TOP n) in my source query to avoid sucking all data into my model at design time I then have to modify the partition query(s) post deployment meaning whats in my solution doesnt match the code on the server. To alleviate this work around, if an optional sample size setting were able to be configured in the Configuration Manager it could be set to filter a top "n"…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Include export to CSV from reportviewer whne designing using RDLC

Include export to CSV from reportviewer whne designing using RDLC

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

Feedback and Knowledge Base