Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Convert Dataset to Json by using directly like--> Dataset.Json

Hi Visual Studio Team,

This is Aravind G from Bangalore. I am using Visual Studio tools from last 4 years onwards.Thanks for providing Best tools for developing Web/Windows/Web sites and etc...

I have used Visual Studio 2008/2010/2012/2013 ultimate tools.In this I have one suggestion.

After getting Data from database using ADO.NET into dataset. From this we can convert Dataset to XML by using dataset.WriteXML. But is any way to convert directly From dataset to JSON like dataset.WriteJSON format.

If this feature is available please share the link where we can study and implement this.

If this feature is Not available…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

2. Give us a better debugger for LINQ....

right now, we need to turn linQ back to for loop to troubleshoot what is wrong with it.... it will be great if there will be some tools to work such a way

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

3. Native barcode report item/support for SSRS RDLC/RDL Designer

Almost everyone reporting tools have barcode support itselft. Why SSRS use thrid party ones. We don't want to switch to other reporting tools because labsent of this. We also don't want to buy any third party barcode tools. We have payed so high price for visual studio. Why cannot get barcode support.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for Deployment Code Snippets for SQL Server Data Tools via Visual Studio Content Installer

We would like to be able to distribute Code Snippets for SSDT through the Visual Studio Content Installer. At this moment it is possible to create code snippets for SSDT, but it is not possible to distribute them using the VS content installer.

See this msdn forum post:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1c3e0729-3321-4416-820b-478f71b38257/deployment-of-sql-server-data-tools-code-snippets-not-possible-via-visual-studio-content-installer

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

5. SSDT Tabular model edits should only update on change

In the tabular model editor, there's an annoying lag whenever you do the following actions in the grid view:
    1. Right click, insert a new column - doing this should immediately allow you to edit the name or formula for the column (or both)
    2. Renaming a column that has no formula associated with it
    3. Clicking on an existing column to copy a formula, and then selecting a different column without making changes.

These minor (paper cut) annoyances make the model editor slow to work with.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Color SQL Strings in C# and VB code with rules to make them easier to understand. Maybe have a shaded color to differentiate them.

I know it's better not to have SQL statements embedded in code, but there are times when it does need to be there. It would be great if the strings had some additional heuristics and intelligence to further colorize the different portions of the SQL statement similar to the way SSMS colors SQL queries.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Enhance SQL Code Analysis to allow suppression of warnings by line, not just by file

In a database project, a user can suppress a code analysis warning by right-clicking on it in the Error List, however, this results in the warning being suppressed for the entire file, not just the one line. I would like this to function more like with non-database projects, where there is the option to annotate the code to suppress the warning in the specific line of code within the .sql file itself or add both the file name and line number to the StaticCodeAnalysis.SuppressMessages.xml file. Currently, it only adds the file name to the xml file.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

8. Add SSRS SSIS Backward Compatiblity

I still have SSRS on SQL 2005 I can open these projects in VS2008, I dont want to find that if I open a project with such a dependancy it converts the project so it cannot be opened again in VS2008. This was fixed with C# projects why not BI projects. Just becase we upgrade to VS2012 it sould not mean we have to upgrade the rest of of our data centre.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Rename Column in SSDT Tabular model editor should update references in other formulas

When I rename a column in the SSDT Tabular model editor, and that column is referenced in formulas in other columns, it would be nice if the designer offered to update those formulas (perhaps by showing a dialog with the changes). This would make model editing easier.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. In the options for SCMP files (schema compare), group them by category

All of the schema options are all grouped together in the options/object types/Application-Scoped tab. I am always going in and unchecking keys, broker stuff, users/roles, etc. if these were in logical groups it would be easier. Mostly I want to compare table, view, function, stored proc. etc. schemas, and ignore the other stuff. Especially anything security related, which is typically set by environment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. In database projects, default constraints and prmary keys should be named

When you create a primary key or a default constraint in a database project it's unnamed by default. You can not even name it in the editor. You have to manually add CONSTRAINT [DF_blabla] to the line in the text editor.

It should name the these constraints by default.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Limit the row count or allow selection of tables BEFORE data compare

Some of our tables in our main database have millions upon millions of rows fo data. And between Dev and production they will ALL be different.

It would be nice to do a datacomaprison on specific tables instead of the entire database so that we can compare only the "configuration" tables. Either limit comparisons based on the number of rows in the table (user-configurable), or allow the user to select the tabes within the specified database(s) that need to be compared.

Without a feature like this, the data comparison tool is nearly useless to us because of millions-upon-millions of false…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. create a flag for 'continue on error'

When this flag is true, DB project would run all scripts and, after that, summarize with something like this:
    10 scripts: success
    2 scripts: error

If errors were found, a new script with the scripts with error would be created for correction

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. SQL80001 and SQL46010

Copy and paste this into VS 2015 RC. I keep getting an error that is quite annoy and is a problem at "From" for some old reason. You might want to fix it since this is an error going on since VS 2010 from what I have read. I am trying to create it on 2014 SQL Server from VS

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[ContactBulkUpdate]
    @XMLData xml

AS
    Create table #tempContact(
    ID int not null,
    FirstName varchar(50) not null,
    LastName varchar(50) not null,
    ContactNo varchar(50) not null
    )

Insert into #tempContact (ID, FirstName, LastName, ContactNo)

Select
    contact.query('ID').value('.','int') as ID,
    contact.query('FirstName').value('.','varchar(50)') as FirstName, …

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. If you have specific bugs you would like to report, we encourage you to use the “Report a Problem” feature under the Help | Send Feedback menu in Visual Studio. This provides us with necessary context so that we can most efficiently address the issue.

Paul Chapman
    Visual Studio Program Manager

15. Visual Studio SQL Database project : add Format document/selection for .sql file

When you work on Sql database project, the Edit menu hasn't advance edition tool as Format -> document or Format -> Selection or Trim trailing space.... it's should be interesting to have the same features than other VS projects

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Object Explorer Details - View/Edit SQL Source

In Object Explorer Details, it would be nice to be able to quickly see the source (sp_helptext). It would also be nice to be able search in Object Explorer Details, instead of just browsing a folder. And if you really get crazy, it would be nice if you could edit the source just like VS2012's editor with intellisense.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Data Compare Tables within the same database.

Please make the Data Comparison UI more flexible. I'd like to compare 2 tables, in the same database, but with different names. eg: dbo.MyTablePreTest vs dbo.MyTablePostTest

Also to compare 2 tables in different databases, with different names .

Use Case 1. Testing.
    When tests only impact small tables in a big database. It is more efficient to copy the entire table prior to a test. Call it Table.Original.
    Then run the test, Do the data comparison.
    Then reset the test with a SQL Merge or Truncate/Insert.

This is especially valuable for SQL Azure as it doesn't support Cross Database joins.…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SSRS Add radius corners to text boxes

This is a basic thing.. A report (a set of five actually) that re-produced an existing form took at least 4x time to do because all the boxes had to be drawn in a graphics program then imported into rectangles. Rectangles because i needed to put textbox's overlaying the graphics. What a pain!!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow to Create Folders into the SQL Managament Studio Project to organize the files, not only "Connection"/"Query"/"Miscellaneous"

At the moment, when we create a SQL Project using the SQL Server Management Studio, the project comes along with the standards virtual folders Connection, Queries, Miscellaneous and it doesn't allow us to create any other folder or subfolder.

I did a research on the internet to try to find a solution and I could find lots of people having the same issue, as everyone organize it in different ways, in my situation I organize as Table, Procedures, Functions, Triggers, Scripts, ....

As a work around I created one project for each folder, however it is not the appropriate.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. I would like that changed values of attributes (so that they are not default anymore) get a different background color (light blue or so).

Since there are so many attributes and values in SQL Server (Management Studio Table options), SSRS, SSAS, SSIS, Visual Studio it would be convenient to see when they have been changed. So when the value is not a default value anymore pleas change to background color of that value.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base