Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. rdlc(local report) can export to CSV

rdlc(local report) can export to CSV

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. DB Deployment Security

As per SSDT 11.1.40403.0, when we are passing the below parameters to sqlpackage.exe
    /p:IgnorePermissions=true
    /p:DropPermissionsNotInSource=false
    /p:DropObjectsNotInSource=true

its dropping logins also. We have around 5 various environments, security will differ environment to environment.
    Security will be maintained by DBA.
    Schema will be maintained by Developers.
    Need to enhance functionality. when we pass /p:DropPermissionsNotInSource=false it should not drop any logins if its not available in source.
    dropping and recreating the login will affect applications availability.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ruler in BIDS / SSDT

All the Ruler to be enabled by default!!!

In every version of BIDS/SSDT since SQL 2008, the ruler has to be turned EACH and EVERY time you access the report!

Seriously, why do you need to each time you access a report need to , Click Report | View | Ruler, just to see the there should be an open to enable it by default every time BIDS/SSDT is launched!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. return the execution color of SSIS tasks to the full red-yellow-green as in 2008

Return the execution color of SSIS task-boxes to the full red-yellow-green as in 2008. At least as as an option/preference. Also add the Enabled/Disabled gray to the full task-box. The green check-mark is too small to see, particularly on large packages. The red, yellow, green (and gray for disabled) are easily seen even when zoomed out to view the entire package. Allow showing both the COLOR and the Check-box.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Fix error SQL71610 because SQL 2016 supports temporal tables with computed / calculated columns

This table definition is permitted in SQL Server 2016 but SSDT 14.0.60812.0 for VS 2015 gives a database project error SQL71610 (System-versioned temporal tables with computed columns are not supported.)

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[MyTable]
    (
    [_ValidFrom] [DATETIME2](2) GENERATED ALWAYS AS ROW START HIDDEN NOT NULL,
    [_ValidTo] [DATETIME2](2) GENERATED ALWAYS AS ROW END HIDDEN NOT NULL,
    PERIOD FOR SYSTEM_TIME ([_ValidFrom], [_ValidTo]),

[A] VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    [B] VARCHAR(16) NULL,
    [C] As (A + Coalesce('\' + Nullif([B], ''), '')) PERSISTED,

CONSTRAINT PK_MyTable PRIMARY KEY ([C])
    ) WITH (SYSTEM_VERSIONING = ON (HISTORY_TABLE = [dbo].[MyTable_History], DATA_CONSISTENCY_CHECK = ON));

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Report Data Tab - collapse dataset view default

When you click on the Datasets within the Report Data tab, all the queries are expanded. Is there a way to set the default view to have all the Datasets collapsed?

As you can see in the depiction below, the first 2 Datasets are collapsed because I collapsed them manually and the third dataset is expanded which shows all the columns in that Dataset.

> dsEstimated_W

> dsActual_V

> dsActual_V_yearEnd

- count

- orgCount

- year

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Automatically generate rollback script when generating deployment script

Currently we are using SSDT to automatically generate the script that will be applied in our environments. However if for some reason we need to rollback the changes, we need to manually generate the new delta (rollback script).

It looks like it should be doable to generate the rollback script at the same time the tool is generating the push forward script.

This feature will be really appreciated.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Schema Compare Settings in Visual Studio 2013

Provide a feature for Visual Studio 2013 to choose your schema compare settings such that they will stay after closing Visual Studio 2013 and reopening. This feature already existed in VS2010 through Tools->Options->Database Tools->Schema Compare but does not exist in Visual Studio 2013.

I posted a message on the forums asking where this feature was but was told by a Microsoft employee that it doesn't exist and to ask for the feature here. The following is the link to that forum post: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e65216b8-f7c8-4ec1-b69f-78eddef087f6/setting-schema-compare-settings-in-visual-studio-2013?forum=visualstudiogeneral

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make the SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) plugin compatible with any version of Visual Studio.

I have lived through VS 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, and I am now upgrading to 2015. My job is split 50%/50% between regular C# development and BI development. Every time a new version of VS comes out, I want to but cannot upgrade until a compatible version of SSDT comes out. Personally, I have not seen any major changes in SSDT or the classic Microsoft BI stack since roughly 2008. I've changed jobs since then, so maybe I just don't remember. My suggestion is to make the SSDT plugin universal across all versions of Visual Studio. Whichever VS I have…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve R Support inside SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) (e.g. R intellisense)

In SSMS, I don't like having to put my R code inside quotations as strings. For now, they advise to use other tools for R then copy the R code as string inside a SQL script when loading R code to SQL Server.

Language intellisense within a different host language is not new.
    VB.NET has xml literals. C# has string interpolations (they implemented it like a different language inside C#).
    Hence, I believe this is really possible.

We don't want to duplicate code around. Please add this feature. :-)

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide the "http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQLServer/reporting/reportdesigner" XSD

SSRS objects are referencing this schema under the prefix "rd".

It could be really useful for developers who need to generate VS or Report Builder friendly items.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add "View Dependencies" option to SQL Server Object Explorer in Visual Studio.

This is available in Management Studio when you right-click on tables in the object explorer. It's very useful when writing queries. I keep having to switch back-and-forth just to use of this feature. I wish I could do this in Visual Studio to streamline.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Schema Compare: add Select All / None check boxes & Search text box

Currently, you have to select all your objects and right-click and pick Enable / Disable, which takes forever and actually on our large databases goes away for 10 minutes before coming back. How about adding convenient Select All / None checkboxes to the top of the page? Also add a Search text box to only show objects that match the search. These would be a huge help.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Set a field to Null for SQL Azure in SQL Management Studio

With Sql Management Studio trying to set a cell to Null (CONTROL+0 shortcut) will give the following error message, despite that the column is nullable:

---------------------------
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    Invalid value for cell (row 2, column 23).

The changed value in this cell was not recognized as valid.
    .Net Framework Data Type: String
    Error Message: Cell does not allow NULL.

Type a value appropriate for the data type or press ESC to cancel the change.
    OK Help

The only two other options are: doing it in code (can be a lot of work for a…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Cache Entity queries that use List .Contains

Currently in Entity Framework, if you use a List.Contains to query for your data, the SQL query will not be cached causing such a performance hit on the server generating the SQL that it is not even a realistic option to use the List.Contains. This limitation is a huge drawback of using Entity Framework, and if this type of generated SQL could be cached then it would be a huge improvement for EF.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Stop making me do visual design work in Microsoft Sql Server Mgt Studio, make it available in VS 2017, SQL Svr Obj Explorer.

Stop making me do visual design work in Microsoft SQL Server Mgt Studio, make it available in VS 2017, SQL Server Object Explorer. Add a design option.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Deploy SSIS Packages developed using SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2015 to older versions of SQLServer

This is actually a re-open of a previously closed SSRS topic.
    We have customers using SQL Server 2005 (yes it's not supported anymore), SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014. To support these customers we keep older machines (VM's) with VS2005, VS2008 with appropriate SSRS tools to maintain reports.
    It would be very convenient if the SSRS tools in VS2015 would allow you to define which target SQL Server you will be deploying to and the RDL files would then be in the appropriate format. Even when I have to choose which version I want to…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql Missing Assembly Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql

I got this error on my Build Server : Warning: Problem deployment of tests series: the assembly or the module Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql ' referenced directly ou indirectly by the test container 'd:\builds\agents\1\myproject\mybuilddefinition\bin\project.tests.dll' not found.

I found that the DLL Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql refrence assembly Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql but this assembly does not exists.

I join the dependancy walker of the problem in file

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When altering column from NULL to NOT NULL, validate more intelligently

Currently, when updating a column from NULL to NOT NULL in a .sqlproj project and then either running a publish from Visual Studio or executing the built DACPAC against an existing database, we get the following error if the table has ANY records in it:

If the table contains data, the ALTER script may not work. To avoid this issue, you must add values to this column for all rows or mark it as allowing NULL values, or enable the generation of smart-defaults as a deployment option.

Instead of raising the error if there are any records at all in…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support the $(DevEnvDir) macro in Visual Studio Database Projects

I created a new database project in Visual Studio 2015.

I wanted to invoke SqlPackage.exe in the post-build event, but the $(DevEnvDir) macro isn't defined in order for msbuild to find SqlPackage.exe in that directory.

A work-around is to hard-code the path, ex. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\SQLDB\DAC\130\sqlpackage.exe" but this is not the best solution.

For example, I expected to be able to use "$(DevEnvDir)Extensions\Microsoft\SQLDB\DAC\130\sqlpackage.exe" instead of hard-coding the path.

Thank you!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base