Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. От България съм

Компютърния език е доста сложен. Както аз не го разбирам него вие не ме разбирате мене.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Clojure Programming Language

I would like to see support for the Clojure programming language.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Python Build Events

Python is primarily scripting but it can be compiled or packaged. Add build events, with build configurations (idea ref: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/33473989-python-build-configurations).

Best case: User-specified commands/compilers that could be expected to return errors, output, success in a manner that VS understands. Additionally allow specifying pylint scripts which would function like Code Analysis in C++, C#, etc (maybe even an MS-specified default pylint config). Allow pre/post build events.

Simplest Case: At least allow a general "build command" that simply runs. Users might specify BAT files to run pyinstaller, python scripts for unit testing, a setup.py to build/setup before running.

I think this…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. support the processing language (processing.org)

It would be nice to be able to develop Processing applications and debug them from VS.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Only offer auto-complete options after the second or third character of a term has been entered

Statistical analyses run in R often make extensive use of single character variables (such as 'x' and 'y'), so the autocomplete can become cumbersome.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Support different programming languages through language packs, similar to Visual Code.

Visual Code has the ability to load different language packs, for programming languages not supported officially by Microsoft. It would be great to have that same ability within Visual Studio, with the same file format being used by both Visual Code and Visual Studio.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Like PyCharm's Python Console, it'd be nice to show all variables declared in my python interactive mode.

Python is not a strong-type language. If VS python interactive mode can work like your Debug mode by summarizing all available (declared) in another window, it would much easier for us to figure out how others code work.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. support math expressions directly in xaml without external converter tools

I would like to do things like:
    <Button Height="{Math MY_BUTTON_HEIGHT_RESOURCE/2}" />

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. R tools' should be able to autocomplete all variable names in a data frame

At present, only the first handful of a data frame's variable names will autocomplete. So 'dataframe$variable1' will be offered as an autocomplete option after entering 'dataframe$', but the same will not be true for 'variable50'.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a new feature to VS

Please please please add compiler for C language in VS. I really want to use many special tools and functions in VS to code in C language, but it doesn't support it. IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO ADD C LANGUAGE COMPILER INTO THE VS

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. msxml3.dll no longer workes with Compiled HTML Help Files

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but the moderator of the forum I originally posted it to directed me here.

After installing Windows 10, my MSDN Library (from Visual Studio 6, October 2001) reports scripting errors on most pages. After debugging the error, the problem is that the MSXML.DOMDocument ActiveX control cannot retrieve an XML file (embedded in the Help Collection). The version of the msxml3.dll/msxml3r.dll files is MSXML 3.0, 8.110.10586.494 (sizes 1,902,592/3,072 bytes). The previous version of these dll files works fine - version MSXML 3.0 SP11, 8.110.7601.23373 (sizes 1,885,696/2,048 bytes). I…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. enable running PyLint upon saving a file

Currently, it takes two clicks to run PyLint on a source code file in Visual Studio 2017, while in VS Code any configured linter(s) are automatically run upon saving a file.

I'd suggest introducing an option in Visual Studio 2017 for running any configured linters on save (like it was done for TypeScript, for example)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Build in full support for Ruby, for a start

Just as the title goes, build in support for Ruby, unless Microsoft feels that there are insufficient numbers of developers using Ruby. It is quite a large group, not just from the TIOBE index, and folks outside Japan are beginning to notice its utility.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Automatically import project references (.dlls) into T4 Templates

I have a few custom T4 Templates that I make available in NuGet packages. These templates depend on functionality compiled with the project they reside in, so I import the .dlls. I then package the project (assemblys + Templates) in NuGet and install them into multiple, separate projects.

The problem here is I need to now reference the .dlls that came with the Templates from the Package's path, and this is not known during packaging time (e.g. I can't push the path with the Templates themselves). What I end up having to do is manually Find and Replace the paths…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. #D3c0~ language

A "single point of reference" proprietary language that will be as far separated from English as text is created by adding and/or subtracting, dividing & multiplying symbol based languages written in dirt not to withstand time or carry weight )+( carved in stone as cuneiform 50,000 years ago still standing from the time of inception. A more perfect union of meaning including the space, delete, and arrow keys to form an elite code. 1 which will never be deciphered.

)+( 1 < 0

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. add modeling projects

Thanks for attention!)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Able to install a set of python packages through a requirement file

Able to install a set of python packages through a requirement file

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Provide direct support for C language

Please provide support for the C language apart from C++. A user for example can choose a specific standard (c99, c11, etc...) and vs2017 could invoke gcc to compile the code. The IDE should underline invalid C syntax accordingly as well.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Install python 64 bit into "standard place"

I really appreciate that Visual Studio installs Python automatically into system when installing it, but I really appreciate that it would ask if I want it as separate product or installed under Visual studio path. I had "new machine" where I started to work and I installed Visual Studio professional first and now when installing Python 64 bit it suggests that I upgrade this version of inside Visual Studio (with quite peculiar path).

This is just tiny improvement idea for discussion
    I work with Visual Code, Wing IDE and sometimes with Visual Studio (which is quite heavy package for inter…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add PHP Converter to new versions of Visual Studio

Back in the old days, Microsoft provided converters for php and asp in VS2003

There are still plenty of php code out there. Microsoft should provide at least php conversion support to cshtml

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base