Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. C11 Generic function support

I suggest you add support for Generic functions to your compiler, it's supported by Clang (and I believe GCC, but don't quote me on that), it's a pretty standalone feature, and really all it needs is preprocessor support for the _Generic keyword.

I personally use this feature, in some of my media processing libraries.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change order of external tools location

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351443/change-order-of-external-tools-location.html
    Now VS2015 installation includes old version of node.js and npm. Also devs have newer version installed globally on their machines.
    So it would be awesome to have node and npm, which are shipped with VS2015 as fallback and set higher priority for already installed external web tools.
    I propose to have following order:
    1. .\node_modules\.bin
    2. $(PATH)
    3. $(DevEnvDir)\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WEB TOOLS\External
    $(DevEnvDir)\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WEB TOOLS\External\git

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Arabic Language

Hello,
    Why you dont care about arabic language, you didnt provide content by arabic language and in the same time you provide your content and prudect by languages used by numbers of people around the world less than arabic so why you didnt think about provide arabic language with all languages you already provide it?

I hope you take this idea into action soon

Thanks

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. LaTeX Project Support

Visual Studio is a great tool for authoring any kind of text. With the Markdown Editor we can already author documentation/readme pages of eg. GitHub projects.

By supporting LaTeX project types, the amazing usability of Visual Studio would be available for authoring scientific documents.

Just imagine: Version control, snippets, compilation, files, packages, including your scientific paper with the project solution..

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Apply Groovy syntax highlighting to files named 'Jenkinsfile'

Jenkins is a very popular CI tool. (There is an Azure team defining 'Jenkins Reference Architecture' right now.)

Jenkins Pipeline builds are written in Groovy. The standard filename for them is 'Jenkinsfile', with no extension.

It would be nice if the Groovy syntax highlighting applied to these files by default.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Java [Open JDK]

Java is the most widely taught and used language in the developing countries like India but there is no IDE as powerful as Visual studio for it. So i request you too add JAVA support officially for the Visual studio. Best option will be support for Open-JDK which is already an open source project.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. support tslint in Visual Studio 2017

Please support tslint in VS 2017 just like how it's done in VS Code

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. yapf support

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351741/yapf-support.html
    I would like to see Visual Studio support yapf autoformatting the way Visual Studio Code does.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 希望能够增加中文编程,比如易语言中文C语言

希望能够增加对中文编程的支持,比如易语言,中文JAVA,

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. typescript in Visual Studio 2017

Typescript support should be same as in VS Code which it supports local typescript installed in node_modules. Then we don't need to install typescript globally.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Remove or enable an option to disable "Match end-tag" in the HTML Editor

There has got to be an option to turn off / disable the "Match end-tag" feature found here:

http://webtooling.visualstudio.com/languages/html/#match-end-tag

If there is an unmatched tag on a page and I need to change the start tag, the system finds the next end tag on the page and automatically changes it even if there isn't a corresponding end tag. This means that while I'm actively editing / adding new code to a file, the IDE starts changing other code unrelated to my changes because it thinks things are related even though they're not.

I added a lengthy explanation as angry_code on…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please add Pascal ( I know you have BASIC )

I know Microsoft used to have Pascal (or at least some Object based Pascal/Oberon/Modula/Delphi -based language) but for some strange reason it seems to have been dropped. Pascal makes easily readable code, and is a great stepping stone for people who find C or C# based syntax daunting or as powerful language of its own. It is far more C-like in structure and keywords than BASIC. (I'm not as certain about managed vs unmanaged ... PascalSharp?)

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Reference another nodejs project as a local NPM module/dependency

Lets say I have a node.js project that I am working on. While I'm working on that node.js project, I realize that I want to abstract a component into its own node package, or I want to develop a node package on its own to support the main project.

I want to be able to add another project to the solution and reference it as an npm module, and also build the dependent project and add it to the node_modules folder of the main project when I debug/publish/build the main project.

Its like referencing a sibling project in C# as…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add C !

would it be possible to add C? With a compiler and a predictive text for functions?

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hope that Microsoft can develop multi-national languages to support the programming language, specifically, not only the IDE supports multi-

Hope that Microsoft can develop multi-national languages to support the programming language, specifically, not only the IDE supports multi-language, programming language keywords. NET library also supports multi-language, if the source code to support multi-language automatic conversion is even better.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Hope to support Chinese programming, such as “易语言”, Chinese C language, Chinese Java, Chinese phython, and so on.

Hope to support Chinese programming, such as “易语言”, Chinese C language, Chinese Java, Chinese phython, and so on.Make it easy to use our own mother tongue programming

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Provide a warning for python implicit string concatenation

Provide a warning for python implicit string concatenation when there is no whitespace between the two strings (some discussion here - https://lwn.net/Articles/551426/) because it is almost always a bug and there are alternative solutions (triple quoted strings) to get around it.

My specific reason is that coming from SQL, I'm in the habit of escaping a single quote using a pair of single quotes e.g. 'That''s mine'. However in python that is parsed as two strings and concatenated to 'Thats mine'. The programmer almost certainly did not intend the result produced. And whilst you can't fix Python, you could…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add Fortran programming language

Add Fortran programming language native to visual studio like C\C++ (Visual Fortran).

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Debug + Set as Startup File

If we could have an option to Debug just single python files without having to Right Click on the file and then setting it as start up file and then debugging it. Insteas something like Shift+F5 debugs the current file and not the entire project.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base