Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Visual Studio Tools for Unity available por Visual Studio Express

I see MS has recently released Visual Studio Tools for Unity for VS2013... but it seems to work only for Pro and above versions. Is it possible (or even planned) to be released for VS Express?

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Javascript support

Our project (which has been in development in Unity for two years) is written in Javascript, so we cannot use Visual Studio Tools for Unity. As I understand it, UnityVS supported Javascript until the very moment Microsoft purchased the company, so it should be really easy to bring it back (if nothing else, include a disclaimer that it may not be perfect, maybe even offer an old build that still supported it). Unity still fully supports Javascript (all examples are still written in both Javascript and C#), and I'm sure there are many existing projects like ours in active development…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Unity itself is moving its documentation, standard assets and sample projects to C#. Our team is focusing its engineering effort to support C# and as such we do not have a plan right now to support UnityScript.

Thanks & best regards,
    Jb Evain, Dev Lead, Tools for Unity

3. Make F1 work for Unity Docs

It would be nice if when highlighting a word and pressing F1, the Unity documentation would open instead of the VS Help download page.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi!

Thanks for this suggestion!

Unfortunately, we need F1 to open the MSDN .NET/C# documentation.

We need another way to open the Unity documentation, which is completely Unity specific. You can access it like this:

http://unityvs.com/documentation/unity-documentation/

The optimal way to fix this would be to integrate the Unity documentation in the Visual Studio documentation, but that is only be possible if Unity exports its documentation under a format the Visual Studio documentation understands.

Right now, we provide a quick way to access both documentations.

Jb Evain, Senior SDE Lead, Tools for Unity

4. Add preview from Solution Explorer to Unity Project Explorer

In case I'm not using the correct terminology, I'm referring to when you single-click on a class in the Solution Explorer and it opens a temporary tab to view the class.

The Unity Project Explorer window is a convenient replacement for the Solution Explorer for Unity projects, but missing this feature makes me prefer using the regular Solution Explorer.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I’ve declined this particular feature request but I’m pretty sure you’ll like the reason why!

We’re working on removing the need for a custom Unity Project Explorer by having the traditional Solution Explorer display the project like Unity does. This way, you’ll have the best of both worlds: the Unity view of your projects, with the way the Solution Explorer currently works.

Jb Evain, Dev Lead, Tools for Unity.

5. Make it possible to set a custom name for the generated sln and csproj files

And not tie it to the containing folder name
    example
    UnityVS.CustomName.sln
    UnityVS.CustomName.CSharp.csproj

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi!

As part of the work on the native support for VSTU in Unity 5.2, VSTU now generates solution files without a prefix. The solution file is named after the Unity project name. We do not have plans to make this configurable, as we want the VS project name to be the same as Unity’s.

6. Don't automatically expand classes in the Unity Explorer

When double-clicking files in the Unity Explorer, it automatically expands them to show the classes within.

Since most (well-designed) files have a single class in them by the name of the file, this is useless and cumbersome. The whole explorer quickly becomes cluttered with duplicate class names in single-level hierarchies.

The regular Solution Explorer doesn't have this behaviour.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I’ve declined this particular feature request but I’m pretty sure you’ll like the reason why!

We’re working on removing the need for a custom Unity Project Explorer by having the traditional Solution Explorer display the project like Unity does. This way, you’ll have the best of both worlds: the Unity view of your projects, with the way the Solution Explorer currently works.

Jb Evain, Dev Lead, Tools for Unity.

7. Either start supporting Boo and Unityscript again, or let us get the old versions!

It's kind of useless for me now. You basically stole the product from the customers, as they can't have what they purchased (even the old versions)!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Make Visual Studio for Unity open Script API page when click Ctrl + ' like MonoDevelop.

When I use MonoDevelop on PC to develop game with Unity. I can use Ctrl + ' to open the Script API when I select a class name or method in the script code (C#).
    But when I move to Visual Studio, I can not use this to open Script API document like this. I have to open Script API doc manually.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow user defined conditional compilation symbols

Currently, UnityVS seems to create Visual Studio Project files with a non-editable set of conditional compile symbols (e.g. UNITY_EDITOR). However, this makes editing code that isn't used in the editor (i.e. surrounded by "#if !UNITY_EDITOR") difficult, as Visual Studio will grey out these sections of code, and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn this off in VS 2013. You can edit the project manually to remove the symbol, but UnityVS will overwrite that.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi!

Our generated projects must represent the state of the compilation in Unity, so you can not change them from the Visual Studio side.

That being said, you can change the compilation symbols used by the C# Unity compiler inside Untiy itself. See the Platform Custom Defines in:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PlatformDependentCompilation.html

Thanks & best regards,

10. Add support for Debugger Visualizers

Visualizers are represented in the debugger by a magnifying glass icon. When you see the magnifying glass icon in a DataTip, in a debugger variables window, or in the QuickWatch dialog box, you can click the magnifying glass to select a visualizer appropriate to the data type of the corresponding object.

Visualizers are components of the Visual Studio debugger user interface. A visualizer creates a dialog box or another interface to display a variable or object in a manner that is appropriate to its data type. For example, an HTML visualizer interprets an HTML string and displays the result as…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi!

Unfortunately this is not a scenario that we will be able to support as debugger visualizers require that both the debugger and the debuggee run the same version of .NET, and Unity uses a non compatible implementation of .NET.

Thanks & best regards,

11. Fix GetMonoIslands bug

When i have a c# file with more than one monobehavior defined, it causes a editor bug "The compiler this script was imported with is not available anymore. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:GetMonoIslands()"

I know that this way of working is not the normal way to structure a c# unity project, but it is valid. C# files with multiple monobehavior defined will compile and work fine, it is just that single error.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Enable UnityVS to support older versions of Unity

It seems like UnityVS's debugging functionality only supports Unity 4. There are still some of us that develop in older versions of Unity (ver 3.5) that would prefer to develop and debug in VS. Is there any hope that you might support older versions of Unity in the future?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. pubish dacpac

When I update a data-tier application through SQL Server Management Studio certain options are lacking (Ignorepermission, DropobjectsNot inSource,...)
    The options are available through sqlpackage.exe with use of bat files.
    It would be VERY usefull to add these properties in SSMS aswell.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Start VS after Unity is started automatically

At least be able to configure this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Unfortunately that’s not something that we will be able to address as we don’t have a way to know from Unity is we’re opened for the first time or if we’re being reloaded after a script change.

Thanks & best regards,
    Jb Evain, Dev Lead, Tools for Unity..

15. add go to source double click from unity console debug to visual studio source code with third party dll

i add thrid party dll to my project. we i have a error debug in the unity console. i double click the error from console like before, but it can't go to the source code, it tell me frame not in moudle. i rebuild the dll, still not go to source code. can you add this feature?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base