Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please add a feature in Release Management tool to search the releases by Release ID then name. I would really help and save time too.

I'm working in Release Management Team and have been using your Microsoft Release Management tool. The CI is enabled and hence the deployment gets triggered as soon as the build is successful. I approve the releases to push the code to higher environments but I'm finding it very difficult to find a particular release. Our Developers share us the build number which is not sufficient for me to find the corresponding release which is triggered with that build. They also share the Release ID but it is of no use since I can not find a release with the help…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Maintain latest datetimes by each configuration item within TFS.

Please consider keeping last update dates and times for files checked into TFS. Existing functionality extracts all files with the same date and time of the extract making it dificult to identify specific items which need to be applied to a specific solution/system.

Provides ability to sort Configuration items on the dates and times.
    Provides ability to compare required items to the last build date.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I downloaded the Visual Studio community 2015 which has the 7.220 GB property of the ISO file...i think it is too good ....thanks ...Shaile.

I think can be very helpful to the other version of the studio ...so i suggested to all of you that download this new version and run it on your computer to know about it's features and tools......Shailendra kr. Shukla (shaile)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Processor Definition Intellisense

We have intellisence for many things, but we don't have it for processor defined values. It would be nice (And save a bunch of time and pain), if VS would show existing process variables as we type (meaning after a #if statement).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Move Licensing and user defined Conditional Compilation Symbols in a .user file

Whenever you wish to pinball between different machines that might use different symbols while using version control and especially when using machines with both Pro and Free version, the DefineConstants in the csproj files get flagged all the time just because you open the solution.
    It would be much easier for people using git to have a csproj.user file that contains the licensing and whatever user-defined symbols where Unity can write to from the Editor and only ever update the csproj when file refs are being added or removed. This way we can also use git's assume-unchanged to remove it…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please add Beyond Compare as one of the supported Revision Control Diff/Merge options.

I regularly recommend BeyondCompare as the diff/merge tool of choice to my team. It would be great if this was added as one of the supported Revision Control Diff/Merge options for full integration.

It is *far* superior to P4Merge/P4Diff in my experience, I highly recommend it to anyone that does a lot of diffing or merging via Perforce :)

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. On the stories backlog, it would be good to have a column to signify urgency.

On the stories backlog, it would be good to have a column to signify urgency. So whilst i can add due date or target date as they are not fields in the items them selves I have no way to flag a ticket that is due soon.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Let me configure a project to generate Unity symbol files without running the Unity Editor

It would be nice if I could configure the Unity integration, especially the symbol file generation, entirely from Visual Studio. My process, and the process I preach on Unity Answers and their Forum, is to start with a blank solution and use TDD to build the engine of the game, compiling directly to a sub folder of my Unity project's assets folder.

This works great except on those occasions when I need a stack trace or (gasp) want to ***** open the debugger. In those cases, I have to open Visual Studio from Unity. This generates a separate solution file…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. why the users of visual studio should go pay for third party tools why can't microsoft collaborate all those tools in single IDE

why the users of visual studio should pay for third party tools why can't microsoft collaborate all those tools in single IDE . By doing this i think microsoft can attract users from open source

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I suggest you FIRE EVERYONE ON THE VISUAL STUDIO TEAM!

The COMPLETE IDIOTS who put together that workable pile called Visual Studio should all be fired! Or maybe, just maybe, hire ONE QA that will step up and say, "This **** stinks!". It is by far the worst MS app ever throw into a pile and handed out as an application.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. You Should Provide visual Studio Free Of Cost Atleast For Students :(

I Want To Work On Visual Studio But Cox Ov Money I Can't :(
    Please Provide It Free Of cost So Everyone Can USe It
    Please...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Open Xaml and C# code behind at the same time in two windows side by side

I often want to work on XAML and the C# code behind at the same time and would like a way to open both side by side instead of having to click on them separately and then arrange them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. У меня не работает программа Visual Studio 2013. Я пришел на пару, запустил эту нехорошую программу и она не стала включатся, я ждал очень

У меня не работает программа Visual Studio 2013. Я пришел на пару, запустил эту нехорошую программу и она не стала включатся, я ждал очень долго, мне задавали вопросы по поводу работы, а я не могу на них ответить, т.к. ничего не делаю из-за этой проклятой программы! Надеюсь вы предпримете меры.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Favorits for Documents

Hallo,
    in Visual Studio you can see under TeamExplorer-DOCUMENTS
    your Documents in a tree. Can you add a functionality that I can tag a document as a Favorit-Document so that I don't need to navigate through the tree?
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Drag nad drop control on web form directly from tool box on to web form

In early days of VS2013 one can easily drag and drop control directly on the web form no MSFT made more difficult and time consuming

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Remove the resist requirement of school email address. I am a professor at a university but without a school email.

When I try to login Vs 2015, the system ask me to enter email but it refused my hotmail account and ask me to enter my school email. Unfortunately, our university does not provide our school email. We all use public email service. There are thousands of schools in the world have the same policies. Your equipment makes trouble to those students and teachers. I used to be a software engineer at Microsoft. Hope you consider those people.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. make it possible to send bug reports about visual studio

Hi! It would be great if I would be able to go to https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/LoadSubmitFeedbackForm and post a bug report about visual studio instead of reading "You are not authorized to submit the feedback for this connection." because that bugtracker is public and it is strange that I'm not authorized.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. can you do 3D as well

i like it so fare nice job also think about doing 3D work

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Compact Visual Studio Community for Unity

Please, could you make Visual Studio Community 2017 for Unity compact as Codelite ?

Less hard disc size (Codelite is only 170 MB ) and faster boot and faster compiling.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base