Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include SketchFlow in Blend 2015

We use SketchFlow extensively for prototyping new applications and soliciting feedback from our clients. It has been invaluable for quickly prototyping UI screens and communicating to the client that the UI is just a "sketch" and it's not "almost done". Also, the XAML architecture can largely be reused to jump start the final development of the application.

At the very least, provide the "sketchy" styles with Blend so we can continue to use it without the player.

118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    25 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Merge Expression Blend and Visual Studio so I don't have to go back and forth between two different tools to program Silverlight and WPF

Merge Expression Blend and Visual Studio so I don't have to go back and forth between two different tools to program Silverlight and WPF. Its crazy to have to use two different IDEs. Blend has a terrible Xaml editor and V.S. doesn't work well with behaviors, templates, and design time data.Take the good stuff from each one and put them together. Please!

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add more stencils and mockups to Blend

Add more stencils and mockups to blend, or update gallery and option to share or upload owns stencils and mockups...

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make it possible to uninstall blend

It would be nice to have an option to not install, or at least uninstall, Blend - some of us have no use.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

While we are constantly looking for ways to improve your experience in acquiring Visual Studio (including space concerns), this is one item we are not going to address this item.

Blend and the Visual Studio XAML designer share almost the same code and DLLs, and Blend by itself should not have any additional/significant impact to your installation experience. Please note that we already have plans to allow further customizations to how you enable platforms like WPF in the future, that should also help here (where we will not enable Blend if you choose to only enable platforms that don’t require a XAML designer).

Thanks,
    Unni

Program Manager,
    Visual Studio

5. open source Expression Design

Expression Design is still used often by XAML developers to design assets for their applications. It is useful, but lacks some features that would make it a true competitor against Adobe Illustrator.

Open sourcing the application would give developers like myself the opportunity to continue the development and make this great tool even better.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Use blend for devolping Windows 10 universal apps in javascrip, HTML and CSS

Designing apps via programmed HTML and CSS is not easy!

Blend 2013 had the solution for this. Via a visual way you coud easy style your app.

When will this solution come to blend 2015?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Visual Studio 2015, we are focusing on better code, editing, and debugging experiences for HTML app developers inside Visual Studio. Unfortunately, we do not plan to bring back HTML/CSS design support in the Blend product for Windows 10 Universal apps built using JavaScript.

Thanks,
    Unni Ravindranathan
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

7. Include Blend for Visual Studio Express for Desktop 2013

Blend is not available for people developing WPF apps using VS Express 2013.

This means visual states, animations and behaviours are all much trickier to develop.

Blend for WPF was previously available for VS Express 2012 and is currently available for VS 2013 as well as other Express 2013 editions, but NOT Express for Desktop 2013.

Please update Blend for VS Express Desktop 2013.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback.

Starting with Visual Studio 2013, we introduced the free Community edition and have Blend as a part of that as well that you can use to design/develop user interfaces for WPF projects (in addition to Windows Store, etc.). Hence, we are declining this ask (we have no plans to add to the Visual Studio Express for Desktop).

Thanks,
    Unni

Program Manager,
    Visual Studio

8. Add 'Blend with Light Editor' theme

Please add an extra theme ‘Blend with light code window’. It will make reading my code (C# and XAML) so much easier for me. I don’t want to use the Light theme because then I don’t see the difference between Visual Studio and Blend. I have Photoshopped an example of what I want.

Maybe you can support the 'Color Theme Extension' for VS2015 and Blend 2015 too, see https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/9e08e5d3-6eb4-4e73-a045-6ea2a5cbdabe

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, for Visual Studio vNext, we do not have any current plans to add any new additional themes to Blend (outside of the ones we support today). We will focus more on addressing some of the existing issues we have with those themes.

Thanks,
    Unni

Program Manager,
    Visual Studio

9. Support Xamarin XAML in Blend

XAML support in Blend is *close* to the XAML used in Xamarin but not close enough to be usable. Given the relationship between Microsoft and Xamarin, I'd love to see Blend "tweaked" to support Xamarin Forms XAML. Even an imperfect level of support would be worlds ahead of where we are today.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support for HTML/JS apps in Blend for Visual Studio 2015

Please bring back support for HTML/JS Store apps in Blend for Visual Studio 2015. Maybe extend this to cross-platform Cordova apps.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. d:DesignInstance should support F# classes

Currently ( up to including Blend 2015 Preview ) you can't use F# projects in Blend. This means that if you write your ViewModels in F# like I do you can't use these for your design time data. i.e. d:DesignInstance won't recognize F# classes or even C# classes that derive from an F# base class.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add Free Helper

fgjhffhfffht

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Rename this product

The name "Blend" is virtually unsearchable. Trying to find solutions to issues is complicated by an order of magnitude by the fact that the word "blend" is a very common word, and as such trips up search engines.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enable localization visualization

I would like a drop down box that contains the languages supported within my application, so that i can select a language, and then have my resource strings/images/etc pulled into blend and used.

This would allow me to design and find issues in localization without having to change languages within the OS, build and compile the application just to find an issue.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please make Blend a Standalone app available outside Visual Studio

I am not a developer but I do design UIs that are then used by developers. However, currently, I have to unnecessarily install comeplete Visual Studio if I want to use Blend. We can rather have Blend and Visual Studio as either comepletely separate apps or may be something like Microsoft where I can install Word without installing MS Access.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. WYSIWYG EN WEB

Por favor permitan hacer aplicaciones web mas sencillas, el tema visual es muy complicado al seguir estructuras de tablas, seria mucho mejor tipo Wysiwyg.. YA LO HACE DELPHI, sin ningun problema

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make Blend for Visual Studio 2013 a stand alone installation

Blend for Visual Studio 2013 was the last version to support JavaScript. I still use it sometimes, but I don't like the need to install VS2013 Express with it. I really would like the possibility to just download the install from MSDN and have only Blend.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback!

Unfortunately, Blend as a standalone tool would not make much sense since it shares a number of its underpinnings with Visual Studio, including things like its project and build systems, code editors, and the Windows SDKs required to expose APIs. We, of course, continue to keep investing in making both Blend and Visual Studio easy to acquire (and only get you the tools required to build for the platform that you might be targeting).

Thanks,
    Unni

Program Manager,
    Visual Studio

19. Evaluate and run JavaScript in the designer

Evaluate and run JavaScript in the designer so that the UI reflects the DOM changes made by JavaScript.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. "Remote Site" function for VS 2013

Can we bring the "remote site" function back to VS 2013? It is very friendly and useful in 2012 and earlier versions.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base