Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Don't scramble designer.cs files on updating (so diffs become readable)

When a user control or form gets updated via the graphical designer, Visual Studio seems to create the underlying designer.cs file totally anew, instead of updating just what changed.

When you check that into your version control system, a diff view of the changes becomes totally meaningless, since almost every line has some sort of "change".

So please,please, please: try to update the designer.cs files in such a way that changes are minimal.

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      5 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Illustrator ? - Blend Visual Studio 2015

I have designed vector graphics on adobe illustrator and import in the blend? - Blend Visual Studio 2015, how? Please bring it back!

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

As you can imagine Illustrator support is one of the top requested items for Blend for Visual Studio 2015. However, there is a separate item to track that – could you please transfer the votes to the item at the top of our list?

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/6839251-please-bring-back-the-illustrator-import-option-in

Thanks!
        Unni

Program Manager,
        Visual Studio

• Surface binding errors in a way that a developer can see and use.

This might be a popup, this might be a balloon, this might be a build error. To be honest, the ability to choose how it is surfaced would be wonderful, but anything would be better than just a line in the Output window that could by (and often is) easily overlooked.

13 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio WinTools team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. 

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us! 

Jon Chu
          Program Manager, Visual Studio WinTools Team

• Allow Blend to work with F# projects!

There are WPF templates for F# thus I'd like to use Blend with them. Sadly this is not supported, can we have this please?

11 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            closed  ·  1 comment  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add these features to Blend.

Kindly add support for Corel Draw, there is no mesh-fill tool, not able to apply more then one FX, when I apply FX the default status of graphics is lost. XAML has very limited features so I am not able to handle my custom creations, 3Dmax import is not good. Kindly add tools like Corel.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio WinTools team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. 

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us! 

Jon Chu

• Add support for x64 applications to the WPF designer.

Hi,

One of my biggest annoyances in VS is the inability to use the WPF designer on x64-only applications.
              Usually this can be solved by selecting "Any CPU" as the architecture, but in my case (which I'm sure many other developers face as well), I need to use an x64-only DLL, and this forces the whole project to be x64, thus rendering me unable to use the designer.

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Jon Chu

• Please enhance the VS editor for web design

Please enhance the editor for web design (maybe in Blend if not in VS) so we can design how we want to look and VS/Blend generate the corresponding CSS much like Silverlight does ... and consider some improvements like Adobe is doing with Edge Reflow ,Muse , Edge Animate ... i believe that we really really need that and i think Blend is more appropriate for doing this kind of design

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
                  - The Visual Studio Team

• Let me generate Sample Data from any project type

Let me generate Sample Data from XAML files in Shared projects. Please. I work around this right now by making new Blank XAML pages in the Phone project, generating the data, moving the data XAML file into the shared project where I need it, and then deleting the Blank XAML page from the Phone project. It is cumbersome, to say the least.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Support for Validation Rules in the "Create Data Binding..." dialog.

Please include the ability to add a Validation Rule in the "Create Data Binding..." dialog.

Currently a Validation Rule can only be added to a binding by editing the XAML directly, using element syntax.

To make matters worse the validation rule is deleted if the binding is subsequently modified within Blend.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Merge Visual Studio and Blend for VS

Now that Blend for Visual Studio is very nearly identical in functionality to Visual Studio, why not just make it into one program? I understand that Blend is tailored toward more visual design oriented use, and not everyone needs that all the time. But they don't have to be different programs -- you could provide a per-file setting (like the new option to enable or disable running code in the designer) to switch between the current VS editor and the rich Blend editor. In my opinion, that would be far better than switching between applications (that message saying "your code…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Improve design time data within Blend

Working with design time data is currently slow and very painful. Some simple additions and focus on performance would be very welcome:
                        - performance when adding, renaming and deleting properties
                        - support for drag and drop to move properties in the tree
                        - support for copying both within a data set, but also into another data set

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Add touch and pen input detection to Blend

Using Blend it would be nice if we didn't have to hold down the space bar when using using our fingers to move around the map.

It would also be nice if when using a Wacom pen device we could simply draw on the blend canvas.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Create StaticResources instead of DynamicResources (WPF)

I would love to have an extra setting in which you could tell Blend to use StaticResources instead of DynamicResources. In WPF projects Blends always uses a DynamicResource in XAML. I would love to use the faster StaticResources as default.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Make it easier to scroll in the designer

At the moment the mouse wheel controls vertical scrolling and ctrl-mouse wheel controls horizontal scrolling, there should be a pull or pan option, when holding right or middle click.

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Generate ThemeDictionaries inside Blend

Add a Theme generator feature to Blend.

I now generate ThemeDictionaries using Hammer.Pants, https://github.com/Sonnemaf/HAMMER

I would love to have similar functionality in Blend.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Línea del editor

Estaría bueno que al costado del editor de código salga el número de línea, así se encuentra más rápido el error

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Send Nice Quality Rakhi to Dearest Brother on the Special Day of Rakhi

Festivals we rejoice throughout Asia take a spiritual along with interpersonal information. This is why were the media along with maximum numbers of fairs and festivals. Zero 30 days in the united kingdom is remaining without pageant or maybe it is celebration. For the thirty day period involving June you will find there's bash involving adore in addition to treatment that is as Raksha Bandhan.

It really is possibly one of the primary festivities in the united states, because of the faith in addition to opinion of folks through many throw and also creed inside. Raksha Bandhan is often a…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      closed  ·  0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Blend and VS should not interfere each other when both are started.

Blend and VS should not interfere each other when both are started.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• Add Visibility Options in the context menu. It would be nice to right click on a grid in the object & Timeline and Collapse, Hide, Etc.

Add Visibility Options in the context menu. It would be nice to right click on a grid in the Objects & Timeline and Collapse, Hide or make Visible.

Currently in blend and now in VS2015 I can click on a Object from the list and have to go to the Properties Appearance panel which is on the Right side. I know I can move the panels arround but I like the default look and feel.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Jon Chu

• 1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            closed  ·  0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base