Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. support arithmetic operations on Blend numeric textfields

why not support arithmetic operations on numeric textfields, it can add a real plus-value to the tool and can improve the productivity of the designer/developer

example:

24*7

480/3

240*0.8

24*2+200

241 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Generate tiles and splashscreen in multiple scales in Blend

#Design mockup attached to this idea

Creating all the visual assets for a new app is today a quite heavy process usually done in programs such as Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator.
    What could be really awesome was if Blend could support a small tool where it would be easy to generate visual assets such as tiles and splashscreens for different kind of apps.

If Blend could support vector graphics such as AI files, and place them intelligently inside some guidelines for icons, and generate all the scaled assets, and even scale the resize the icon inside depending on the…

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable locking of guides.

Guides interfere with the design surface when dragging or resizing items. The only way seems to hide them which makes them rather useless.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Include Blend for Visual Studio in Visual Studio Community Edition

Include Blend for Visual Studio (Desktop Edition to build WPF applications) in the Visual Studio Community Edition

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Search on Resources panel

I often work on really big projects using Blend, with lot of styles and templates. It would be really helpful for me to have a way an easy way to search across all the application’s resources.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have added this support in Blend that should be available as a part of the Visual Studio “15” wave of products in the very near future.

We really appreciate the feedback, and please continue to give us feedback so we can make Blend a better product.

Thanks,
    Unni
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

6. Make Blend use the same keyboard shortcuts as Visual Studio

Right now, Blend has it's own set of keyboard shortcuts, and for the most part, they don't match Visual Studios. I would LOVE to see Blend have a keyboard selector like Visual Studio, where it let's me choose which one I want. That way designers used to their other programs can continue to use Blend without change, but so can us VS geeks....uh devs. :>

PS I was told to enter this here from @VisualStudio from Twitter.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Blend to Open With menu in Windows

Blend for VS2013 was in Open With menu, but only Visual Studio Version Selector was in suggested apps. Now with Blend for VS2015 it's not even included in Open With menu! Please bring it back at least!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make a new Blend for VS 2015 not so black

Please make color theme for Blend 2015 not so contrast.
    The original Blend color theme was absolutely perfect.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are happy to let you know that we have addressed this suggestion. You may change the theme in Blend for Visual Studio 2015 to resemble the Dark theme available in Blend for Visual Studio 2013 by going to Tools | Options | Environment | General and changing the Color Theme setting to Dark

9. Enable Selection Of Build Configuration In Blend

I'm working on a Universal App for W8.1 & WP8.1, I have 3 build configurations Debug (On Device), Debug (On Simulator) & Release.

Blend always tries to load Debug (On Device) which given that it's targetting ARM results in obtuse & misleading errors being reported by build because the XAML tooling in both Visual Studio & Blend chokes on non-x86 targets.

If I rename Debug (On Simulator) to Debug, Blend loads it instead.

I deduce from this that Blend works with the build configuration that is found first alphabetically which is frankly bizarre behaviour.

Either enable us to select a…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We redesigned Blend for Visual Studio 2015 to provide you with a great user interface development experience for creating beautiful XAML apps. Blend has a sleek new look consistent with Visual Studio for improved workflow between the two products. As a part of this effort, Blend now has many of the same capabilities as Visual Studio does, including the ability to select build configurations.

Thanks,
    Unni Ravindranathan
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

10. Just only build a project in a solution

In Blend, I can't just only build a project in a solution.

That make me trouble, I have to no error of solution first.

But in Blend, I just want make sure my UI correct.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Could you introduce the Blend 4 feature of 'Make Into Control'?

In Blend 4, you could select a couple of items in say a Grid, then right click it and select Make Into Control. The only option since then has been to bundle the same type of items in a UserControl. This options is quite nice to quickly put together some prototypes, or add cool custom controls to your WPF application.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base