Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide more detailed documentation about how the Android Emulator works

When I first installed the CTP, the VS Emulator for Android worked beautifully.

However, after I experienced unrelated networking issues on my workstation (troubleshooting which required that I disable and reconfigure several of the virtual networking adapters), when I come back to work with the Android emulators, they aren't working correctly.

In the Hyper-V Manager, I have been able to get the virtual machines actually working, fine, if I use the standard Hyper-V Connect interface, instead of the nice VS interface with all the cool Phone/Tablet tools hanging off it.

I can't find, anywhere, documentation that explains how that VS…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Android Emulator available standalone and not bundled with Visual Studio

external user:
      I wish the @VisualStudio Android Emulator was available standalone and not bundled with VS2015 preview...

31 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • VS2015 Emulator for Android on Windows 10 upgrade

Many bugs prevent operation of VS Emulator for Android.
        Mostly configuration and networking issues, and Hyper-V networking conflicts, cause launch to fail. Usually after OS Starting message that never completes.
        Switching between Hyper-V and non-Hyper-V OS required for using VS2015 emulator or Genymotion & VirtualBox emulation is complex enough, but when the Hyper-V configuration fails the situation is bad.

29 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          7 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Loopback address to host

The emulator should be able to connect to it's host ip. At the moment it isn't possible to test an app which communicates with a web server on the host.

The native (Google) android emulator enables access to the host by using the 10.0.2.2 IP address as a loopback to the host.

28 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

These are the instructions for the emulator to connect to a local server:

1. Have your server application listening on 169.254.80.
            2. Make sure any firewall you have enabled allows the server application to communicate in private networks (Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps).
            3. The emulator should be able to reach the server at this point.

Note that the network simulation feature doesn’t apply to connections back to the host.

Ed Munoz
            Software Engineer
            Visual Studio Emulator for Android

• Support for more API levels in Android Emulator (e.g. JellyBean 4.1)

Visual Studio Android Emulator is great, but it only supports Lollipop (5.0+).

Lots of devices out there still use older versions of Android, e.g. 4.3.

Please add more downloadable images to the emulator or allow to create them - like AVD does.

21 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              4 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support Android API Level 23

Please add support for Android API Level 23

19 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Support for Android Lollipop (5.0 or 5.1)

Being able to use a lollipop device to debug and an android application would be a great addition.

Since using an emulator isn't supported on windows7 (because of the lack of hyper-v) it would be great to be able to debug on the latest android OS.

16 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This suggestion is now complete! The Visual Studio Emulator for Android supports Lollipop debug targets starting with Visual Studio 2015 CTP 6: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2015/02/23/visual-studio-2015-ctp-6-and-team-foundation-server-2015-ctp-released.aspx

For more information, please, read: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/02/23/the-visual-studio-emulator-for-android-in-vs2015-ctp6.aspx

If you have any feedback or questions for us, please, reach out using:
                  Send-a-Smile (Visual Studio feedback tool)
                  https://twitter.com/@vsandroidEmu
                  vsddfeed@microsoft.com
                  commenting on the blog post

If you would like to follow news about the Visual Studio Android Emulator, please subscribe to our blog or to our twitter account.

Thanks for sharing this suggestion with us and for using Visual Studio!

Maria Ghiondea
                  Visual Studio Diagnostics

• Build and Debug Android OS with Visual Studio and Android Emulator

Ability to build and debug android OS with Visual Studio and new Android Emulator

9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Android Emulator should support HTTP proxy configuration to allow network monitoring using Fiddler.

Network proxy setting is not exposed in the emulator so that one can easily specify local proxy for quick network monitoring via Fiddler or some other tool.

9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow touch to be used in the emulator

Pass through multitouch input from Windows to the emulator (i.e. allow so that performing touch and gestures on the PC will perform the appropriate actions in the emulator.

The Windows Phone emulator has this behavior, so hopefully it's in the pipeline!

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

This suggestion is now complete! The Visual Studio Emulator for Android supports multi-touch input simulation starting with Visual Studio 2015 CTP 6: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2015/02/23/visual-studio-2015-ctp-6-and-team-foundation-server-2015-ctp-released.aspx

For more information, please, read: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/02/23/the-visual-studio-emulator-for-android-in-vs2015-ctp6.aspx

vsddfeed@microsoft.com

If you would like to follow news about the Visual Studio Android Emulator, please subscribe to our blog or to our twitter account.

Maria Ghiondea

• Add support for OpenGL 2

Part of this was split to http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/7108382-add-support-for-google-play-services
                        _____
                        Hi,

I know both of these are currently listed as limitations - however I just wanted to add my support for adding in both of these features.

My app (and a few other devs that I know) have apps that use push notifications with Google Cloud Messaging and Google Maps (which needs Open GL 2). The emulator is currently miles ahead performance wise vs the regular Android emus, but these two limitations are preventing me from using it for certain development scenarios.

Thanks,
                        Tommy

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

This suggestion is now complete! The Visual Studio Emulator for Android has OpenGL ES support starting with Visual Studio 2015 CTP 6: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2015/02/23/visual-studio-2015-ctp-6-and-team-foundation-server-2015-ctp-released.aspx

vsddfeed@microsoft.com

Maria Ghiondea

• change the product requirements on the product page

Please change the system requirements on the product page (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/visual-studio-2015-system-requirements-vs#1)

They fail to mention that the Android Emulator requires Hyper-V, which requires Windows Professional Ed

I'm now out of pocket because I purchased Win 10 Home (yes, purchased. Windows XP doesn't qualify for the free upgrade).

Windows 10 Home won't support the Android Emulator feature of VS2015.

Your support staff are unable to assist, and I'm unable to get a refund from the retailer.

So, yeah.. that's awesome.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base