Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Vote for an existing idea (3257)
  • or
  1. Main file-specific icon for nested files

Files in Solution Explorer have icons specific to the file type/extension. However, if you nest a file below another file the icon changes to a generic nested file icon. It would be better to maintain the normal icon for the file type.

As an example, nesting js or css files below aspx or ascx files changes their icon and makes them harder to identify.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Nest JS files under TSX files

Visual Studio 2015 nests JS files underneath TS files already. However, the same functionality does not apply to the newer TSX files, making for a messy project. Please add JS nesting support for TSX files too!

18 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow nested files for item templates

I am missing the feature to define nested files in a item template. Items created with a designer create a designer file or user controls have a code behind file, nested in the project tree. I would love to be able to define such nested files by myself.

For example do I create a lot ViewModels and I usually add a ViewModelDesign that I only use for the designer. This would be very useful to display that nested in the project tree to prevent confusion with having double as many items with similar names. Also these file

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Can we show the generated JS file by typescript look like webform code behind?

It would like like the JS and the MAP file is nested under the TS file, just to make the Solution Explorer clean :)

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Option to disable file nesting in ASP.NET 5 / MVC 6 projects

Can we please have a way to disable the auto file nesting in ASP.NET 5 / MVC 6 projects? In some folder structures it can be extremely annoying - for example, if the folder itself already represents a group of related files, in which case the additional nesting becomes highly frustrating.

Also, the auto nesting is highly inconsistent:
            It nests .css, .js and .ts under .html, but for some reason .less and .scss are not nested, despite the fact that they are conceptually exactly the same as .ts - they just compile to .css instead of .js.

There really…

135 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              7 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Identify and Nest Dependent Files in Solution Explorer using Right Click Menu

Identify and Nest Dependent Files in Solution Explorer using Right Click Menu.

Allow us to nest files in solution explorer without having to edit the csproj file. For example, we have 4 files that are breeze.*.js, and I like to nest them as dependent on breeze.js so they show up collapsed in solution explorer.

Currently we edit the csproj file to do this, and we also do it for css and for custom js. Another example:

repositories.js
              -- attendee.repository.js
              -- session.repository.js
              -- speaker.repository.js
              -- lookup.repository.js
              -- abstract.repository.js

For files like jQuery that have 4 or…

393 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                10 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Nest files using drag-n-drop - no having to go into the project file

When building apps, project files can get long. Having the ability to nest files would be a great way to organize a project. Currently, this is accomplished by manually modifying the project file.

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Option to show only hidden files in solution explorer in VS

We should have a way to just view only hidden files in solution explorer. The reason I ask is sometimes with some merge issues with project files, there might be files not included into the project and those files could be nested deep down in folders. The Show All Files only partially solves this problem.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
                    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

• Support GCC's __INCLUDE_LEVEL__ preprocessor macro

GCC's __INCLUDE_LEVEL__ macro gives you the current nesting level of the include file you're in.

In my project, I have internal header files intended only to be included in source files and not in any header files so I'm using:

#if __INCLUDE_LEVEL__ != 1
                    #error Don't include this file in a header file
                    #endif

as a sanity check. It would be nice if MSVC supported this.

20 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Avoid nesting levels for Namespaces in VB and C#

In VB (and C#) if I want to create nested namespaces I have to use syntax like the following...
                      Namespace Foo
                      Namespace Bar
                      End Namespace
                      End Namespace

This adds two extra nesting levels to the file, which I find annoying, because I try to keep within 80-100 columns for readability.

I actually like the Java package syntax for this, and it would fit well with VB, because the Option and Imports keywords already work at this level.

Namespace Foo.Bar

Including the line at the top of the file (after Imports and Options) would cause the rest of the file

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I can understand how horizontal screen estate is at a premium. In your example you used two nested namespace declarations but in both VB and C# you can combine these into a single namespace block:

Namespace Foo.Bar

Class C End Class

End Namespace

This still adds a single level of indentation but that’s a lot better than 2 or more. In C# this is the standard level of indentation by default but in VB most classes don’t require a namespace declaration by default due to the project-level Root namespace property. Given that namespace declarations are already pretty well-understood and the marginal benefit saving a few whitespace characters would grant for the tradeoff of adding another mechanism to the language we’re going to decline this suggestion and return your vote back to you to use for other suggestions.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual…

• Unify Single Click Previewing

Single file preview can be slow. It officially is too slow to turn it on for XAML files.
                        It is very confusing having some files opened on single click and some not, without any obvious reason. If it is too slow for the user, he can turn it off.

Another solution would be to allow to specify which file types should be previewed.
                        Related bug report: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/705611

My point is that it is too slow for other types as well, for example aspx files.
                        Also it is confusing that some files open on single click and…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Fix 260 character file name length limitation

The 260 character limit on file paths really gets in the way of having a deeply-nested project hierarchy. It's only there as backwards compatibility with the old school APIs, and has no place in any sort of modern development environment.

We should be able to work with file paths of whatever size we want.

2,976 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            343 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Nested methods in C#

In C#, allow the creation of nested methods. A nested method must have access to the main method declarations, as well as what can access the main method. A nested method can be called by the code in the main method that follows the declaration of the nested method, or by other nested methods of the main method. The principle is recursive: A nested method can itself have nested methods.

The principle exists in the language Pascal / Delphi. Methods C# syntax is however less well suited at this writing, as can be seen in the proposal of pseudocode that…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Improve interaction with build output Window and error tracking

TL;DR: No easy way to correlate an error in an #include hierarchy to the source file it came from.

Example case:
                              Addition of "#include <Winsock.h>" in a deeply-nested header file results in compilation errors in another, deeply nested header file.

See: https://github.com/kfsone/nesting

User experience:
                              . Confusing error list (see stack overflow for how often this min/max thing confuses people),
                              . Message may be reported in some obscure header file that uses 'min/max' instead of in a cpp file, but nowhere near the source of the mistake.

While VS's "/showIncludes" makes tracking this down easier, once you know…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Bookmarks nested folders

It will be good if the bookmark window supports nesting folders.
                                More info here:
                                https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48462868/visual-studio-nested-bookmark-folders

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Make fsproj Files Include All Files by Default and have a separate File for Compilation Order

For anyone trying to do web development in F#

Having a nested tree structure of Files (like CSS HTML JS) is a real pain to add to an FSProj and as a result I don't use Visual Studio for this.

So I'm suggesting you
                                  - Make FSProj include all files by default and instead you'd add the files (or wild characters) you want to exclude
                                  - Have a separate file (or section) that allows you to specify compilation order

This will make it easy to embed non-compilable assests to your fsproj without pulling your hair out

44 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • New file save directory defaults to last selected directory in folder view

Files created with "New File" aren't associated with an actual file on disk until attempting to save the file (Ctrl-S), at which point a save dialog box pops up asking the user for a directory.

The default directory in the save dialog box appears to be the root of the folder view. But often times one wishes to save in some nested directory. It would be convenient to have the save dialog use the last directory selected (or clicked on) in the folder view. One could then just navigate down to the desired directory, press CTRL-S and type…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
                                      Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

• Nested namespace declarations

I suggest to extend syntax of nested namespace declarations and provide alternative way similar to one implemented in C#:

namespace Outer::Inner // declares nested namespace
                                      {
                                      struct Foo
                                      {
                                      };
                                      }

Outer::Inner::Foo foo;

That would be useful for codebases with high usage of nested namespaces especially with level of depth 3 or more.

116 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        11 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Additional special access level for nesting and nested types

There is no special access level that allows nesting types to exclusively access nesting types and vice versa. This limits usefulness of nested types. It seems that the whole idea of having nested class is to provide special way of "communications" between nesting and nested classes in a way not accessible from/by outside "world".

Let's say that we have two more access levels:

- ForNesting - allows access from inside the type and also from the nesting type (including from more than one level up). Should be applicable to, at least, Procedures, Properties and Member Variables, and also to…

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Nested extension classes

It would be very handy if there was support for extension-nested-classes.

Lets say you need to add a couple of extension methods to a type. If someone else browses the Methods and properties of this type, he will have to struggle through lots of methods which could have been grouped to a nested extension class.

Syntax could be something like this:

public static class Calculator extends ClassToExtend
                                          {
                                          public static double CalculateSomething(this ClassToExtend element)
                                          {
                                          return element.Value1 * element.Value2 / 1.09132;
                                          }
                                          }

This method would be called like is would be in a nested class:

new ClassToExtend().Calculator.CalculateSomething();

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 162 163
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base