Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. assign code review to a TFS group

In any medium to large development environments that I know, each team has at least a few senior developers that do code review on a regular basis. We also fall in this category and we could really use a way to assign code review to a TFS Group, instead of adding each one of the code reviewers in the team to every code review request

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add possibility to track spent time in TFS for MS Scrum template

To use current Scrum template in the real life and real projects, we need to have an additional time tracking system to track spent time of each team member. This is not good for such serious/powerful product as TFS (including TFS online) with integrated work item tracking system, source control system, build services etc. If you want to release a competitive product - you must to think about this feature (even to add one simple column Spent time or to implement something like Log Work feature in Atlassian with GreenHopper).

49 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • TFS 2010 - Build Controllers/Agents security

Future version of TFS should cover security for BUild Controllers/Agents.
        Or at least a way to prevent people in different group to run your build controller/agent if they're all under the same project collection.

48 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • TFS Scrum: Show state of PBIs and Bugs on board

Please indicate the state of the parent work items (first column in each row) on the Scrum board. This would help us in our planning meetings (identifying which items have been committed by the team), standups (is this really done or are we missing a task), and demos.

A text label in the bottom-left corner would be great. If you want to build on this request and use color to indicate then that's fine too.
          http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2295964-tfs-color-query-results-by-field-values-e-g-bug

Thanks!

48 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            4 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Bring color back to VS 2012 RC Source Control Explorer

When connecting to TFS Source Control Explorer, the complete lack of color makes it very difficult to distinguish content. The original Visual Studio 2010 TFS Source Control Explorer interface was best and most closely mirrorred/mimicked the look and feel of Windows Explorer. The complete grayness of Source Control Explorer completely renders the Source Control view useless compared to Visual Studio 2010's interface.

48 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              9 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • API to talk with TFS from different platforms

would nice to have a API that is platform independ (like webservices) to talk with TFS. This so its possible to create WIndows Store apps that communicate with TFS

47 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add the work item only view / limited access users to visual studio online.

When you are granted Limited access to TFS, you are able to view and modify only those work items that you create. You can report a code defect or suggest a product feature. Also, if you used Microsoft Feedback to submit feedback responses, you can revise your submissions. In the past, this view has been referred to as Work Item Only View (WIOV). I think it would be good to have this in Visual Studio Online as well.

46 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Automatic Reconcile to workspace

Implement automatic reconciling of a successful gated check-in to workspace. We have problems because developers forget to do this and the file stay checked out for months! It would be nice to have this a bit cleaner.

46 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add reports for Business Value

We need to encourage teams to get the Product Owner to use the "Business Value" field.

1. Rename the current "Velocity" report to "Velocity for Effort"
                    2. Add a new report "Velocity for Business Value"

The 2 attachments show what I would like to see...

Adam
                    www.adamcogan.com

45 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Better collaboration support between customer and vendor via internet

TFS seems to assume that all parties that want to collaborate are on the same network.

We want our customers to be able to raise defects, feature requests, view progress reports etc

Issues we currently face with TFS 2010.

1. Our customers are not on our internal AD and will never be although we would be happy to set up accounts for them in alternate identity store.
                      2. There does not seem to be a lot of info about exposing TFS to the internet.

I would like to see better support for this scenario. The authentication story at the moment…

45 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • 45 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          7 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make a summary of Working day in TFS Online on WebSite

There should be a page in TFS Online where you can see what was done in a day. Right now you need to check source, then click History, and click for every CheckIn and see the details. I'd like to have a view that can be very long to scroll yet agregates all changes as well shows which changes are linked to wich WorkItems and how they change their attributes (like remaining work time).
                          Also I'd like to have a summery of who, how much checks-In in terms of tasks, lines of code, and number of files affected. This should…

44 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make it easier to update an existing shelveset

When you want to update the files in an existing shelveset, it is cumbersome to click unshelve, open the details of the existing shelveset and copy the title, and then return to the Shelve dialog and paste the title in.

One suggestion is to allow the user to choose from an existing list of shelvesets, when attempting to create a new shelveset.
                            Alternatively, VS could remember that the current pending changes already exist in a shelveset (either because the user has created the shevlset, or retrieved it) and prompt them to update or create new when attempting shelve them.

44 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add Sprint Goals to sprints in TFS Services

On TFS Services, allow a Sprint Goal to be added, and displayed on the kanban board. Currently, there is no way of clearly stating sprint objectives.

44 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add ability to manage tasks/member capacities globally

Sometimes tasks can affect more than one team project, or can be merely general and not bound to a specific place where to implement them. Thus it would be nice to be able to share tasks amongst team projects. For managing capacities of members, who work on different team projects concurrently, it would be nice to have at least an overview of the whole work assigned to a member.

44 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow trigger permissions on build definitions to be controlled seperately from the permission to update build definition

We use seperation of duty to manage quality of our production environments. This requires a different person to trigger a build than the person that created it originally.

We need the ability to set permissions specific to the trigger seperate from the build. If that permission (or an additional permission) allowed us to also control who can manually kick off the build, all the better.

44 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • TFS 2012 - Possibility to have more than one build controller in the same server

The MSDN documentation suggest to have one build controller in one machine for each team project collection, but if i have 100 different projects, i must have 100 buids controllers in 100 machines (Servers) ?

I suggest the possibility to have more than one build controller in the same machine/server.

Thanks

44 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Add custom fields to allow better Team Build management

Today, besides the team build name, we only have the quality of a team build execution to query and filter through team build results. A set of custom fields, in example add area and iteration to a team build execution, will allow a better team build management. in example to filter which builds where raised in a specific iteration, or area, etc.

43 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Custom Sort Order for TFS Fields

At the moment is very difficult to get a good sort order for any field that is not-numerical. Give me the ability, either when I create a field, or when I create a query, to set a custom sort order.

This comes up all the time. But here are two examples.

Status: I have New, Active, Closed. I'd like to have the sort order match the chronology of the workflow, but all I can get is alphabetical.

Stack Rank: We use stack rank to organize the most pressing work item, but don't apply it to all items in our backlog.…

42 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Bring back the TFS modal check-in dialog box in VS11

When checking in files from source control explorer in VS2010 and below, you always got a nice modal check-in dialog box that you could easily choose a subset of files to check in from. It would also show you a subset based on what folder you checked in. Now, check-in simply redirects to the new "pending changes" dialog box. There should be a way to still use the old check-in dialog box.

Note, this suggestion is different from the one that asks to bring back the old pending changes dialog box. I'm talking about bringing back the modal check-in dialog…

42 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 2 5 7 9 75 76
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base