Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Run CodedUITests after successful build and report failures at a step level

We would like to run CodedUITests after successful build and report failures at a step level.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Create build group for TFS builds to run multiple builds

New option to create a build group for TFS builds to queue multiple builds at once

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • VSIP: Make it possible to hide unsupported platform toolsets

We provide a number of platform toolsets. Each of them is connected with some compiler version. Each platform toolset is a static set of files placed in MSBuild derectory. All the toolsets are visible and selectable in Visual Studio from VC++ project property PlatformToolset. But it's possible that some compilers (binaries) are not installed. This results in build error when the users selects one of these "orphan" platform toolsets. The similar problem exists in VS11 when VS2010 is not installed and the user selects v100 platform toolset.
        The idea is to add some property (e.g. ShowToolset) that would be indicate…

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow the association of a CSS file with a control to enable intellisense

Much of our work is in a content management type of project. This means we have multiple controls making up the pages in the project. The CSS files are referenced, largely, in master pages and parent controls. It would be really handy to be able to right click in the source editor of the control and click a menu item that would allow you to associate it with a CSS file to get the intellisense for the styles. This would prevent having to temporarily putting a link tag on the page that you could end up forgetting about.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • permisos de registro

al generar nuevo proyecto/plantillas C#/ Windows / Aplicacion de Windows Forms, me sale "visual studio no tiene permisos para leer la informacion de plantilla del registro del sistema. esto suele deberse a problemas con los permisos del registro"

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • set the r-clicked attachment as selected in TFS workitem

Have multiple attachments to the defect
              Click on, say, the last attachment
              Move the mouse pointer on the first one and r-click on it (still with the last attachment being the selected one)
              Choose Save As Local Copy
              Actual Results: The selected file gets saved.
              Expected Results: The file on which the mouse was r-clicked needs to be selected and saved. See attachment for details.

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Let me reduce the scope of Analyze Solution for Code clones

On a large project the “Analyze Solution for code clones” can do a lot of work to tell me about code beyond my current area of focus.

Where a legacy project has large areas of technical debt, the analysis becomes time consuming & the results are overwhelming.

It would be nice to have a way to limit it to “only these project(s)” or “just files in these folders” or even “just these files”.

I’d also like a “Repeat last scan” checkbox. So I can quickly refresh the results of the scan.

Use case:
                We could just scan the “Java script”…

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Help system choose

Make user can change Help System in Visual Studio 2010 -
                  Visual Studio 2010 Help system or Visual Studio 2008 Help System (old Microsoft Document Explorer)

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Convert Dataset to Json by using directly like--> Dataset.Json

Hi Visual Studio Team,

This is Aravind G from Bangalore. I am using Visual Studio tools from last 4 years onwards.Thanks for providing Best tools for developing Web/Windows/Web sites and etc...

I have used Visual Studio 2008/2010/2012/2013 ultimate tools.In this I have one suggestion.

After getting Data from database using ADO.NET into dataset. From this we can convert Dataset to XML by using dataset.WriteXML. But is any way to convert directly From dataset to JSON like dataset.WriteJSON format.

If this feature is available please share the link where we can study and implement this.

If this feature is Not available…

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Performance check as part of compilation

If visual studio can do reverse engineering to the code and create unit test, why not as part of the compilation prompt the developer that the code will be bad from performance prospective, the earlier we detect that the sooner it will be fixed. you can use some AI or NN to do that in low CPU.

4 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow a Controller Level LoadTestPlugin for Global Parameters

Take this scenario;

You are running a large test which needs to spread over X amount of Agents.
                        You may need to switch between web servers in the future as other versions of the web applications may be hosted elsewhere

Wouldn't it be nice if a form could be initiated at the controller level to select which server to use (it could extend to all sorts of global parameter settings). Then this builds an app.settings file (or adds to it) which can be deployed with the rest of the items for the agents to use

Currently I have only managed…

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Verify deletion of files when publishing web project

Being a junior programmer, I do not have much experience with vs2010. I assumed publishing my first solo web project to my desktop would create a seperate folder. The 'Delete files prior to publish' option was selected from a previous project, and when I selected publish, my entire desktop was wiped clean. Folders gigabytes in size and completely unrelated to my project were deleted. Seems like a serious consequence for such an oversight. Perhaps the publishing wizard could verify file deletion, especially if it's gigabytes of data, on the desktop at that. What if I had of published it to…

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Provide integrated software licensing tools

Provide integrated software licensing tools with releases of Visual Studio in a manner similar to the current integration points between Dotfuscator, Crystal Reports and Installshield Limited Edition. Software licensing by modules, features, assemblies etc. and licensing registration and activation are a core part of software development practices today. Therefore, Visual Studio should offer some type of integrated software licensing that provide features similar to the Microsoft Office and Windows software registration and licensing mechanisms.

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Enable TFS compare option for a project file in Solution explorer

In Visual Studio solution explorer it is possible to compare a checked out with its checked in version. Unfortunately this option is not available for a project file.
                              The project file comparison, in fact, is implemented, e.g. when you need to resolve merging issue.

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add a Date picker on the toolbox that can easily be validated just like textboxes and other controls.

A date picker that can be put inside a GridView editing template :D

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Provide configurable thresholds/limits for Code Metrics

Provide configurable threshold limits for Code Metrics that can be used to set violation severity levels in a manner similar to the violation severity levels available in FxCop. Currently, using the Code Metrics tool built into Visual Studio as well as the Code Metrics Power Tool does not provide an easy method to configure threshold limits for throwing violations. Ideally, the Red, Yellow and Green status could also be configured as Error, Warning, Information etc. instead of simply using colors to indicate status level.

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Move the "Run Code Analysis on Solution" option underneath Rebuild and Clean solution

The VS 11 Beta has placed the "Run Code Analysis on Solution" option in the Build menu where "Rebuild Solution" was previously. I can't be the only one who keeps choosing it instead of Rebuild Solution. Please move it beneath so that it is consistent with previous versions of VS.

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Allow the Quick Find to be come undocked and floatable

Please allow the Quick Find to open in an undockable mode (like the find in files). Sometimes I'm searching for various texts and I like to have the find open, instead I have to open it again on every new page.

Thanks.

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • 4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add Codelens option to DEBUG unit tests

I frequently use CodeLens to execute tests affecting a method, however I have noticed that I only have options to "Run" or "Run All", there's no "Debug" - to do this I have to go to at least one of the tests, then choose "Debug Test" manually. It'd be awesome to have this as part of the CodeLens miniwindow.

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 2 6 8 10 26 27
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base