Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include whole folder of source files In Visual Studio

Many of our embedded c++ projects are compiled for and debugged on the target platform and win32 (simulation). This requires us to use two different IDEs, in this case Visual Studio and a vendor customized eclipse.
    The eclipse based IDE uses a black list approach to source files, meaning that all files will be compiled, unless they are excluded.
    We would also like this behavior in VS, because else developers has to manually add them in VS as an extra step, when they are using the other IDE.

We have found one almost working solution:
    we edit the .vcxproj files…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Open project files in text editor

When we need to edit project files in text editor we have to open notepad, add a context menu sibling to "Open Folder in File Explorer" and call it "Open File in As Text"

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add shared projects reference to other shared projects

It would be very convenient to add inside shared projects reference to other shared projects, in that way you can group shared project and add only one reference instead group of shared project references.

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi
          Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

• Add support for Gradle-based solutions

Sometimes using MSBuild Projects is very painful (especially with cross-platform projects). That's why my idea is to support Gradle projects natively by Visual Studio. Despite Gradle having tasks to generate MSBuild projects, loading them is very, very painful.

At this moment, I think that all of you will agree, Visual Studio is THE BEST IDE available. That's why I don't want to abandon it. Gradle support could help with that.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi

• TFS - Make capacity queryable and also allow inheritance of capacity.

Please allow to query the capacity of team members and the whole team using regular TFS queries.

In addition, if I a have a work board parent that displays the backlog for 3 child teams all at once, I would like the capacity of the members of those teams to be inherited - currently I need to manually fill their capacity for the parent team even though the capacity has already been configured for each member in the child teams.

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Unification of project types

tl:dr; Keep the project file simple and clean. One project file to rule them all.

One of the most annoying things about the project system is having different project types within the same language. So currently, I look after projects that span: csproj, xproj, sfproj, ccproj etc.

In my mind the project file, should easily be able to be a cross language/cross project type item - since the required elements are typically bought in via targets.

I've attached what a sample project file may look like. Please combine them all (especially looking at you Azure!) and so that they work…

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Provide a "rename project/solution".

I constantly seem to come up with a better name after I have begun a project. It takes me many steps to do a rename.

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Add a solution of solutions for very large codebases

I have recently worked on projects which are comprised of up to 15 different Visual Studio solutions which can lead to having 15 instances of VS open at the same time! This gets extremely confusing. However, as each solution is a black box to the others the structure makes sense, but once built they combine to form one deployable application platform.

A solution to this could be a "super solution" or "ecosystem" which would be a solution for the solutions. The root of Solution Explorer would be the "Ecosystem" with child solutions. Unlike projects the child solutions should *not* be…

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

• Show new Goto popup (Ctrl + G) also when no file is open.

Popup is not shown at the moment when no file is open.

I would like to use it as a starting point for finding everything when i open my solution. That´s not possible. At first i have to open any file and then i am able to jump to the class i want.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • save all project's property sheets as file and allow its use as default for new projects

in a VS project its possible to Import property sheets, which is great. But its not possible to save all currently used property sheets to a file, which then could be imported as "Default Properties" in a new created project.
                      So for example I want the "intermediate directory" Setting always be somethere in the TEMP folder, so I have to chane this setting each time I create a new project. It would be easier to load a Default property Setting on creation of a new project

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Add "Open folder" type project to a solution

I really like the new "Open folder" capability that is in the VS 15 preview. Please make that a project type that can be added to a solution. We have a project that consists of a couple of backend WebApi services, but the front end is a static web site that uses Gulp as a build system. The ability to add a project that is based on the "Open Folder" capability in VS 15 would make that solution much easier to work with. Today, we need to make it a bare-bones MVC project and ignore the build output.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

• Add Shared Project reference to WCF Service Library.

Add Shared Project reference to WCF Service Library.
                          I see no reason why it is not possible to reference a Shared Project from a WCF Service Library.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make new project format and tooling available for ALL projects

I was extremely disappointed to find VS 2017 did not support the new project format for anything besides .NET Core. This is unacceptable. We need it to be supported for ALL project types (WinForms, WPF, CommandLine, etc).

We also want the GUI that shows a combined references/NuGet package list. It's ridiculous that all the improvements being made to Visual Studio don't apply to the project types used in the vast majority of development.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Support for custom build error parsing when using VS2017 "Open folder" tasks (like "problemMatcher" in visual studio code)

The new "Open folder" functionality in Visual Studio 2017 is great. But i'm missing the ability to specify a custom build error parser for a task, to support errors/warnings from various compilers/linkers.
                              Visual Studio Code has the "problemMatcher" concept. I would like something like that.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Show output window when Get Latest Version (Recursive)

Provide functionality that is similar to the option "Show Output window when build starts".
                                When user right-clicks solution in Solution Explorer and chooses "Get Latest Version (Recursive)":
                                Switch to the Output window,
                                Show output from: Source Control - Team Foundation
                                clear contents first, then show results of the 'get'.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Alphabetize/Sort Solution File Contents To Reduce Merge Conflicts

Solution Files (SLN) Should Be Sorted/Alphabetized to reduce 3-way merge conflicts. This was requested here https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/4130464-organize-project-xml-files-to-reduce-3-way-merge-c for Project files; but should be extended to Solution Files as well.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Support custom events for clean. Need the ability to clean up my custom build artifacts

In managed code projects => Project Properties => Builds Events:
                                    I'm able to add custom Pre-Build and Post-Build. These commands are called only during project build. I need the ability to clean my custom artifacts during clean build.
                                    For example, if I've 'tlbexp $(TargetPath)' as a Post-build event, the clean should delete it. Currently there is no way doing it.

I also find it ignorant how you can close issues because you see them as "too old". Do you think the issues go away if you don't act on them?

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • YAML / JSON project files

It'd be nice if VS could open (simple) projects from yaml files.. then generators no longer have to worry about the complex xml files currently in use.
                                      It'd also be much better when checking project files into vcs.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • remove folders that do not match identified project configuration outputs when cleaning

If I use the configuration defaults and build as Debug/Any CPU, then change the output folder from "bin\Debug" to "bin\DebugStuff", I would expect VS/MSB to remove the "bin\Debug" folder but it doesn't.

This leads to odd reference issues later because the old assembly could have been referenced by a project or tool. It would be better if invalid output folders were just removed.

This is especially vexing with netcore/standard and multi targeting, where project referencing does not work and you have to choose from a specific bin folder.

https://github.com/dotnet/sdk/issues/266

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • The Configuration Manager should be revisited

The "Configuration Manager" window should be redesigned. It was OK few years ago when we had just "Debug" and "Release" and only 2 "CPU architecture". But since we now have a bunch of targets and CPU architecture and we need to check all permutations of the 2 drop boxes to make sure everything is ok... it's very painful.

Please find a way to improve the performance of this window and to better visualise which project is compiled in which configuration / platform. Maybe a kind of big matrix would be useful there...

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Anthony Cangialosi

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base