Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2,610 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      94 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I wanted to update the status to make sure you know that we hear you. This isn’t straightforward to deliver for obvious reasons: Visual Studio installs a disparate variety of tools, runtimes and SDKs, many of which come from third parties or other parts of Microsoft. We recognize that developers would love to see something lighter and while we have nothing new to announce at this stage, we are spending a lot of time thinking about how we can improve Visual Studio installation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Make the installation of Visual Studio light-weight and fast

What?
      Installing Visual Studio takes too long

Why?
      There's a lot of stuff that the VS installer installs that I probably never is going to use.

Proposal:
      Make modules and packages install when needed. The Office-install has had this option for ages, where you can deceide whether you want to install a feature a) now, b) when needed, or c) never. That way the basic install will probably be a lot faster and it will take up less space on our drives (how many terabytes of never-used-features do you think VS is accumulating worldwide?).

I belive you already have the…

1,897 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        93 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Many of you have already seen it, but we’ve released the first public preview of this work:
        https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/04/01/faster-leaner-visual-studio-installer/

In Visual Studio 2015, the minimum installation size is 6GB. In the preview of Visual Studio vNext, the minimum installation size is 322MB. We’re seeing installation times in averaging three minutes or less for the core editor experience, based on our telemetry.

Visual Studio is a complex product with many options and features, so you shouldn’t expect the overall payload to magically evaporate, but the work we’ve done here should enable you to just install the components you need and to return back to the installer to add or update your environment without fear.

Expect to see updates on a regular basis as we crank up the engine; we plan to add additional features both to the installer client and to the tool bundles that it installs.

We really do covet your…

• Adopt a simple and obvious versioning scheme for the IDE

Currently, we have "Visual Studio 2015", "Visual Studio 2015 Update 2", "Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 2" (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt695655.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396)

Add to that the confusion spread by Visual Studio 2015/Visual Studio 14.

Rather than this dual versioning and "update" language and it's nested counterpart "update for an update", it would be much simpler to adopt, for example, major.minor.patch.

* Visual Studio 2015/14 => 14.0.0
        * Visual Studio 2015/14 Update 2 => 14.2.0
        * "Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015/14 Update 2" => 14.2.1

If you *really* want to keep the "year" moniker for marketing purposes, then perhaps embrace…

650 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          8 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the great suggestion. You’re right – the versioning has proven a little challenging in this release. A few of us are meeting next week to see what is viable for the upcoming next release of Visual Studio and I’ll update the suggestion accordingly. No promises – there are lots of subtle knock-on effects to changes like this, but we are very sympathetic to the problem.

Warm wishes,

• Allow users to install entirely to another hard drive

Allow a user to install *all* of Visual Studio to a drive other than the system drive. I have a very small SSD and find it infuriating that Visual Studio can only install a third to my mechanical drive and must install 4GB to my system drive.

423 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            21 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We expect to make significant progress on this front in the upcoming release. There are some components which must be installed to the system drive for various reasons – for example, Windows hotfixes and .NET Framework releases. But we think we will be able to do a better job of honoring the chosen location in the next release.

To give some transparency into the design process, one interesting wrinkle to this problem is third-party components that we install. If you choose to install Visual Studio to (say) D:\VS, where should we install something like Git for Windows or the Android SDK (if you select those components)? Should we install them into a subdirectory of D:\VS, even though other apps may use them? And should we attempt to secure the directory? C:\Program Files is only writeable by admin users, which presents a security boundary to rogue apps. Tough choices…

Thanks,…

• Reduce amount of programs added to Programs and Features

It has always bugged me that when installing Visual Studio there are 40+ items added to the Programs and Features list in Windows.

While I understand that some are necessarily standalone programs (like all the different runtimes), there are many Visual Studio components added that are _only_ there for Visual Studio.

Examples include Service Packs, “Macro Tools”, “Prequisites” and especially all the language pack related items.

Looking at other products, like Office, you should be perfectly fine by combining everything into a single entry and configure all the compontents within a setup dialog.

This also applies to other components (which…

69 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable (more than VS 2015)

Let the user choose whether to install or not features such a Visual Basic or C#, and for which platform to develop. Although Visual Studio 2015 brought a good improvement in the setup process choices (hence the "Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable" idea, voted 1715 times, recently marked as completed) there is still a lot of room to do better. The Visual Studio 6 granularity was just perfect, why now there are so few choices? Why do users need to install the full .NET SDK if they are not going to do any .NET development? Why tools for…

31 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                5 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Stop installing a bunch of SQL server stuff

I don't do any SQL development. I didn't even check anything web development related, so we can't blame this on ASP.NET --- I did C++ and Windows 10 SDK only. And yet I get this?

29 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow installation of Visual Studio from the Windows 10 Store app

Project Centennial has created a path for classic Windows desktop apps to move to the Windows Store. I would really like to have as many store apps as possible on my PC to avoid blasting files and registry entries all over the place. The new VS Installer is much improved, but this would help keep PC's pristine.

23 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • A version of VS build tools which require no installation

Allow users to put a small part of VS inside version control and then build their product on a new machine without installing VS by (1) version-control checkout and (2) running build.
                    It will allow having all users in the org use the exact same version, solving different-version-installed problems. It will also be compatible with how MS work internally (Razzle, etc).

22 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Seriously, reconsider torrents.

The ISO is 7.1GB. Running the /layout command will download.. well, who knows how many GB (I'm up to 9.86GB after THREE DAYS of downloading via Microsoft's servers, and it's still not complete). I've been downloading the ISO for the last 30 minutes and the speeds have not gone over 120KB/sec - it stays around 30-45KB/sec the majority of the time. No, it's not my end. I can download a slackware torrent right this very minute and reach speeds nearing 3MB/sec - I know because I did it about 5 minutes ago. The issue is that you're slow, and you're…

13 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • VS2015 Community should have a Minimal C/C++ option

VS2015 Community should have a Minimal C/C++ option that just installs the basic IDE, compiler, git/github and nuget for grabbing libraries and includes.

I don't want or need the azure framework or all the other stuff.

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks so much for your feedback. You’ll be pleased to know that we’re working on creating a much more lightweight installation option, as described here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/04/01/faster-leaner-visual-studio-installer/

As part of this work, we’re creating C++ workloads tuned for different needs, with the first one included in VS “15” Preview.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Add /locale option to the [Installer].exe /Layout command line

I\m trying currently to download the Visual Studio 2013 for Web with Update 3 using the /Layout option to keep the installation files for future needs, but it seems that the installer is acquiring setup files for all the locales which seems a bit weird since I downloaded the en-us installer and that's making the download time and cost bigger.

The ISO file has also a huge download size (4.4GB) which also seems weird since this is a subset edition of the full Visual Studio product.

Please add the locale switch to the Layout option for the installer, or otherwise,…

10 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • MSSCCI Provider should run with VS2015 - without need to install VS2013 etc.

actually we have to install Vs2013 and tools like TFS Powertools 2013 in addition to VS2015 to get MSSCCI Provider installed.
                            I would like to see a Installation of VS2015 and TFS Powertools 2015 and an MSSCCI Provider 2015 and have the TFS stuff running.

9 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Remove the need to write to the runonce registry setting when installing

Some organizations have anti-virus rules that dis-allows writing to the runonce registry setting. This inhibits the installation of VS, RM Client or even TFS at time.
                              It may be a nice to have the installer restart after a possible reboot, but getting access denied errors should not stop the installation.

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, Niel. It’s a good one, and we’ve added it to the backlog. We do have tasks that require a reboot and then post-installation steps (for example, adding an emulator VM to a machine without Hyper-V enabled), but we should be able to enable a manual setup resume after a reboot for those environments where this can’t be automatically set.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Would be great that the isolated shell setup follow each update releases

The VS2013 isolated shell setup was under 200 MB and that was just perfect. But then come updates. That setup never follows those updates like other editions. The last update 5 require 6 GB and there is no way to target only the isolated shell.

It would be really appreciate in the future to:
                                - have a new setup of the isolated shell with every update release
                                - or have update setup to target only the shell without installing extra components.

9 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow the package cache to be moved to shared location with team members

VS Setup has very heavy footprint on the hard drive. Especially because of the package cache that keep setup locally.

In virtualized environment, when several developers are using several VM with dev tools, this leads to a huge amount of disk space waste.

It would be nice in the cache location could be selected, and put on a network share, reachable by all team members.

8 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback: we agree that this is an opportunity to reduce the installation footprint for VS. We are considering some options here, including turning the package cache off by default in the next release of Visual Studio and/or allowing you to set the install location.

• creating a single multilingual clickonce bootstrapper(containing .Net 4.5.1 frwrk) rather than having different installers for each language

I am setting .Net Framework 4.5.1 as a pre-requisite while publishing vsto add-in. Add-in is Published successfully.
                                    When I launch the bootstrapper in Japanes OS, it opens the .Net framework dialog box to install but displays the EULA in English language. It should be in Japanese depending on the OS.

I can create multiple installers for each language by setting Publish language="<select language">. but I cannot create single installer that supports this.

7 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Do not block visual studio during update; allow to repair failed updates; warn about long running updates

I have seen it very often when a Visual Studio update is available - you start the update and it runs for a couple of hours.

During that time the IDE is blocked so you can't work on your PC any more. Since I cannot afford to be unproductive for such a long time, I run updates like this in the evening.

What is kind of annoying is that the update package does not warn you before you run it that it will take a long time and will block the IDE.

Also, I noticed on my notebook that several…

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Addressing your specific suggestions:
                                        1. This is a great suggestion. We are currently investigating how we can build this. We think we won’t be able to make this fit RTW for Dev “15”, but it is on our backlog for Update 1.
                                        2. In Dev “15” we are giving you a lot more information regarding the progress of your download. We tell you how much you have downloaded, how much you have left and an estimated time remaining. For install we give you a progress of how much % we have installed. It’s really difficult to give you accurate estimate of how long something will take to install but we are always looking for better ways of giving you visibility and advance warning.
                                        3. In Dev “15” we have completely revamped the installation experience. You will be able to see installations that are partial (i.e. didn’t complete successfully all the…

• Update /Layout switch (offline install) to only download necessary or specified language packages

Using the web installer for Visual Studio updates is great, if you're the only person who will be downloading the updates. In a large organisation, one person will generally download the updates using the /Layout switch, so that all users can install them without having to re-download the necessary bits.

Unfortunately this is still lacking, because /Layout pulls down every supported language in the history of Earth, regardless of what language(s) are being used in that organisation. This wastes time and bandwidth.

Please could you make one or all of the following changes to alleviate this:

* Add a "/LayoutEN"…

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting idea – thanks. We agree that there is room for increased flexibility with the /layout option.

Could you tell us a little about how you’re using /layout? For enterprise deployment? Is the size of the languages a significant obstacle, compared to other things that are pulled down?

• Ability to create custom workloads for VS15 installer

It would be nice if a user could create a custom workload that they can load into the VS15 installer. This would allow users to help others install the necessary components for development easily, rather than being told to install X, Y and Z, a user could be given a customised workload that will have X, Y and Z already selected for the user.

I read through some blogs related to workloads and searched uservoice but could not find any mention of custom workloads being planned, close if this is a dupe :)

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base