Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. team foundation 2015 build logs in local time

Current TFS Build Info (start, stop) is in local time. As it should be. However build logs are in UTC time which is very frustrating. These should also be in local time, please!
    The number of users which need this must be small and if needed some config option could be given.

See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/93ea5f77-6687-4ba4-8775-00e440801cac/tfs-2015-update-1-build-time-displays?forum=tfsbuild

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Highlight the last Stack Frame accessed in the dropdown menu

The Stack Frame dropdown menu (which appears when debugging c++ applications) should have a different coloration (or at least some indication) on the current menu item that is being viewed.

It is often the case that, when trying to diagnose the cause of a break (be it a a manual or forced break point) it becomes necessary to jump between different stack frames to see what the program was doing at different levels of function calls. When the stack becomes deep it can be cumbersome to find the line in the dropdown menu associated with the current stack frame, which…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Keep Warnings and Timing Statistics during Incremental Build

Our continuous integration server builds a large project on each checkin and patch submission, usually as an incremental build as only one or two files have changed.

Because most files aren't rebuilt, their warnings are not reflected in the warning statistics, and the time it took to compile them is not tallied either.

It would be great if there was a database that would be updated with the warnings when a file is recompiled, and used to dump the warnings from the last run when a compiler invocation is unnecessary; the same applies to timing (a simple informational line "up-to-date…

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Non-modal visualizers

The visualizers that ship with VS should be non-modal and able to be docked to the side of the screen during a debug session.

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Show the type from VisualStudio debugger Datatip

Like this case here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39598812/how-do-you-tell-type-from-visualstudio-debuggers-datatip

The default VS debugger Datatip will show the value of the variables, but not show the type of it in default, how about adding the type column/cell in the datatip tool in debugging?

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Add 'Start without Debugging' to Right-Click Project Menu

Sometimes I need to launch a couple of my other projects first before my default startup project. However, if I use the right-click the project in Solution Explorer and go to Debug -> Start new Instance it launches the VS Debugger, so I have to detach from the process and then launch the next part before I can finally just use F5 or Ctrl+F5 to launch my main project with or without debugging.

It'd be great of the context menu for the project's Debug menu had a 'Start without Debugging' option as well to just launch the project process without…

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make Visual Studio 2017 Diagnostic Tools event window autofit

Like this case here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45178960/make-visual-studio-2017-diagnostic-tools-event-window-autofit

We could change the Event column size, but if you re-debug the app again, it changed the size to the default again. It was not convenient for customers to visit the event information.

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Save multiple startup projects for debugging

In previous versions of Visual Studio when you switched between starting multiple projects and starting a single project while debugging, the projects selected for "multiple projects" would be saved, making it easier to switch back and forth. Now I need to select all of the projects that I want to start each time I switch back to Multiple projects.

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Add the ability to choose which columns are displayed in the watch windows

I have never referred to the Type column. In fact, if I see it I'll always expand the Value column as far to the right as possible, just to 'hide' the Type column. It would be useful if the context menu allowed you to quickly remove the column.

This would apply to the Autos and Locals windows too. And obviously it wouldn't make sense to hide the Name and Value columns, but extra columns could later be added.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Show GC, JIT and other runtime code in the stack window

Currently, the stack trace window hides these stack frames. So if the thread is doign GC work, or is suspended due to GC or is currently jitting the programmer cannot find out.

Runtime frames should be shown, at least if "show external code" is on.

As a nasty example of this, when you call `Array.Sort(new int[10000000])` this pauses for a few seconds in native runtime code. There is a native sort function for primitive arrays. This is very hard to understand if the debugger hides this.

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Implement breakpoints for javascript/typescript modules loaded with SystemJS as for RequireJS

Enable breakpoints for JavaScript solutions that use jspm/SystemJS as currently works for RequireJS. It is possible to swap the two but this can creates a fair amount of extra work in configuration changes.

This is a particular pain point when working with frameworks that depend on jspm/SystemJS such as Aurelia.

5 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add a visualizer for arrays

In VS there is a quite nice visualizer for DataSet:s. I would like to have something similar for arrays as well. Basically a datagrid showing all properties for each element. If I for instance have an array of points I want to see the properties (x and y) as columns and a row for each element. This would make it a lot easier to investigate arrays when debugging.

5 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Provide more meaningful messages than "Unable to attach to the process. Operation not supported. Unknown error: 0x80004005."

Provide more meaningful messages than "Unable to attach to the process. Operation not supported. Unknown error: 0x80004005."

5 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Support data breakpoints when debugging mixed managed/unmanaged code. At least for data that isn't in the .NET heap.

I have an unmanaged app that loads and executes managed code. I really want to be able to set data breakpoints in my unmanaged. app.

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • evaluate the "area path" as full path in TFS for Charting, rather than just the last subpath

like the simple charting available for queries in TFS's web view. So I created several queries and a diagramms.
                                In my project(s) we have an area path structure like this:

It's best explained with pictures:
                                |
                                + feature a
                                | |- area X
                                | |- area Y
                                + feature b
                                | |- area X
                                | |- area Y

and I want a diagramm like
                                | x
                                | x x
                                | x x x x
                                +-------------------
                                | | | |
                                | | | \ feat b, area Y
                                | | \ feat b, area X
                                | \ feat a, area Y …

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add an "Ingestion time" metric that will reflect the time it takes for a blob to get ingested.

As part of our KPIs monthly reviews we are required to present the latency it takes for our data to land in Kusto. For that we would like to have an "ingestion time" Geneva metric which can also be helpful for Kusto's own supportability. It will measure the time it takes for a blob to get ingested. You can check the blob's creation time (we use the Kusto API) or the time the relevant message was published to the queue in order to start measuring the latency until the blob is ingested.

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Continue but temporarily ignore active breakpoints (as in chrome tools)

In chrome debugging tools when halted on a javascript breakpoint you can click the 'resume script execution' button which then continues until the script finishes or until it hits another breakpoint (just like VS debugger behaviour).

If, rather than clicking the button you press and hold it, an option appears which if clicked, continues execution but temporarily ignores any further breakpoints even though the breakpoints are still active.

Maybe VS already has this continue-but-temporarily-ignore behaviour but I haven't found it. If not, I think this would be a great addition to Visual Studio. At the moment if I'm halted on…

5 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • hi

Hi I have a new suggestion for everyone. Now We can one debug in VS in runtime. why not more debug in visual studio in same time ? İt can possible ?I think this chapter can transitable.
                                      For example; I'm working in City.cs project and Country.cs project. I'm debugging in City.cs and I want to debug in Country project at the same time.Just one solutions. Of course you can tell open 2 VS . But if I open 2 VS , more spend of memory .

5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Export Diagnostic sessions including Memory profiling

My team VPN's to a single machine to run diagnostics as that is where the extra hardware is. We need the ability to export our memory snapshots so we can all share/ run analysis when not connected to the remote machine.

5 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Support of parsing DWARF

Support of parsing DWARF information directly, rather than using DWARF-to-PDB scripts. Very helpful when debugging binaries produced with any kinds of MinGW compilers

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base