Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Replace Interactive Window with LINQPad features

I used for a while Interactive Window but it is not very comfortable. LINQPad is a great example of REPL tool and is even more. It supports multiple languages, debugging, great visualization of query results and, NuGet packages and many more. To read and write code in LINQPad ist definitely more comfortable like in Interactive Window. It will great to have this inside of Visual Studio and I think it will be good replacement for Interactive Window.

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Add ASPX MVC View in AspNet5

aspx engine is better than razor engine for minor enterprises

webform is old and we just drop it,but aspx engine is very important.

1.The simple design the best design for template engine,aspx engine just use <%%> and <%=%>.

2.What You See Is What You Get is more important for template engine.

3.Code separation is the kernel for template engine.Razor allow csharp programer to modify the template is not good.

why?for example.I'm a Csharp programer,and I don't want to write template so I just tell the html5 programer to write it.

Then,I have to select aspx engine.because he only know about…

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Drag and Drop horizontal and vertical screen position

Hi,

Why isnt it possible to drag and drop the screen code horizontally under two screens divided like my screenshot in attach file?

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Sort editor tabs by filename or by least recent use

It would be useful if tabs of open files in the editor could be (automatically) sorted by their filename. Another option would be to arrange them by their last use. In this case the last "used" file would be moved to the leftmost position.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Improve the screenshot mechanism of Visual Studio's "Help/Send Feedback/Report a Problem" dialogue

I find that the most frequent case of problem to be reported by the dialogue is not sufficiently complicated to require a recording of some sequence of steps, but yet is sufficiently complicated to require the first or both of the following, currently unavailable features:

1) Take a single screenshot on command, so that the user may arrange the screen to provide maximal information on-topic and minimal irrelevant information before shooting.

Currently: The screenshot is taken on click on the "Report a Problem..." menu entry. Issues:
                - the mouse cursor cannot be used to display a mouseover tooltip partial to…

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Save opened files on Crash

Normally when I have a solution open, and I close Visual Studio normally, the next time I open up Visual Studio, the files I had open before are opened again.

However, for some reason, my Visual Studio tends to crash frequently (I expect it is probably the extensions). Ignoring the crashing issue itself, when Visual Studio recovers and reopens, and I open my solution again, it does not recall any of the files I had open - instead, it still remembers the previous state.

i.e., let's call the set of files I have open right now SS. I close VS…

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • integrate vagrant to the task runner.

Vagrant is an increasingly common tool used by developers to spin up VMs for testing deployments and so on. It would be great if the various vagrant actions could be run from the task runner in a manner similar to the way Grunt/Gulp tasks are run. Failing that perhaps there is some other way to make the vagrant commands (up, halt, destroy, etc.) runnable from the menu if the current solution has a Vagrantfile defined within it.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Open visual studio prompts in the same monitor visual studio is running from.

I run a multi-monitor setup with 3 monitors. Very frequently I keep Visual Studio in the left-most monitor. Now let's say I go to Team Explorer and want to undo changes/check-out on a file, but I've made changes to it. I get a prompt that says the usual "you've made changes to this file. Are you sure you want to undo those changes?" - caveat is that it opens in my middle (primary) monitor, not the leftmost monitor holding my Visual Studio window.

It's very jarring and aggravated further by the fact that I'm running Parallels on a Mac, with…

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • give options to make it easier to close open tabs with mouse

This is in regards to the "X" you can click to close a code window in VS 2013. The standard setup for the tab at the top of the code window is:

filename | pin icon | X

On the one hand, I appreciate the convention of this setup, but on the other, I find this irksome when I have multiple code windows open and I want to close them by clicking on the X. What happens is that because filenames do not have the same character length, the tabs at the top do not have the same length, and…

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Display User IDentity again (like you did in 2013)

Visual Studio used to reveal the user Identity it was running under.Now in 2015 it only displays MSDN Live acct logged in. This makes my job a nightmare, because I have two different accounts with differing levels of access within my TFS admin role at this company. I can be logged into either account at any given time. This was something that our security team established as a policy. I have a hard time now in 2015 distinguishing what each of my VS instances are running as. It might also be nice if I could keep separate themes per login.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Trim the Entity Framework (edmx) designer window height when tables are changed or added

With models that are modified frequently or repeatedly the designer's usable height keeps growing because the newly added table only adds to the last known designer window height. It is annoying because added tables show up way below and one needs to scroll out very far at times just to see the entire set of model tables. The issue is magnified when having to drag the just-added tables back up to the rest of the model at the top. This is just terrible UX.

If you are going to black box to height determination (it appears to happen in VS…

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Show part of the path for solutions on the start page

When working in different branches it can be difficult to know what solution to open since they all have the same name. Today you have to hover over them to see the path to determine what to open.
                              It would be nice if there are two solutions with the same name also show the part of the path that differ.
                              Example:
                              c:\MyProjects\Customer1\Code\trunk\App\MyApp.csproj
                              c:\MyProjects\Customer1\Code\devBranch\App\MyApp.csproj

Would show:
                              MyApp (trunk)
                              MyApp (devBranch)

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Change the appearance of Resource files for "Dark" color theme

I like using the dark color theme so the colors in the text editor stand out more easily. I also happen to be building a multi-language application, using resource files for the different languages.
                                Unfortunately, the spreadsheet section of the language resource file (the VAST majority of the screen) stays white with black text. This means that every time I have to go add a translation or change a wording, I switch from a 95% black screen to a 85% white screen, which--depending on how mentally prepared I am--can be physically painful.
                                I think it would be fantastic to change…

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Code Highlight and\Or List Member Access that belong to a particular Import\Using Namespace

Code complexity, legacy or not, is a very common issue in todays development world.

Adding IDE features/efficiencies will allow for better understanding of current code and its complexity level.

The idea is to add a feature in the IDE that would allow a developer to highlight a namespace (e.g. System.Collections.ObjectModel) and the IDE will highlight and/or list box results the code that access members in that namespace.

- The List Box Results could be used for reporting and code reviews
                                  - The Highlighting makes it easier to see which code access the ns.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Visual Studio 2013: Bring back floating quick find

It's really annoying that this feature is gone - the way it has to be used now slows me down on most searches since I always have to move the cursor to the top right first

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Enable Intellisense to print clearer function information

Working with the standard library in C++, intellisense has had a huge positive impact on my ability to work with and understand functions and classes from other libraries. However, the verbosity of highly templated code can become completely unreadable in intellisense.

A clear and simple solution is giving users the ability to step up and down the number of levels of templates that intellisense will print.

Lowering the verbosity of function information with some kind of step up and step down key during the function tooltip would be invaluable to programmers all over.

An example of its function and usefulness…

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Enable to CUSTOMIZE automatic brace completion : to keep it for braces, but not for /**/ comments.

The automatic brace completion for () and {} is great, it speeds up typing! However, the multiline comments /* */ are often used to silence a part of the code, thus the autoformating is very annoying in this case.

This is why customization of what is autoformatted and what is not would be a great (and necessary) add.

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Collapsible if statements for all languages

Collapsible if statements in C# -this is great in JavaScript. (yes, I know ideally they should be split into separate methods when they get too big, but when taking over 10 years of other peoples code there's not always the luxury of rewrites - code doesn't really warrant it either).

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base