Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Workflow Status Designer/Visualizer on the Web

The idea is to show the status of workflow graphically. Typically we can do it by re-hosting the designer in a Rich Client, but the web equivalent is rather painful. Need a new HTML5 implementation. I have been planning on starting an open source version for a LONG time now, need the right kick in the pants to get down in. In my lob app I am using a highly customized version that spits out ImageMaps (sooooo web 1.0)...

Once the visualizer is up, extend it to do small designer functionalities. Something akin to Nintex's workflow designer for Sharepoint. Something…

400 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      7 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support C# expressions in Rehosted Designer

as it works with Visual Studio already

253 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Provide intellisense in rehosted designer scenario

Intellisense should work automatically against C# and VB expressions but also allow hooks for other expression languages.

228 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Expose a Workflow Service through REST/JSON endpoints

It'd be great if we could call Workflow Services directly from an AJAX application through REST/JSON endpoints. The current inability to define a contract first when defining a Workflow Services prevents us annotating the contract with the [WebGet] attribute which would be the obvious way to enable both a SOAP and REST endpoint on the same service.

137 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            9 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • support c# expressions in the rehosted WF designer

Support c# expressions in the re-hosted WF designer (.Net 4.5).

VS2012 supports C# expressions with .Net 4.5. But they can't be edited in a re-hosted WF designer. See also http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/jj205428(v=vs.110).aspx.

124 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make the WF Expression Editor remember size and position

Make the Expression Editor remember size and position so I don't have to resize the window every time again when I enter a large expression. Or make at least default size bigger.

41 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Generate dynamic upgrade maps for persisted workflow instances via the designer

Currently, we can only dynamically upgrade persisted workflow via code. This is because in WF 4.5 there is no designer support for the workflow definition update phase (designated as phase number 2 on this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh314052.aspx). Considering one of the key selling points of the framework is the workflow designer, it is surprising that no support exists for dynamic updates.

21 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Provide Unit Testing for WF

Update the old CodePlex Microsoft.Activities.UnitTesting and build it into the framework with associated VS tooling.

Sadly it looks like WF is now abandoned.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make workflow XAML files open source as part of reference source

Currently, the source code for the workflow assemblies has been open sourced under the MIT license at https://github.com/microsoft/referencesource, but the XAML files and resource files are not included in that distribution. It would be great if you could release the entire package as part of the referencesource repository so that others can fork and improve the workflow framework.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Dynamic Update

Why is it so difficult to update the definition of a Workflow? It's a very basic functionality of having to add, remove or modify an activity in design mode, but it has become impossible for me to upgrade because after generated map, running the "Load" always gives an error whose supporting documentation it is not help to solve the problem.

I feel that the developers are very abandoned this issue. The technology works well, but the issue of dynamic update is very poor.

For example, I get errors style:

"State machine does not support Dynamic Update, if the trigger of…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Combine all workflow activities into a universal workflow library without the need for Workflow Manager

Add the Workflow activities that are under Microsoft.Activities and its child namespaces (Microsoft.Activities.Expressions, Microsoft.Activities.Hosting, Microsoft.Activities.Messaging, Microsoft.Activities.Client, Microsoft.Activities.Client.Security) into the collection of activities that are available under the WF designer toolbox in VS2015 and allow them to work without the need to use Workflow Manager

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base