Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Auto-Reload to Visual Studio when adding C# scripts to the project from Unity

There is an option in Visual Studio to auto reload when changing a file as long as there are no unsaved changes, but there is no option to auto reload when adding files to a project.

Everytime adding a new script inside of Unity we get a prompt in Visual Studio to Reload/Reload All. It would be really nice to have UnityVS handle this since it happens a ton of times during the development of a project and it is something it really should be doing anyway.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      7 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add support for Unity Testing Tools

Modify the solution generator to put files found in Editor -> Tests folder hierarchies in a separate project. This way the Visual Studio test explorer should pick up the Unit tests created for Unity Testing Tools (provided the NUnit Test Adapter extension is installed)

52 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi!

Thanks for this suggestion!

I’m afraid supporting running Unity Testing Tools from the Test Explorer is not as easy as simply creating a Test projects for the Tests, as the code needs to run in the context of Unity.

We could however implement a custom test adapter to run the Unity NUnit tests remotely inside Unity. We will investigate the matter.

Jb Evain, Senior SDE Lead, Tools for Unity

• Have compiler warnings more closely match those from Unity

I'd really like to get rid of all warnings in our project both when compiling in Unity, and when compiling in Visual Studio.

I get that because Unity compiles with Mono, and VS compiles with the .Net compiler so the warnings generated will always be a little bit different. However Unity also suppresses certain warnings because they would otherwise fire on false positives in typical Unity scripts.

I'm thinking particularly of CS0649 which fires on private serialized fields that C# thinks are never assigned a value even though Unity will assign a value when de-serializing the class.

I can get…

22 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion!

You’re right that because both Unity and VS compile the code with a different compiler you’ll get potentially different messages, but you’re also right that we should let you set the nowarn option from our configuration.

You can easily workaround it by using #pragma warning disable, but having a configuration option is much better.

Jb Evain, Dev Lead, Tools for Unity

• add UNITY_VS compilation symbol.

We've used ProjectFileGeneration event but have a issue regarding planner environment.

They don't use Visual Studio and Visual Studio Tools for Unity. so our project file generator will cause compile error on their unity environment.

We can ignore generator class with preprocessor if Unity Visual Studio Tools for Unity defines UNITY_VS compilation symbol.

And, we use unity 5.2.0f2 and unity has UnityVS out of box support.
          I think it's not a bad idea to add compilation symbol.

15 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add intellisense support to "MonoBehaviour" Class specialy the "Messages"

t will be very helpful to see what Messages are available in MonoBhaviour Class, such as "Update, Awake, OnCollision...., etc"
            instead of always referring to this link:
            http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.html

14 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi!

As Sébastien noted, you can already use our wizards today to generate MonoBehaviour messages.

We do have plans to investigate if we could use the new Roslyn based IntelliSense infrastructure to have an even smoother workflow.

• 14 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Preserve user created solution folders when regenerating the solution in VST4U

It is hugely useful to be able to debug add in dlls in Unity: http://unityvs.com/documentation/dll-debugging/ and it is great that the Unity plugin preserves the references to external projects when the solution is regenerated.

It'd be nice if we could organise these external projects into solution folders and have the tool preserve to user defined folder structure as well as the project references when regenerating the solution.

14 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Set the platform for the *.Editor plugins to x86 to prevent warnings

Is it possible to set the platform to x86 for the .Editor project rather than Any CPU? I've got a few plugins that have a processor architecture of x86 when compiled, which then gives the following warning.

"There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "XXXX", "x86"...."

This is *extremely* minor, as it doesn't cause any issues, it's just nice to have a warning free project!

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

If we switch the plugins to x86 what will happen when Unity releases a 64 bits version? ;)

What we have in the road-map for future version is better customization for the generated project files. This way you’ll be able to select another platform.

It will only be a cosmetic change that being said, as Unity is handling the compilation of the scripts itself, the result of the Visual Studio compilation is only used by our own tooling.

• Visual Studio without forced an account MS

Visual Studio without forced an account MS

12 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add version control to Test Manager

We need version control for test cases for the same reasons we need it for sources code:
                      •to have a controlled check in/check out system to prevent multiple users from editing the test case at the same time
                      •to be able to revert to previous version(s) of a test case when incorrect modifications have been made

thread link:
                      https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/8b2852da-0fa6-4d77-8eeb-2ca45fed0491/how-can-i-get-my-mtm-test-cases-in-tfs-source-control?forum=vsmantest

10 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow DLL debugging for Unity projects without any source code

We work with many separate, related Unity projects. One project contains all the C# source code, and we build a DLL that we then distribute to the other Unity projects. Some of these "downstream" projects lack any actual scripts of their own, so the UnityVS solution that's created by the plugin doesn't contain any projects by default. I can still add the external "upstream" C# projects to the solution, as outlined in the documentation for external DLL debugging, however the debugger cannot connect! If the project I want to debug doesn't contain any raw source code (or a project of…

9 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi!

That’s an interesting scenario that we will consider. We’re also considering providing specialized class library project with support for deploying the compiled .dll into the Unity project and convert the .pdb into the Unity supported debug symbol file format.

• Support Dynamic Text Template

Compile time text template is supported now. However, when I add a preprocessed runtime text template, the Custom Tool property of the template file will be reset and become a compile time template again.

I think it would be great if the Custom Tool property can be saved so that I don't need to set it to TextTemplatingFilePreprocessor every time I open the solution.

Thanks for your great work!

9 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add support for nuget packages

When VSTU regenerates projects, it obliterates the nuget packages attached to the project.

Unity supports using DLLs by including them in the assets folder. Have VSTU put nuget package DLLs in an appropriate location in the assets folder and preserve the nuget package config between solution regenerations would be an immense boon to C# programming in Unity.

9 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Visual Studio and Netsuite Tool integration

Currently using TFS 2013 on premise

I was looking for some feedback on integrating NetSuite with TFS, when a ticket is logged into Netsuite, it will create a bug/task in TFS and they can synchronize with each other as it is updated. This would help with feature request as well.

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Make more Documentation about Unity3D To windows app store Build and modification

how to modify the build project from unity3D , and how to integrate new xaml page into the build project ...

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • 6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Place 'Microsoft' directives second when sorting usings

visual studio > options > Text Editor> c# > advanced

Place 'Microsoft' directives second when sorting usings

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • 6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • once i open main.storyboard in with xml editor(or any editor) i am unable to open it back in iosdesginer in visual studio please fix it.

initially when i create a demo xamarin project Main.storyboard was in

iosdesigner then i open main.storyboard file in xml editor (by right

click on main.storyboard open with) ....after that i want to open

main.storyboard in ios designer what it was initially but i didnot get

any option that open storyboard with ios designer where as it is

available in xamarin studio in mac.......

if there is any solution already available in visual studio for windows

kindly tell me the solution my mail id is : abinash.sil668@gmail.com

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Limit the access of TFS Team Dashboard to access to specific users only.

Would be great to see TFS Team board permission to limit the access of Team dashboard to allowed users only of Team Projects.

I post the same on MSDN forum also but unfortunately is not available as per design.

Please find url of the same below.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa42bb16-fa11-41c1-882e-d10c6d909289/tfs-team-dashboard?forum=tfsprocess

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base