Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Microsoft can make an update of the VB6 to VB7 (Classic VB)

1) It should be able to create VB Command Line application.
    2) API selection dialog which will put the selected API on the project.
    3) It should be able to create both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.
    4) It should also have a feature to create self dependent application which doesn't depend on any runtime library.
    5) Change the looks similar to the VS2013/VS2015.

# If Microsoft does create this new COM based programming language I am sure many programmers will switch back to Microsoft.
    # And really there is not point in abandoning such a huge crowd of programmers who…

197 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      23 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Adopt a simple and obvious versioning scheme for the IDE

Currently, we have "Visual Studio 2015", "Visual Studio 2015 Update 2", "Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 2" (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt695655.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396)

Add to that the confusion spread by Visual Studio 2015/Visual Studio 14.

Rather than this dual versioning and "update" language and it's nested counterpart "update for an update", it would be much simpler to adopt, for example, major.minor.patch.

* Visual Studio 2015/14 => 14.0.0
      * Visual Studio 2015/14 Update 2 => 14.2.0
      * "Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015/14 Update 2" => 14.2.1

If you *really* want to keep the "year" moniker for marketing purposes, then perhaps embrace…

662 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        8 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the great suggestion. You’re right – the versioning has proven a little challenging in this release. A few of us are meeting next week to see what is viable for the upcoming next release of Visual Studio and I’ll update the suggestion accordingly. No promises – there are lots of subtle knock-on effects to changes like this, but we are very sympathetic to the problem.

Warm wishes,

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• VB6 programming: Waking a sleeping giant - MSDN magazine article https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt632280

The February 2016 edition of the Microsoft MSDN magazine has an article by David Platt "Don't Get Me Started - VB6: Waking a Sleeping Giant"
        https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt632280

Platt suggests developing a new version of VB6 (which he names VB*) that compiles to Javascript and HTML5.

Platt says "The VB* programming model would conceptually resemble the ASP.NET Web Forms model, in which controls render their content as HTML. But that rendering requires ASP.NET on the server side, and VB* needs to avoid depending on any particular server. Therefore, VB* will compile down to independent pages of HTML5 elements and JavaScript code, just…

1,192 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          162 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Show indent guides like Notepad++ does

Indent guides help quickly finding out where a scoop starts and where it ends. I think an advanced IDE like Visual Studio must have this feature. I know that there is an extension for this, but why doesn't Visual Studio have a basic feature like this natively?

3,130 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            5 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • 572 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              23 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow us to change the navigation bar colour on windows 10 mobile in our apps

With phones that have software buttons, we could apply transparent effects, blur, gradients or just plain colours on our apps. Of course we will give the user a choice to whether or not they would want there own preferences (maybe with a universal toggle in the OS or a toggle within the app we create). This could also be used to represent an event which has happened in the app.

83 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Create a Ubiquitous .NET Client Application Development Model

This vote is for developers who wish to see the idea of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model created by Microsoft and the Visual Studio team.

A ubiquitous .NET client application development model is a model that is defined in .NET-based technologies and is able to run in a multitude of runtime environments -- both native-compiled (store-hosted) and web-hosted.

A *very* rough image of the vision can be found here:
                http://i0.wp.com/blog.developers.win/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Vision.png

The goal is to enable *one* .NET Client Application Project to build deliverables for the following platforms:
                1) Windows 10
                2) Legacy Windows
                3) *nix (Unix/Linux)
                4) Droid …

4,711 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  131 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Test Tools in VS 2016 - CodedUI - Merge UIMap Actions Into One Method

Due to the instability of the CodedUI Test Builder, and the unpredictability of playback I have many separate methods in a single UIMap file. I would like to merge the actions\methods into 1 method\an existing method. Within the UIMap there already is a function that will split a UI Action into separate methods, and I want to do the opposite and merge separate actions\methods into 1 method\an existing method.

73 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make MS Test Framework Opensouce

So many things in the Microsoft universie is open sourced but MS Test is currently not. Please makemit opensource so we can enhance it with additional features as well as removeing old flaws.

403 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      8 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Cloud-based iOS emulator instead of remoted iOS simulator for Windows

Windows developers need a free cloud-based iOS emulator instead of current simulator that needs a Macbook.

101 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Stop Autoformatting my code

Visual Studio has always had options to stop the editor from autoformatting our code. They are found in Options > Text Editor > C# > Formatting > Defaults.

In Visual Studio 2015, you decided to add a bunch of new actions that cause Autoformatting to happen. And you didn't add the option to turn it off to this screen.
                        Some of the cases where it now happens:
                        - When I press colon
                        - When I press {
                        - Some cases with the using block.

It would be even better to just have a NEVER autoformat my code option - And…

294 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make a new Visual Basic 6.0

The world needs VB6. That is a real need. VB.NET is dead because it is never had the performance for computer games. The enforced paradigms lead to virtual function table look-ups, fragmented memory and poor cache locality from over using heap memory. The game loop has a strict deadline that will be broken randomly when the framework decides to go around your scheduler and garbage collect everything at the worst possible time. There are ways to disable some of these but it is easier to just use a language built for performance to begin with, namely Visual Basic 6.0.

The…

745 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            68 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Replace Action Recordings in MTM with Xamarin Test Recorder

Action Recordings (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286647(v=vs.110).aspx) are nearly useless and are very fragile. Instead Xamarin Test Recorder https://www.xamarin.com/test-cloud/recorder should be integrated into MTM (Microsoft Test Manager) and extended to work with WPF/Win Form/ Desktop applications that require automated testing.

269 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              5 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make fsproj Files Include All Files by Default and have a separate File for Compilation Order

For anyone trying to do web development in F#

Having a nested tree structure of Files (like CSS HTML JS) is a real pain to add to an FSProj and as a result I don't use Visual Studio for this.

So I'm suggesting you
                              - Make FSProj include all files by default and instead you'd add the files (or wild characters) you want to exclude
                              - Have a separate file (or section) that allows you to specify compilation order

This will make it easy to embed non-compilable assests to your fsproj without pulling your hair out

44 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Manage NuGet Packages should support Database project

In Visual Studio 2013, when I click the Manage NuGet Packages menu for Database project, it will prompt me that "Operation failed. The project 'database project name' is unsupported.".

And in Visual Studio 2015, this feature is grey out for database project.
                                I think NuGet Manager should also support database project. There has other communities who also has this requirement, please refer to:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/8570c1e9-2916-4e80-800a-2e553f8a2bfa/referencing-dacpac-nugets-from-a-sqlproj-ssdt-within-visual-studio-2015?forum=visualstudiogeneral&prof=required

75 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Congratulations to Microsoft for extending VB6 programming support to Windows 10

This idea is a proposal of thanks to Microsoft for extending VB6 support to Windows 10.

Microsoft say "VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows 10 for the lifetime of the OS. Visual Basic 6.0 runtime files continue to be 32-bit only and all components must be hosted in 32-bit application processes. Developers can think of the support story for Windows 10 being the same as it is for Windows 8.1."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

This means that VB6 programming is supported until at least 2025.

THANK YOU, MICROSOFT !

364 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    28 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Insert * at the start of new lines when writing /* */ comments option is not being saved

Options->Text Editor->C#->Advanced
                                    Insert * at the start of new lines when writing /* */ comments

Setting is not saved properly.

It randomly turns back on upon restarting editor.

108 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Folder Based Find&Replace in Visual Studio

Visual Studio now supports many none Microsoft technologies, and many open source projects and tools, with lots of files in current projects the find & replace scope (Curent Block, Current Document, All open documents, current project, current solution) not enough in many use cases.

please add new scope : selected folder

same experience exists in Netbeans, Eclipse, and many other IDE's for a long time.

73 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Put an option to disable indentation after pasting code

Vertically line up arguments of a function call. Then copy the block of code. Paste it somewhere else. The allignment which you carefully made is all gone. You have to do the same custom formatting every single place you paste your code.

Unfortunately, there is no way of preventing this in Visual Studio 2015. I checked for a solution on the internet. Most people are complaining about the same problem and there is no cure.

Please provide an option for disabling this behavior.

3,092 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          10 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow free download of the VB6 programming language and IDE

Microsoft currently make the VB6 programming language and IDE available to all MSDN subscribers for download from the subscriber downloads section. A generic subscriber key is also provided.

Microsoft should now make this available for free download without requiring a paid MSDN subscription.

This is already done with the Expression Web software, so it wouldn't be creating a new precedent.

338 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            25 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 341 342
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base