Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add an option to Visual Studio to set if a webpage is viewed in the internal or external browser

With TFS2015 more areas of it are moving to the browser, but from a developers perspective it would be beneficial to not have to switch apps to view something that is now in web access. For example the new build definitions, if I want to edit it from VS, then open the browser tab instead of using an external browser.
    Adding an option to VS to control how web pages are browsed would give the user control over whether to use the internal or external browser. Or provide a way that lets you pick the browser type from the context…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Sepcify table name for multiple recordsets

When you return multiple recordsets from a store proc, it will be nice if we can specify the custom table name for each record set and access the tables via table name than index. In this way code can be dynamic and lot easier. The current hack is provide one extra table for recordset to table name but it is not neat. Depending on the index and prior knowledge can cause lot of bugs.
      The following should be done
      1) When multiple recordsets are returned from the storeproc, the SP developer can tag each recordset with a table name (ex:…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow placing an XML comment on a [TestMethod]

I just found that an XML comment is not allowed on a method adorned with the [TestMethod] attribute. Why? Please make it possible to do this, and create a ToolTip from it when hovering over the TestMethod in the Test Explorer...
        Background: sometimes, describing the stage in unit test methods is too complex to the phrase it in the method's name

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Show number of errors in Error List Tab Caption

Since VS2015 there is a " * " in the "Error List" Tab Caption if something has changed. What about just showing the number of errors in brackets there instead ?

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Update nodejs to v4.x

Update the included nodejs to v4.x. The current version is to old, breaks many plugins to gulp, grunt etc.

12 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Enhance Java Automation support for TFS 2015

We know that TFS 2015 has excellent support for Java platform by having a plugin for Eclipse and Jenkins.
              In this context, I would like to know how can we associate a test case automated in Java to a manual test case in TFS.
              If not implemented please provide that feature.

I have a workaround to achieve that using TCM.exe and probably the new TFS API’s
              but I would like it to work just like a test case automated in C# gets associated from VSTS to a manual test case.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Move the [file/ofnumberfiles] when doing a 'get latest' to the beginning of the status line

Having the [***/yyyyy] at the end of the status line makes it hard to track because it jumps left and right, depending on the length of path/filename.
                Placing this part at the beginning of the line (and adding leading zeroes to the ***-part) may make this easier to read.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • bower https

Give the possibility to change the protocol used by bower (and git) to fetch the libraries.

I'm working in a closed network environment (firewalled) and the protocol git:// seems to have issues, so we want to use https://.

The idea is to configure in a easy way the protocol to be used without install the official GIT BASH; and improve the intellisense for bower.json (but config.json too), because we follow some forum tutorial to make things working by prompt, but we still can't use the intellisense inside bower.json, and we have to install an external plugin for the VS2015.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Allow a developer to create, and easily switch between multiple window layout profiles in Visual Studio

I have times during my development when I'm writing code in different languages, unit testing, or debugging. Currently, Visual Studio does retain the windows, layout and positions between debugging and not debugging.

It would be great if you can expand on this feature and allow a developer to create multiple layout profiles, and easily switch between them. Almost like the multiple desktop feature in Windows 10.

I would like to be able to switch between a Visual Studio window layout for coding JavaScript, C#, XAML, Unit Testing, and debugging. This would be awesome because there are certain windows I only…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Modify functions that require an array with ArraySegment when possible. For example, for File.WriteAllBytes

Modify functions that require an array with ArraySegment when possible. For example, for File.WriteAllBytes()

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • VS2015 Toolbar icons - Create UI theme that uses VS2010 colorized icons

Please create an optional UI theme for VS2015 that uses all the VS2010 colorized icons.

I find the VS2015 Toolbar icons to be a big step backward productivity-wise. Most of the icons are just black outlines. The VS2010 icons with their colors made it much easier to quickly find the icon you need. It has to do with how the human brain works. Example: In VS2015, Cut/Copy/Paste icons are all just black outline. They were much easier to locate in VS2010 with easily

See this link for a side by side image comparison of VS2015 vs VS2010 icons (third reply…

7 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow Blend to work with F# projects!

There are WPF templates for F# thus I'd like to use Blend with them. Sadly this is not supported, can we have this please?

11 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Remove unused autocomplete

Remove some suggestions from auto complete. I always type "for" and tab to make a for loop. But currently Visual Code gives me suggestion "for" for typing "for". That is very useless, I already typed the three letters. I want for + tab to make a full loop. Same with if statements, while, and so on.

Perhaps a way to prioritize the suggestions?

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • 8 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • allow "var" in declaration of properties in C# classes

For example this declaration:
                                private AudioPlayer audioLocal = new AudioPlayer();

would be easier to read if it allowed this as well:
                                private var audioLocal = new AudioPlayer();

and the compiler should be able to deduce the type just like it does for a local variable. It would allow cleaner and easier to read code, less "plumbing".

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Let me edit Android xml UI files in Visual Studio and add drag and drop support for Android Widgets. I would love to use Visual Studio this!

I do not want to downgrade and have to use Android Studio for Android app development. Visual Studio is light years ahead of other IDE's. But without GUI xml designer its not really an option. Xamarin is too expensive and introduces too much risk for memory leaks and bugs that do not exist in Android Java code.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • WinForms Designer DPI Lock

Provide an option to lock the WinForms Designer to work in a fixed DPI, such as 96 DPI. When opening a project in Visual Studio on different computers (with different resolutions and display scaling) the WinForms designer causes the forms to resize and otherwise behave badly. Sizes and positions are also inconsistent between different resolution/scale combinations. For example, a form of size 513x544 (on a 96 DPI 100% scale display) will show as 1040x1063 opened on a display that uses 200% scaling. I have found numerous posts around the Internet about this problem and the accepted solution is to always…

113 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • conditional code block execution (shorthand if/else statement)

Currently, you can assign values using ternary expressions (var i = true ? "This" : "That";).

I think it would be cool to have a ternary expression for code blocks, so you can execute a grouping of statements based on a conditional check. It's basically a simplified if/else statement. It would only serve to clean up/shorten code by removing the traditional if/else words. The gain is minimal, but it is cleaner in my opinion.

if (true)
                                      {
                                      //blah
                                      }
                                      else
                                      {
                                      //blah
                                      }

would become:

true
                                      ? {
                                      //blah
                                      }
                                      : {
                                      //blah
                                      }

The above would not work for…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • I want Windows Forms Designer for F# (F Sharp) - Windows Forms is NOT deprecated, you was wrong in 2011.

I posted this idea in 2011 and the answer as:

"WinForms is deprecated, so there are no plans to create a designer for F#."
                                        Now is 2015, and as you can see you was wrong, Windows Forms is alive and well.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Visual Studio search results categories and modal for dark theme

Search results window is complete mess, it is really hard to tell what is what.
                                          I propose to add foldable categories based on namespace, class, method and so on. It would be easier with Roslyn now.

I made comparison with IntelliJ IDEA editor in which this future is really well made.

Also dialog modal is not well integrated into dark theme, those white inputs are really distracting.

Thank you for your time

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base