Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop opening all documents open in Visual Studio when opening a document in Blend

It creates clutter and increases the risk of editing a document from two places at once by accident. Please let me open only the document I tell the program to open. I'm likely to have unsaved changes in the opened documents that can easily be lost in ther current setup
    The issue occurs when using the "Design in Blend" option in the solution explorer.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow running multiple instances of the same emulator profile

I would really like it if I could launch multiple instances of the same profile. Either by clicking the play button multiple times or by being able clone already existing profiles.

This suggestion is similar to the one asking for a way to be able to add custom emulator profiles but it would also be really nice not having to create a profile from scratch and instead use an existing profile as a template for your own custom profile.

21 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make update notifications less intrusive

Update notifications are a nuisance currently because almost all of those little updates are irrelevant to any given developer. I'd say 95% of updates are irrelevant to me.

Please find a way to make this feature a little less annoying. Basically, the only thing I care about is the quarterly updates. I want a flashy notification for that.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make the designer a bit more inteligent when dealing with abstract class

Make the designer a bit more intelligent when dealing with abstract classes. When I have a single .cs file that is abstract and click on it, the designer reports that it cannot create an instance of the abstract class. This is a pain, for every time I need to open the simple single .cs file with no design associated to it. I have to choose the option ¬view code¬ and not just click it. I think the designer should realize that this is a single file and that no design view needs to be displayed and just display the code…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • C++ IDE Group Header/Cpp tabs

Add the option to automatically or/and manually to be able to group Header/Cpp tabs in the C++ IDE.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • "DLL HeLLL" is not totally gone; it got a new home reference address.

DLL HeLLL is a lot better but there are times refereneces are hard to deal with. At many firm I've been to, I'll inherit Visual Studio Solutions with large number of projects.
              I find that are not able to build the solutions when I pull down the code from source control on to a new PC. Yes, it works on the other developers PC but it won't work without a lot of effort on other PCs or build environments. Many of the 3rd party DLLs could be missing or all pointing inconsistently to non-existent folders. These binary DLLs are not…

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • SSIS Script Tasks to not error when executed on SQL Server 2014

Issue Definition: A SSIS package in SSDT 2015 and this package has a script task.
                The script task works fine when we run the package from SSDT2015 and it fails when the package is executed in SQL Server 2014.

Following is the error seen:
                Script Task: Error: There was an exception while loading Script Task from XML : System Exception : The script task uses version 14.0 script that is not supported in this release on Integration services. To run the package, use the Script task to create a new VSTA script. In most cases, scripts are converted automatically to…

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  SQL Server Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Show copy or move indication

We all love the ability to 'move' things in C++11, but in a surprising number of cases, what we thought would be a move, turns out to be a copy after all. This happens silently and can have considerable performance impact.

Would it be possible for the choice of move or copy to be made visible in the editor, so we can visually check our assumptions against what the compiler will eventually produce?

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow Ternary and Null Coalescing operators to return values

If I want to shortcut my method to return null whenever my object A.B.C is null, I would have to write:

if(A?.B?.C == null) {
                    return null;
                    }

The shorthand A?.B?.C ?? return null; would improve the readability of the code and provide a great shorthand.

Note that this isn't equivalent to return A?.B?.C as I want the method to continue execution if the value isn't null. Throwing a ArgumentException would behave in the same manner.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • bring back BRIEF editor emulation support

Currently I open files in VS 2008 to edit using the BRIEF emulation but compile in VS 2015.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Provide an option to toggle off the rename quick action

When I am changing which variable I pass to a method or swapping out a term in an expression, I do not want to rename the variable I replaced. I find the automatic highlighting of the identifier I changed and the quick action light bulb suggesting that I rename all references incredibly distracting and highly annoying. If I want to rename an identifier I'll use F2, otherwise I'm just editing code and if I renamed something used somewhere else that is on me to deal with.

I've tried searching for a way to disable the rename quick action and have…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Enable Roslyn-Powered Data ASTs and Data Views

This vote is for developers who support the idea of Roslyn-Powered Data ASTs and Data Views. Data Views are a conceptual improvement to the way Visual Studio presents data files to a developer, and how a developer works with that data. Data Views are powered by Data ASTs, which are ASTs (abstract syntax trees) that describe data in much the same way that code-based ASTs describe code.

Data ASTs and the Data Views that they enable allow teams to pick a data format to use in their project, while enabling individual developers within the team to view the data in…

32 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Give me a Mini Solution Explorer Where I Drag a Subset of Files

I generally work with a limited number of files as I focus on specific functionality. I spend far to much time searching through Solution Explorer for the ones I want.

Please let me drag the files I want into a Mini Solution Explorer (folderless) where I can find them quickly.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Provide indexed properties

For now, we can write indexed properties only for a class like this:
                              class A {
                              public int this[int index] {...}
                              }

I'd really like to use properties in the following way:
                              class A {
                              public string foo[int bar] {...}
                              }

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Java [Open JDK]

Java is the most widely taught and used language in the developing countries like India but there is no IDE as powerful as Visual studio for it. So i request you too add JAVA support officially for the Visual studio. Best option will be support for Open-JDK which is already an open source project.

7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • please save vc++ classview folter in text file and svn can manage it

I work at company and home,and use svn for sync.
                                  But I noticed vs2015 save a lot of information in ProjectDir/.vs

the problem is vs2015 save some volatile info and static info in .vs
                                  this make svn useless or hard to copy with.

for eample,I create class view folder,hope to submit this changes to svn,so I add .vs folder to svn
                                  But I noticed even I open a c++ filter,.svn folder is changed. there is no point to save this to svn

the problem is vs2015 combind volatile info and static info in the same project config file.
                                  I hope…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Use git mailmap for the Team Activity CodeLens

The Team Activity popup for CodeLens shows duplicate committer information if some committers have (accidentally) committed using multiple committer names and/or emails. It would be nice if CodeLens detected a git .mailmap file and used that to de-duplicate committers just like `git shortlog` does.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • meme fuction

Being able to call a fuction that make the dankes memes of all time

Memes could be stored in a library

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Bring back "Committed by typing the following characters" intellisense option for C#

This was a very handy feature in previous versions of Visual Studio. Now I have to press escape every time I don't want the suggestion to commit, which is not only frustrating but also slows me down.

I run into this frequently while typing a type name that hasn't been referenced by a "using" in the file yet.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Implement macro support for output paths (i.e. intermidate and output binaries)

Simply put: Allow users to redirect where code generated files are stored the way Visual C++ does.
                                          e.g. Be able to use something like $(VCOutDir)\$(SolutionName)\$(ProjectName)\$(Configuration) to redirect generated binaries to some folder other than where source code is kept.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base