Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include Visual Basic 6.0 by default on the next version of Windows !

Please include Visual Basic 6.0 by default on the next version of Windows !

856 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      57 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • I would like Download Visual Studio in ISO image

Only hav option for Internet. In Venezuela is hard

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • The Simple Things

(1) I just had intense sessions of replacing text in VS. The Replace UX is middle ages. You must honor my last settings for search folders. Never change them. You keep changing them and it can replace in other windows accidentally. Do not make abominable text selections, guessing my last ones, terrible idea. Wastes so much time. Good intentions lead to,,,

(2) When undo/redo -- KEEP the focus line in THE CENTER of window. All jumps must be centered.

(3) Do not wait for last section of function, jump there at class selection.

(4) Bring easy front line Wiggle control…

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add inline new file/new folder/etc buttons/flows to solution explorer, similar to VS Code

While I generally prefer the "full" VS IDE for most tasks, there are some features of VSCode I've really come to appreciate, and one of them is being able to fluently create a new file inline in the explorer through a smooth inline flow - hit the button, type the name, start editing away. The full VS flow of right-click on parent -> find "Add" in a bloated context menu -> New Item -> context switch to new dialog -> find the "Name" box and type the name -> context switch out of dialog is much more cumbersome. Even if…

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Simultaneous downloading packages in Visual Studio Installer

There is a lot small packages and because of that downloading takes more time. I have fiber internet (download ~35MB/s) but when so many small packages are downloaded speed it's limited by this to something about 2MB/s. If package is bigger then downloading speed is something about 30MB/s so it's not a connection problem.

Would be great if VS Installer could use simultaneous downloading of packages and that should increase speed of downloading

12 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Don't prevent Visual Studio from being started while a 3GB update is busy downloading! Do that check only before the installation starts.

Don't prevent Visual Studio from being started while a 3GB update is busy downloading! Do that check only before the installation starts.

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Hope to support Chinese programming, such as “易语言”, Chinese C language, Chinese Java, Chinese phython, and so on.

Hope to support Chinese programming, such as “易语言”, Chinese C language, Chinese Java, Chinese phython, and so on.Make it easy to use our own mother tongue programming

12 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Hope that Microsoft can develop multi-national languages to support the programming language, specifically, not only the IDE supports multi-

Hope that Microsoft can develop multi-national languages to support the programming language, specifically, not only the IDE supports multi-language, programming language keywords. NET library also supports multi-language, if the source code to support multi-language automatic conversion is even better.

10 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Line numbers in stack traces for UWP apps

The C++ Unit Test App (Universal Windows) project in VS2015 does not show StackTrace for failed assertion.

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Deliver Visual Studio updates via WSUS

Instead of spending time and effort on improving the Visual Studio update process, why not focus on integrating these updates into Microsoft's existing, working update mechanism, aka Windows Update/WSUS?

The Office family of products already do this if the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" setting is enabled in the Windows Update options, so I honestly don't see why it cannot be done for VS updates - especially since the VS update process requires no user interaction.

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • provide an option to install Visual Studio 2017 15.2 or make it possible to update from 15.0 to 15.2

We need an option to install 15.2 or to update 15.0 to 15.2 without automatically updating to 15.3.x.
                        Please make this possible with a setup program, with an offline istaller or even online. Thanks.

57 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          9 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • feedback process is created by babies

Aparently your entire feedback process is design by a bunch of babies.

1. when I want to give feedback on a post, I need to login (this makes sense so far)
                          2. as soon as I get logged in (while I have verified NOT to be asked much, I still have to login 5 times THEN TO GET TO THE POINT THAT I NEED A PROFESSIONAL LICENSE TO GIVE FEEDBACK ON YOUR ****** WEBSITE

3. the first thing I see on your "contact us" page is a textbox letting me think it is a feedback box, apparently it's a OBFUSCATED…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Do not notify on Visual Studio patches prior to the release notes being available

As of 5:47 PM UTC, April 10, 2018, Visual Studio has notified me that 15.6.6 is available. The link brings me to the below web site.
                            https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releasenotes/vs2017-relnotes#15.6.6

There are no patch notes for 15.6.6 there - just 15.5.5. Please don't offer update notifications prior to the patch notes being available. You have notified me that there is a decision I don't yet have the information to make. This is a waste of time.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • default .runsettings

Currently we can't configure our solutions or projects to always use a default .runsettings file. We always have to select our .runsettings files manually. Otherwise no .runsettings file is selected by default if we open the solution the first time in Visual Studio 2017.

Please allow to configure default .runsettings file per solution and/or project.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Allow developers to disable automatic comment aligning. This wastes my time too much!

On the internet community, this is frequently discussed and people seems to be disappointed to find out there is no solution. Allow us to disable this double-edged feature. Oftentimes, it wastes my time more than helping.

int i; // Comment

// Comment that has nothing to do with the above comment
                                int j; // Does the above comment look smart? Not at all!

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Ability to sort 15.6 Test Explorer alphabetically

When grouping Test Explorer by Class or Traits, the tests are currently in no discernible order. There should be the ability to sort these alphabetically, or automatically sorted alphabetically

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add Windows remote debugging (msvsmon) support to CMake Folder project

CMake Folder support is great and there is support for remote debugging with gdb, but oddly I am unable to find support for remote debugging with VS native msvsmon tool. I want to remote debug a native C/C++ application on a windows machine.

15 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Implement -openmp-simd to guide vectorization

While other OpenMP 3+ require runtime support it should be less effort to support the SIMD subset of OpenMP to guide vectorization.

Afaik gcc, clang and icc all support an -fopenmp-simd option to do just this, often reusing existing compiler-specifis like https://llvm.org/docs/Vectorizers.html#pragma-loop-hint-directives.

See https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2013-10/msg02275.html

12 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow simultaneous debuggers in chrome

Chrome now supports multiple debuggers. However when the chrome debugger is natively opened (F12), the visual studio debugger connection is dropped for some reason. I assume this may be because of the method currently VS uses to attach to the chrome debugger. There is a workaround as detailed on the MSDN forums via the link below, but it would be good to have this fixed to improve productivity

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5cd1aa58-d986-4d03-a10e-bf1fd62080a7/simultaneous-debugging-in-chrome?forum=vsdebug#5cd1aa58-d986-4d03-a10e-bf1fd62080a7

21 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • 1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base