Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Indicate Bug cards on task board by using a different color.

It would be great if the task Board in Visual Studio Online could simply support a different color scheme for Bug "stories" so that we could tell at a glance which items on the board are Bugs and which are PBIs.

It wouldn't even require changing the task card colors, just make the text for the Bug "story" red or use a red background, etc.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support TypeScript like "extends" capability - Compiler Checked Duck Typing

In TypeScript one can define a method that takes a "generic" parameter and then specify that it extends a certain interface. This essentially allows passing in an instance of any type that has those properties and methods without having the instance explicitly implement the "interface" per se. So it is like compiler checked duck typing.

Because the instance being passed in doesn't need to explicitly implement the interface (but the compiler can ensure it does at compile time) it allows for a ****** coupling between a type that may not be owned by you and your code.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add a Create New Feature Button on the KANBAN Board

It would be great if I could create a new card/feature directly from the Board view. This would improve the experience greatly.

2 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Change the Browser Link icon

The [enable|disable] Browser Link icon is represented by a clockwise arrow and I often get this confused with the Restart icon which is represented by a counterclockwise arrow. It would be great to change this to something else, such as a bidirectional horizontal arrow.

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Compiler exports graph of possible exceptions for function

As the compiler goes through code it should export the possible exceptions a particular function can throw. While this is somewhat like the Java feature, this can happen automatically and be displayed to downstream callers. Since all functions would have this information the graph should be fairly easy to generate for new functions.

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Distinct Intellisense icon for read-only properties (get accessor only)

It would be helpful to have a different icon in Intellisense to identify properties that only have a GET accessor (read-only properties). I've attached an image to illustrate the current situation and a concept icon for read-only properties.

Currently, Visual Studio's Intellisense doesn't help us to rapidly see which property can be modified (i.e. those that have a SET accessor). It shows the same icon for properties regardless of their accessors (get, set, or both).

For Microsoft assemblies, we have to look at each property's documentation comment for something like "Gets ___", but not "Gets or sets ____".

For internal…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow Visual Studio IDE ability to display IL generated code for methods to discover unintended boxing or other performance insights.

The only way to look at generated IL code is to compile the binary and run ILDASM. The problem with this strategy is it's not integrated. Moreoever, it locks the binary so you have to exit ILDASM, recompile your change, then there relocate the method you're inspecting (sometimes a good many steps).

So many times, little things are hidden like unintended boxing and calls to the wrong implementation's function that would be revealed with this view. There are also times when you really do care to see how the optimizer behaves.

With over 20,000 NuGet packages touching millions of developers…

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Visual Studio 2013 with Microsoft Partner Network should be under perpetual license

I'm running into an issue where VS 2013 keeps saying my license is expired even though it's not. On top it seems like there's no easy way out of this even for Microsoft support. It's been a week now. Today I learnt that VS 2013 comes with non-perpetual license with MPN and cannot get a key. I need to register VS2013 once every month. I'm wondering the reason for this change and why Microsoft is making it so hard to use. Joining MPN is not free and should get perpetual license.

11 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add a 'sync to current page' option for Browser-link

Browser-link is great! But would be even better if there was an option to ***** the linked browsers to the cshtml file that I'm currently editing.

Example work flow....

Edit Index.cshtml, hit CTRL-ALT-ENTER to reload Index,html in attached browser(s)

Switch to About.cshtml in VS editor, hit CTRL-ALT-ENTER to cause attached browsers to navigate to About.html

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add git support for CodeLens

I've been using the VS2013 preview for a few weeks now, and love it. CodeLens stuff is really really cool, but some of the lenses only work with TFS as the version control. Adding the ability for these CodeLenses (author, commits) to work with other VCS (git first please!) would be excellent!

341 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        6 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add the work item only view / limited access users to visual studio online.

When you are granted Limited access to TFS, you are able to view and modify only those work items that you create. You can report a code defect or suggest a product feature. Also, if you used Microsoft Feedback to submit feedback responses, you can revise your submissions. In the past, this view has been referred to as Work Item Only View (WIOV). I think it would be good to have this in Visual Studio Online as well.

46 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Right-Click on the current C/C++ file should have a local menu option "Compile THIS file"

This is a suggestion for all versions of Visual Studio.

A Right-Click on the current C/C++ file should have a local menu option "Compile THIS file"

I cannot believe with this super-user-friendly way, your designers made it so awkward.

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Windows 8.1 - Hey Microsoft -look down from the ivory tower and listen to your users -

When u click the WINDOWS BUTTON on WINDOWS 8.1 - it toggles between the DESKTOP and 8.1 PANEL VIEW (Nice) - Now PLEASE do what EVERY ONE of your users want you to and make the DESKTOP choice look and act like WINDOWS 7 -- PUT BACK THE START BUTTON, SCROLLING MENUS OF PROGRAMS and PUT BACK THE CLOSE BUTTON, MAXIMIZE and MINIMIZE BUTTONS on ALL WINDOWS -- THEN YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT BUSINESS PRODUCT, that's easy to use AND YOUR USERS WILL LOVE - I did a consulting project back in the 80's you based Windows on (with…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Please provide SQL monitoring

Please provide SQL monitoring

16 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.

[Reopened because of accidental decline]
                                You really need to bring back the basic Setup and Deployment project name Visual Studio Installer. It was a clean, simple, and effective installer for home grown applications that were to be deployed internally. I downloaded and used InstallShield LE and it's too complicated and overblown to build simple effective install/uninstall capabilities. Why did you remove it to begin with? We have to support desktop applications for the foreseeable future.

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow users to send suggestions/feedback via Application Insights

One source of application telemetry not captured by Application Insights is direct feedback from users. While one can observe usage and performance with the service, if users are directly saying "this sucked" or "please add this capability" then no inferences are required.

Since Application Insights is already a service in the cloud, and since telemetry is already being delivered to that service why not provide the ability to ship "comments/suggestions/feedback" too, and have a place for that in the AI service.

Would sure beat having developers trying to build their own feedback/send a smile kind of capabilities from scratch.

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Deployment Agents for non-MS platforms

Allow non-MS platforms to become a "deployment target" in TFS Release Management. TEE allows Eclipse users to connect to TFS from their IDE, there is the possibility to include non-MS platforms in the build process but there is currently no automated/managed deployment option.

21 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 136 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Remove/ ignore events in Application insights

Add an option to remove or ignore events in the diagnostics view of Application Insights

47 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow Tasks to use story points instead of hours

Not everybody use Hours in Tasks. I think it'd be nice to use User Story Points, Effort, PBI Points or whatever name you want to represent the measure of the Task, so we can measure the work not in time but in weight.

14 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base