Visual Studio IDE

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Xamarin.PWA

How about adding a new project type, "Xamarin.PWA". Making it easy for native app builders to build Progressive Web Apps while using the same work flow that they are accustomed to. And as soon as possible so that they can join the hype now. You Microsoft guys can do it. I believe in you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Save edits to the Breakpoints and Bookmarks lists as they're made

Whenever Visual Studio crashes, I lose all of the Bookmarks and Breakpoints that were created since the last time Visual Studio was successfully closed.

I would love it if Visual Studio would incrementally save edits to these lists to prevent loss.

Sometimes it's a plugin that prevents Visual Studio from shutting down properly, and occasionally Visual Studio crashes while debugging.
      In any case, Breakpoints and Bookmarks shouldn't be "deleted" unless explicitly removed by the user.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • 1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • It took longer to finish up than the actual install.

Visual Studio installer - Problem is it's says it's 100% and just sitting there with no feedback. I almost killed it.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Amend appearance of Locals watch variable "<method_name> returned"

Amend appearance of Locals watch variable "<method_name> returned".

All Watch variables have icon of "blue brick" and all rows have same color.
            When the method, which is returning something lives in longer Namespace name and class name (or class is Generic, so there are another typenames), name of this generated watch variable "<method_name> returned" is very long, thus not visible on first glance.

To see, which of the Locals is the "returned" variable of the method, you need to expand this column.

Making this row colored differently or differentiate it by another icon than the "blue brick" could help.

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Paste Special(Unformatted/raw)

Need the ability to paste text without it auto formatting. For example, I've carefully created a long sql query in MSSMS, copied it, then tried to paste it into one of my .cs files(to then make it a string) but the act of pasting it reformats the text and I have to spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning it up. I've attached an example txt file that shows the clipboard versus what ends up in the IDE. Note, same issues exist when my boss sends me an email of strings he'd like changed, I try and copy+paste and end…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Improve breakpoint conditional expressions

When adding a debug breakpoint with a conditional expression that involves a function, it is denied with the message "This expression has side effects and will not be evaluated."

The problem is that this error appears no matter if the function has side effects or not. I'd like to request better detection of expressions that actually doesn't have any side effects. It would also be great if it was possible to ignore such false errors and force the expression to be evaluated.

For example, I wanted to trigger a breakpoint when two objects were equal with a conditional expression like…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Wrap selected text with double quotes when pressing double quote

It's a common pattern to wrap selected text with single or double quotes when pressing single or double quotes text. I actually cannot find a good reason why VS should not have this feature.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Provide an option to disable hover tooltips for collapsed regions in xaml editor

The tooltip is extremly annoying in xaml files. (I guess in html files as well)
                    When navigation with the keyboard, the tooltip often opens and blocks the full screen when the mouse is over a collapsed region.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Switch autocomplete on space bar or tab pressed

For example, I'm starting to write some lambda expression:

collection.Where(x...

Then I press space bar and autocomplete pasts something that I really don't need. What I need is plan space character, there is nothing that could be autocompleted.

Would be nice to have something like “Commit by pressing the space bar” option.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Instrumentation of .NET Standard projects

Finding performance issues early in the development is very important, and the Performance Profiler hub in Visual Studio is an excellent tool to instrument your projects.
                        However, these tools are not working with .NET Standard projects, which makes it very hard to analyze bottlenecks in those projects.

Please add full support for profiling of .NET Standard and .NET Core projects.

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • split windows - restore when re-open Visual Studio

Restore split windows when re-open Visual Studio.

When you open Visual Studio the next day, you want it EXACTLY as it was so you can just continue with your work.
                          Split window status isn't saved, so if you were comparing some code you've now lost what you were doing.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make profiling of .NET Core unit tests work

Profiling of unit tests is a key to make sure your code has the expected performance early in the development process.
                            Currently it's not supported for .NET Core unit tests, which has been described in many posts, like https://github.com/Microsoft/vstest/issues/554, https://github.com/Microsoft/vstest/issues/617 and https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/145926/profile-test-fails-on-net-core-xunit-test-due-to-u.html.

However, it's unclear if someone owns this isse. Please make this important feature work as soon as possible.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Keep "find and replace" box when switching tabs in visual studio 2017

When i search for some item in "find and replace" box and after that switching tabs so the box get closed, and i need to open it again for search. it would be nice if the box will open again after the switching.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add Live Dependency Validation support for .NET Core projects

Live Dependency Validation is an excellent tool for making sure that all developers in a highly distributed team adapt to the requirements of a project architecture.

However, we're still missing this in .NET Core and .NET Standard projects in Visual Studio. Please add support for this as soon as possible.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow users to set custom AVD location In Visual Studio

Just like we can in Options - Xamarin select "Android SDK Location" and "Android NDK Location", allow users to be able to select "Android AVD Location" which will point to a .android folder of the user's choice. Thank you.

..reason, I have my avd already setup on another drive that my Android Studio already uses but I cant point to it with visual studio's "Android Device Manager"

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Make project property pages non-modal

It's often a pain and productivity loss that you can't interact with anything else when these property pages are open. Especially since when you re-open them, you often need to navigate into the deep settings heirarchy contained within.

Often when discovering include dependencies you want to be able to interact with the code while leaving the property pages open.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Toolbar "Startup Project" dropdown must show the Web Projects as well.

Startup Project dropdonw in toolbar is not showing the web projects in a list. These must visible there as well. Because Web project can be set as startup project.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • VC++ for c++ linux "Makfile project"

It would be nice to add include files to "Makefile projects" like shown here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/linux/configure-a-linux-project#include-directories-and-intellisense-support
                                        but there is no VC++ tab in the property page.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • sequence diagram not available on VS 2013 Professional why?

Not found sequence diagram generator in VS 2010 or VS 2013 Professional version.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 472 473
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base