Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please Update Web Page Module in Visual Studio 2013.

Please Update Web Page Browser Module in Visual Studio 2013 - 2015. The current one is out dated and dosent support most of the new web pages out there.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Added "abort, compile and restart" option to dialog in which Edit & Continue informs that "edits were made which cannot be compiled".

Quite often changes are made during Edit & Continue that cannot be compiled. The VS offers three choices: Edit, Ignore and Revert Edit… were, IMHO, Ignore and revert edit really are not helpful. If the change was a typo then Edit is the once to choose, but when Edit & Continue has decided that the change simply won’t pass you have to: Press Edit - Stop Debugging - Wait for the post compiling to complete - Start debugging again... which is a tedious task…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Provide MS Exchange Server for startups

Starting to provides Exchange server for startups by Microsoft Cloud allow Microsoft to connect and establish more relationships with entrepreneurs and new companies.

Messaging service and communication are the both main requirements for startups. To adopt a Email messaging platform like Exchange and support the whole company for 2 years will be the great foundation to acquire new long-term customers.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Class diagram A little improvement

the class diagram view icon Can't distinguish between static methods and normal methods,Best can change the icon color to distinguish. thanks~

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • WebBrowser. Compatibility Mode Edge by default

The WebBrowser control should run in edge mode by default or at least let us control this in the browser through a property. By default the browser seems to be running in IE 7 compatibility mode and most new websites do not render correctly.

From what I can tell the options to correct his are:
            Insert tags in the web pages. This is impossible as I don't control the internet. Change a registry key, also impossible as click once setup does not allow this.

Right now my only option is to use a 3rd party browser like cefSharp which adds…

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • show a list of recently opened solutions in Solution Explorer when no solution is currently open

When you have no solution currently open, Solution Explorer is empty. Wouldn't it make sense to show a list of recently opened solutions? The user could click on one to open the solution. There should also be a message clearly telling the user that there is no solution currently open. There should also be a link allowing the user to easily open Source Control Explorer (when VS is connected to source control).

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Improve trace logging with System.Diagnostics

Tracing with System.Diagnostics could be a lot better compared to other logging frameworks. I would really like to see the following improvements:

* Hierarchical logging. Having a TraceSource for each class would be great - but is currently not practical as each TraceSource needs separate configuration in the app.config file. It should be possible to configure all trace sources by the root TraceSource. When needed it should be possible to override the configuration for selected children and branches in the logging hierarchy.

* Exception logging. Today it is only possible to trace strings. But a proper framework should also know…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • send rakhi to india

Send Amazing Rakhi with Candies And Sweets to Pass Melody and Fun to Your Connection

Puddings are generally usually a vital facet of festivities. Regardless of whether it’s a huge affair or even a modest just one, whether it's inauguration or perhaps celebration; overlooked sugars inside one of the instances is not very probable. Closing time with a pudding or even puddings is the bash of the profitable day time. In the same way about the day connected with event desserts are available to be able to propagate sweet taste inside relationships. Sugars are also considered auspicious to end upward…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add full namespace of test for VSTest.console.exe result

When run Unit Test with MSTest, it will show full namespace of the test method in test result as below:
                    Passed MyCompany.UnitTests.BusinessEntities.PaymentCardTests

But in VSTest.consolse.exe, there just test method shown in test result:
                    Passed NewPaymentCard_PaymentList

When the test method names are not unique, we could not confirm which tests are passed and which are failed.

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Highlight the last Stack Frame accessed in the dropdown menu

The Stack Frame dropdown menu (which appears when debugging c++ applications) should have a different coloration (or at least some indication) on the current menu item that is being viewed.

It is often the case that, when trying to diagnose the cause of a break (be it a a manual or forced break point) it becomes necessary to jump between different stack frames to see what the program was doing at different levels of function calls. When the stack becomes deep it can be cumbersome to find the line in the dropdown menu associated with the current stack frame, which…

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • continue edit on on error resume next

re eanble editing around On Error Resume next please, it is really annoing now to restart anytime I made some even small correction,

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Rename should also rename referenced properties in DebuggerDisplayAttribute

As the screenshot shows, using "Rename" on a property does not affect that referenced property in the respective DebuggerDisplayAttribute.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Question regarding _set_se_translator... Is there anyway to get the source file name, function name, and line number?

I would suggest adding support where the translator function could have the function name, source file name, and the line number where the exception occurred.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Support for Auto Closing Tabs

Implement an option to check if a tab has been open for X amount of time and idle(aka you haven't used it). If so, close it (prompt for close?).
                              So you don't end up with 100 tabs open and you only use 20 of them (Numbers are just example :P )

8 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Display the name of the build in TFS build email notifications

Email notifications when build fails is a great feature and we use it team collection wide as an announcement to all members.

However, we tried to use less team projects, so in one team projects, there would be multiple projects as well as multiple builds.

The notification email would be displayed something as
                                "[Team Project's name] Build 20160702.1 failed"

It would be much better to display the actual build name like
                                "[Build's name] Build 20160702.1 failed"

This will help increase visibility and avoid confusion.

One step further would be to open up the subject of the email alert for customization.

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Perl tool

hi

I love Microsoft and I love visual studio I like add perl tool in new visual studio and new visual studio express for web

thanks

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • 1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Make the semicolon complete the IntelliSense List Members selection when editing TypeScript code in the Code Editor

When editing TypeScript code in the Code Editor, the IntelliSense List Members functionality is very useful. However, it should support more completion keys than just the Tab or Enter, like C# does.

For instance, if you are declaring a variable in TypeScript and type in the following: "var test: boolean = f", List Members shows "false" as the possible choices. In C#, you can just type the semicolon ";" and IntelliSense completes the statement to "= false;". But in TypeScript, it completes to "= f;".

Please add the semicolon (and possibly, the equal sign) as the supported keys that complete…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Qt Creator like key bindings in C++ solutions

Qt Creator like key bindings in C++ solutions.
                                        This ones are very simple to remember and use.
                                        For examle:
                                        Ctrl+W - close current document.
                                        Ctrl+K - do-all "magic" command line.
                                        F4 - toggle header/source file.
                                        Alt+<Arrow Left> - Navigate to previous position in editor.
                                        F2 - Go to declaration/implementation or go to include file.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Implement the SilverLight client runtime in TypeScript

Everything you need is there!
                                          * HTML canvas with hardware acceleration
                                          * WebSockets for client/server communication

And converting the C# code you have for SilverLight to TypeScript should be rather straight forward.

You would get a all the good things of Silverlight and it's productivity and it would work on any platform supporting HTML5.

Just do it!

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base