Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VSTS Allow Deployments to sovereign Azure Clouds

When adding an Azure endpoint to VSTS you cannot enter the ServiceManagementUrl. You need to set this value if you are going to do an automated build to one of our sovereign Azure clouds (US Gov, China, and soon Germany). for example the commercial endpoint is https://management.core.windows.net, and the US Gov endpoint is https://management.core.usgovcloudapi.net.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Git commit.template support in Visual Studio

It would be great if Visual Studio's Git integration could support the commit.template configuration.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration#committemplate-7kT8HRswI4

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Rename Variable Window

In the newly introduced Rename variable Window, the new name is being shown in black color in the dark theme. Sometimes its hard detect, so it will be helpful if you can use a lighter color when a dark theme is used

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Compatibility with older VS version For VB Programming

Can we have a setting to turn off [ & _ ] To [ & ] for VB Programming. Because of the compatibility with older VS version.

It is very important for Developer to choose new IDE or not.
          After Editing VB file in VS2015, the file will be found syntax error by other VS version (2012, 2010, 2008).

We are looking forward the new patch/ fix for that Compatibility issue.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • F5/Debug should automatically deploy the latest version when running on local machine

When building a UWP I shouldn't have to deploy and then debug each time. Debugging on my local machine should automatically deploy the latest code

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Parameterized configurations for VC++ projects/solutions

When building VC++ project/solution for several toolsets currently we create many configurations, like: v110_Debug, v110_DebugMT, v110_Debug_DynamicBoost, v110_Debug_StaticBoost, v110_ReleaseMT, v110_Release_StaticBoost, v110_Release_DynamicBoost,
              v120_Debug, v120_DebugMT, v120_Debug_DynamicBoost, v120_Debug_StaticBoost, v120_ReleaseMT, v120_Release_StaticBoost, v120_Release_DynamicBoost etc.

It is a poorly scalable solution, please provide the ability to specify a configuration parameter, or an alternative solution for that issue

13 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make Ctrl-F search box not send you back to editor after last result. This makes me accidentally delete code all the time.

Make Ctrl-F search box not send you back to editor after last result. This makes me accidentally delete code all the time. I hit enter looking for next result, but don't realize I am now deleting the last thing it found.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow users to switch users when signing in with a different user account

Currently if I try to sign in with a different user account the following error is displayed (attached):

"We were unable to establish a connection because it configured for user name@OLD.com but you attempted to connect using user name@NEW.com. To connect as a different user perform a switch user operation [...]"

This error message makes it clear that you know the user is trying to login with a different login. But instead of being to immediately take action you force the user to click okay, then go dig through menus and try to figure out how to "perform a…

14 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Figure out graceful support for switching user accounts - no more devenv /resetuserdata

Please figure out a graceful way to handle switching user accounts The vast majority of the time when I switch user accounts in VS (i.e., from my personal account to my work account) is fails and I have to use devenv /resetuserdata

The year is 2016..You are a world leader in technology. You should be able to handle multiple accounts.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Intellisense for c# conditional compilation symbols

When writing an #if in c# its hard to know what compilation symbols are defined. it would be great if intellisense could list the available ones.

8 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Short project desription to be displayed in Solution Explorer

I would like to be able to add a short description to my projects, which will display when I mouse hover over the project node in Solution Explorer.

Useful in the cases where I am not fully sure "what is this project doing"

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • XML comment tags should be fully supported in object browser and intellisense

All of the available xml tags for comments, but especially the <example> and <code> tags should be supported in object browser and intellisense tooltips.
                          For object browser, having the examples in it (and the other xml tags) will transform it into a working manual for libraries inside VS.
                          For intellisense, maybe the short tooltip should remain the same, only with a "See more..." button (if more tags exist) that will open up an enhanced view with all the tags.

The contents of the code tags should be color highlighted and formatted based on the used language.

The object browser part…

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Stop injecting AssemblyVersion.cpp into my projects

Please stop silently adding files to my project, or at least give me some way to disable that behavior on a project-by-project basis! If you need my C++/CLI project to include a particular assembly attribute, tell me what it is and I'll include it!

I have recently been plagued by two different issues caused by the injection of the system-generated AssemblyAttributes.cpp into C++/CLI projects. Here are some reasons why such file-injection is an absolutely horrible idea:
                            1. The injection process does not insure compatible compiler flags are used to build the injected file. It always uses the project default ClCompile…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Set automatic breakpoint

The issue is that e.g. my program is running and I can perform different actions in it (e.g. delete item) but I don't know what is the first function that will be executed in my project. So I need to guess and find the function first, what can be a lot of wasted time in some huge project.

It would be nice that after I perform some action in my program (e.g. delete item) it would automatically hit the "virtual" breakpoint inside the first executed function in my project.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Keep command line window open (finally!)

Starting a console project opens the console, runs and then closes the console window immediately. I understand why this happens: The program is done.

But this is not what anyone wants!

Please add a Visual Studio feature that allows us to easily keep a console window open to inspect what the program did.

This issue is a constant annoyance and trips up literally 100% of all new .NET developers. Please treat this item with priority. It is amazing to me that such an egregious usability problem has not been solved for 15 years in .NET.

15 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • TFS -> View History -> Actual Version should be shown bold!

TFS -> View History -> Actual Version should be shown bold!

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Improve UX and discoverability of changing IIS Express properties

Veteran Visual Studio users know where to go to modify IIS Express settings like authentication and SSL. New users do not nor is it discoverable or intuitive. Instead of expecting to find the configuration on the Properties -> Web page, they Google how to do it to find that it's actually under the Properties window of the selected Web project, wasting time.

Please move the configuration of IIS express totally to the Properties -> Web area to make it easier to discover and change settings.

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • I think it would be a great Idea for all VB.Net developers if you can add a setting just like in C# to remove the new line on ENTER key

I think it would be a great Idea for all VB.Net developers if you can add a setting just like in C# to remove the new line on ENTER key press for the Intellisence

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Drag and Drop horizontal and vertical screen position

Hi,

Why isnt it possible to drag and drop the screen code horizontally under two screens divided like my screenshot in attach file?

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • create some common platform for run-time sharing data between two Microsoft Products

Hi,

I am .net developer having 10 years of development experience. Sometimes we are facing issue like

1) when some component / website was developed on vb.net and some component was developed in c#.net. so its very difficult to share data, specially session between two web languages. kindly request you to create some create some common platform (frontend side, not from SQL Server site) for run-time sharing data between two Microsoft Products

Awaiting for your positive reply.
                                          Regards
                                          Kapil Dave
                                          http://in.linkedin.com/in/kapilkumardave

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base