Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Save solution file with "Save as type".

I am using Visual Studio 2015 while everyone else on my team is still using Visual Studio 2013 for reasons that adhere to company policies. Eventually everyone will be on VS 2015. It would be nice if I can create or open solutions and save as type VS 2013. That way, when I check in my solution into source control, my developers can open the solution with their VS 2013.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make update notifications less intrusive

Update notifications are a nuisance currently because almost all of those little updates are irrelevant to any given developer. I'd say 95% of updates are irrelevant to me.

Please find a way to make this feature a little less annoying. Basically, the only thing I care about is the quarterly updates. I want a flashy notification for that.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • intellisense in cross-platform (android...)

Develop intellisense (help in writing code) for cross-platform (Java, Android, ..) in C# coding.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make the property list in the Designer more inteligent

When using the designers I think that statistically programmers change the name and text of the control more often than any other property. Why do we have to scroll down the list of properties to find the name or the text every time we need to set or view these properties? Would it not just be simplifier to have the most often used properties on top of the list in a non scrollable area. Or even better, be able to mark properties that we want displayed in this fixed non scrollable area so we can set our own desired properties.

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Make the designer a bit more inteligent when dealing with abstract class

Make the designer a bit more intelligent when dealing with abstract classes. When I have a single .cs file that is abstract and click on it, the designer reports that it cannot create an instance of the abstract class. This is a pain, for every time I need to open the simple single .cs file with no design associated to it. I have to choose the option ¬view code¬ and not just click it. I think the designer should realize that this is a single file and that no design view needs to be displayed and just display the code…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • C++ IDE Group Header/Cpp tabs

Add the option to automatically or/and manually to be able to group Header/Cpp tabs in the C++ IDE.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow WebView to be updated through PlayStore

Actually it is possible to install PlayService/Store and then download the updated webview. But installed apps does not pick up the updated webview, but they stick to the embedded one.

It will be very useful to test webapps against the real world available webview.

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Typescript - Autocompletion for triple-slash directives

If would be nice if triple-slash directives were auto-completable using ctrl+space.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Visual Studio Blend support for Xamarin Forms

Adding support for Blend for Xamarin Forms App will be great. It'll help to add animations in a cross-platform way.

48 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Provide an option to toggle off the rename quick action

When I am changing which variable I pass to a method or swapping out a term in an expression, I do not want to rename the variable I replaced. I find the automatic highlighting of the identifier I changed and the quick action light bulb suggesting that I rename all references incredibly distracting and highly annoying. If I want to rename an identifier I'll use F2, otherwise I'm just editing code and if I renamed something used somewhere else that is on me to deal with.

I've tried searching for a way to disable the rename quick action and have…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • bring back BRIEF editor emulation support

Currently I open files in VS 2008 to edit using the BRIEF emulation but compile in VS 2015.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Allow Ternary and Null Coalescing operators to return values

If I want to shortcut my method to return null whenever my object A.B.C is null, I would have to write:

if(A?.B?.C == null) {
                          return null;
                          }

The shorthand A?.B?.C ?? return null; would improve the readability of the code and provide a great shorthand.

Note that this isn't equivalent to return A?.B?.C as I want the method to continue execution if the value isn't null. Throwing a ArgumentException would behave in the same manner.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Replace Interactive Window with LINQPad features

I used for a while Interactive Window but it is not very comfortable. LINQPad is a great example of REPL tool and is even more. It supports multiple languages, debugging, great visualization of query results and, NuGet packages and many more. To read and write code in LINQPad ist definitely more comfortable like in Interactive Window. It will great to have this inside of Visual Studio and I think it will be good replacement for Interactive Window.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • VSO - Build Step - Be able to upload and run a webtest into the"Cloud-based Web Performance Test" Step

When setting up the "Cloud-based web performance test" step in the build process, I want to be able to upload the .webtest file I have created... It would be nice for the step to run my web performance test on every new build, and the xml file be able to references .cs files pointing to custom json extraction and validation rules i have built.

The step I am talking about:
                              https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/p/quickcltbuildtaskhelp/

And as always to make it perfect, have the completion of the test be followed up by a pretty report like app insight uses to monitor availability and responsiveness…

5 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Give me a Mini Solution Explorer Where I Drag a Subset of Files

I generally work with a limited number of files as I focus on specific functionality. I spend far to much time searching through Solution Explorer for the ones I want.

Please let me drag the files I want into a Mini Solution Explorer (folderless) where I can find them quickly.

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Continue but temporarily ignore active breakpoints (as in chrome tools)

In chrome debugging tools when halted on a javascript breakpoint you can click the 'resume script execution' button which then continues until the script finishes or until it hits another breakpoint (just like VS debugger behaviour).

If, rather than clicking the button you press and hold it, an option appears which if clicked, continues execution but temporarily ignores any further breakpoints even though the breakpoints are still active.

Maybe VS already has this continue-but-temporarily-ignore behaviour but I haven't found it. If not, I think this would be a great addition to Visual Studio. At the moment if I'm halted on…

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Microsoft VB6 programming - reopen this suggestion and update VB6

The suggestion to bring back and update the classic VB6 programming language is the most popular in Visual Studio UserVoice with over 5200 comments.

Please now re-open this suggestion
                                    https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi
                                    and allow posters to vote as well as comment.

VB6 programming isn't going to go away just because Microsoft declines a suggestion on UserVoice. Allow voting to see the strength of demand for this suggestion.

Then bring back VB6, update it to include the changes made in the VBA programming language (v7.x) and extend it to allow "compiling" to JavaScript.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

296 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      21 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Generate native libraries from xamarin

Now that xamarin has been acquired by Microsoft, and that Xamarin Studio is "free", I can ask this here :

would it be possible to generate native libraries from Xamarin ?

For example, in my company we had a c# algorithm, and we wanted to execute that algorithm from our iOS and Android native apps. Since the algorithm could not be packaged as a xamarin app but as a library, we could not load it from our native apps.

An ugly hack that worked on iOS, was to follow the following steps :
                                      1/ Packaging the iOS native app as…

9 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • please save vc++ classview folter in text file and svn can manage it

I work at company and home,and use svn for sync.
                                        But I noticed vs2015 save a lot of information in ProjectDir/.vs

the problem is vs2015 save some volatile info and static info in .vs
                                        this make svn useless or hard to copy with.

for eample,I create class view folder,hope to submit this changes to svn,so I add .vs folder to svn
                                        But I noticed even I open a c++ filter,.svn folder is changed. there is no point to save this to svn

the problem is vs2015 combind volatile info and static info in the same project config file.
                                        I hope…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Support Code Coverage for Universal Apps (Windows 10 App)

Unit testing experience for Win 10 universal apps is very bad. I was not able to use NUnit 3.x and even when I use MSTest, Code Coverage tool in VS 2015 Enterprise (Update1 / Update2) produces no results.

Please support code coverage analysis.

35 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base