Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. quick action and macro

I create an macro in file a.h, and include a.h in b.h. When i use it to class member, vs2015 will note me to create an function to this macro.
    I think it's an mistake.
    root_path: cc
    file a.h path: cc/cc/a.h
    file b.h path: cc/bb/b.h
    include type in b.h : #include "../cc/a.h“

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow the “Report Data” window to remain open in other areas of the project.

I wish that the “Report Data” window could remain open while I'm in other areas of the project. It would be really helpful to be able to see the list of parameter names while I’m writing the code that passes the parameter values to the report.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • tv hook up

since loading windows 10 a lot of programs should be removed stick to what was goo in the past and better it these new programs are tempermental and not near as good will place a list later for now i want to know what can be done to connect compter to tv since loading windows 10 have not found a work around or setting to even connect

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ability to jump or go to next and previous comments in a TFS code review

I would like the ability to jump or go to next and previous comments in a TFS code review.

If there are lots of files in a TFS code review, the comments may not be visible in email notifications for example, and so the user must open the code review and find the new comment by scrolling.

Having the ability to automatically jump to the next comment would help make it easier to find comments.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Allow us to repair specific components of Visual Studio

Repairing Visual Studio takes a long time. It would be a lot faster if we could repair only selected components.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Make Visual Studio Accessible

There are certainly indications that Microsoft has put efforts into accessibility.

However, it seems like about 95% of MS programmers give it no thought.

For example, I'm unable to import settings into VS 2015 - the import option is not visible on the dialog.

Perhaps there's some way around this (either for importing specifically, or for "truncate dialogs", generally), of which I'm unaware.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Increase height of list box in Export Settings Wizard (it's absurd)

In the Export Settings Wizard, one selects settings to be exported.

The list, when expanded, is perhaps 25 items (maybe more, maybe less).

However, (at least for VS2013, and with my Windows settings), only THREE lines are visible at a time (which may be less than 3 items, due to nesting).

It's tedious and difficult to even scroll and not miss entries.

Yet, there is plenty of wasted window "real-estate". The listbox (the only control, other than "next" and "cancel" buttons) occupies perhaps 20% of the window height.

It strikes me as ludicrous.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • 1) Allow Visual Studio to export only Fonts and Colors (I want to xfer from 2013 to 2015)

It seems absurd to me that I can't export just my fonts and colors preferences.

I can't even tell which sub-category of "General Settings" the fonts and colors fall under - none seem applicable.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Add navigate to the file in the solution tree menu item (command).

On the right click menu on the file tab add a menu item that will navigate to the open file in the tree. Many times I have the code file open but need to find the file in the tree. Having a menu item that says "Find in solution tree" or something such as that would save a lot of time.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Create a Ubiquitous .NET Client Application Development Model

This vote is for developers who wish to see the idea of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model created by Microsoft and the Visual Studio team.

A ubiquitous .NET client application development model is a model that is defined in .NET-based technologies and is able to run in a multitude of runtime environments -- both native-compiled (store-hosted) and web-hosted.

A *very* rough image of the vision can be found here:
                      http://i0.wp.com/blog.developers.win/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Vision.png

The goal is to enable *one* .NET Client Application Project to build deliverables for the following platforms:
                      1) Windows 10
                      2) Legacy Windows
                      3) *nix (Unix/Linux)
                      4) Droid …

4,244 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        under review  ·  117 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Popping Values when Copy/Paste Context in debug mode

In the IDE editor when I copy a bunch of sql parameters, var, Objects etc... up to and include maybe a sql command. The text just has a list of parameters and then the call to the sql command. Sure I can look at the locals or create some watches if I want to see the values. But I'd rather everything just POP the values when I copy the text. Maybe hit ctrl shift C or double click the c. Then all the values pop like this: OracleParameter myparam = new OracleParameter("paramName", employeFirstName: "Ronald");

In the original file "Ronald" is…

0 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Enable Roslyn-Powered Data ASTs and Data Views

This vote is for developers who support the idea of Roslyn-Powered Data ASTs and Data Views. Data Views are a conceptual improvement to the way Visual Studio presents data files to a developer, and how a developer works with that data. Data Views are powered by Data ASTs, which are ASTs (abstract syntax trees) that describe data in much the same way that code-based ASTs describe code.

Data ASTs and the Data Views that they enable allow teams to pick a data format to use in their project, while enabling individual developers within the team to view the data in…

29 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Enable Roslyn-Powered Code Views

This vote is for developers who support the idea of Roslyn-Powered Code Views. Code Views are a conceptual improvement to the way Visual Studio renders code to a developer, and how a developer works with that code.

Opening a file: To load a Code View, code is loaded into memory and parsed as a Roslyn AST. From there, it is processed through a developer's Code Formatting Profile to render the code to the developer as they prefer it. This includes such things as spacing (spaces or tabs), documentation (on or off), and characters/symbols around fields (underscores or even Hungarian notation…

73 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow local NuGet package sources to be secured using Azure Active Directory

A local/private Nuget Package server can be hosted on Azure as a web app. However, I think .... if the web app is (public &) secured with Azure Active Directory, the developer is no longer able to connect to the packages from Visual Studio 2015.

Please could you allow Visual Studio to connect to NuGet packages protected by Azure Active Directory authentication.

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Make C#/Visual Basic- Silverlight export output as HTML 5 canvas + javascript + CSS!!!! [Adobe Flash Pro exports to HTML 5 canvas!!]

Why Microsoft doesn't include something in Visual Studio that will let developers program an application in C#/VB -Silverlight (XAMLExpression Blend) and export the app as HTML5 canvas + javascript CSS.... basically like Adobe Flash Pro is doing with their product by allowing the options to create HTML 5 canvas output!!! Do you know that adobe is so focus on this that if you open Flash Pro and click new project the first options that shows up is .. output as HTML 5 canvas!!!

The reason: PRODUCTIVITY It takes a fraction of the time and effort to create the same application…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Make C#/Visual Basic- Silverlight export output as HTML 5 canvas + javascript + CSS!!!! [Adobe Flash Pro exports to HTML 5 canvas!!]

Why Microsoft doesn't include something in Visual Studio that will let developers program an application in C#/VB -Silverlight (XAMLExpression Blend) and export the app as HTML5 canvas + javascript CSS.... basically like Adobe Flash Pro is doing with their product by allowing the options to create HTML 5 canvas output!!! Do you know that adobe is so focus on this that if you open Flash Pro and click new project the first options that shows up is .. output as HTML 5 canvas!!!

The reason: PRODUCTIVITY It takes a fraction of the time and effort to create the same application…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Fix VS2015 IDE bug where go-to-definition doesn't work when using tabs instead of spaces

After upgrading to VS2015 if your IDE settings for languages are to use tabs for indenting instead of spaces then using the F12/go-to-definition feature does not work at all.

This is unacceptable and needs to be fixed ASAP.

You can workaround it by switching the setting to spaces but naturally I use and prefer tabs and this is a regression hence the urgency of the fix.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • 1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Have the ability to cancel publish/build/compile process

When an unintentional build, deployment, publish or similar type of task is started by accident, there is no visual way to stop the task, often hitting ctrl-break or whatever other key commands can stop the task does nothing, or the the user cannot rememeber what to type in time before the process completes.

If the process is unintended - for example, publishing to a target platform - it can cause unintended side effects - so it is important to be able to stop them quickely and efficiently.

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base