Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix VSIX extensions so they actually work with .NET Standard projects

I have a very tool-centric development approach. I use ten different custom tools, all written in C# and exposed as Single File Generators.

Due to my cross platform requirements, I have moved my code to .NET Standard and .NET Core, this despite knowing that the code generators will not work on these projects due to a bug in Visual Studio (reported). I have had to make use of another tool I have that reads solutions and project files and generates make files from them. Hopefully, this is a temporary work-around. But it gets worse.

It turns out that it is…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Acquire Codepen.io

Incredible client development productivity

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Create an extension/feature to enable file path Intellisense in VS for JS files

VS Code has a very neat extension called Path Intellisense(https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=christian-kohler.path-intellisense)

It enables intellisense for file path in JS files when we type ./../ style file path. I would really like it if something similar gets implemented in VS 2017 too.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Preserve dropdown selections (platform) between target operating systems (don't clear them)

Don't clear platform each time the target operating system is changed in xamarin projects.

I toggle regularly between platforms and OS and It is a pain to have to select operating system then architecture. If I select in the other order it clears the **** architecture and I end up targeting the wrong platform....

Please change this it drives me crazy.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Display generated souce code files in a readonly view.

Source code that is generated by a tool should be presented in a readonly view. For example, if you add a resx file to a project, there will be generated code file for accessing the resources by name. Generated code files like this often have a boilerplate warning at the top that you shouldn't edit them. However, there is nothing preventing someone from accidentally ignoring that warning and modifying the code. The issue, of course, is that any modification will be overwritten the next time the code is regenerated. It would be nice if the IDE did more to prevent…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Easily switch from a project in Solution Explorer project to the corresponding property sheet in the property manager

Right-click on a project in the Solution Explorer view, select something like "Goto to corresponding Property Sheets". This switches to the Property Manager view with the correct project selected and open, showing the build configurations.

0 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • A manually-implemented setter, available only to the constructor

C# 6.0 introduced auto-implemented read-only properties that can be set only from the constructor:

public object MyProperty { get; }

However, we do not have the option to validate the value before assigning it, except in the constructor itself - definitely not its responsibility (imagine validating 50 properties inside the constructor).

So I suggest having a setter that is available only to the constructor. Something like (but certainly not necessarily):

public object MyProperty
                {
                get { /* getting logic */ }
                ctor_set
                {
                /* setting logic */
                }
                }

This is better than "private set" since it is accessible only…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add preview of files in "Team Explorer - Changes" similar to "Solution Explorer"

In Visual Studio when we select file in "Solution Explorer" then we get preview of file. We can then use arrows to select different files and see previews.

However this doesn't work like that when you want to see changes you are going to commit (In "Team Explorer - Changes" window) And arguably this feature would be more useful there (to quickly see changes you are going to commit, similar to Commit window in "Git Extensions" project).

My proposition is to add this preview functionality from "Solution Explorer" to "Team Explorer - Changes" window. It's more useful there and it…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • 1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • "Locked Mutex/Critical-section" callstack window

I'd like to have "Locked Mutex/CriticalSection" callstack window for C++ in msvc. When debugging, you sometimes end with deep callstacks and have to backtrack down through dozens of functions, seeing where mutexes are locked. That can be time-consuming, since you manually need to reach back through your entire callstack, through all code before the functions called ( which can be quite a lot). So, it would be very convenient if there was an easy way to see which mutexes are locked at the current location in your code. Would have to work, so that if I switch the callstack-window to…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • 1-888-242-2850 Tomtom Customer Service Number

Tomtom GPS Toll-Free 1-888-242-2850 Tomtom Customer Service Number Tomtom live chat@@Tomtom Support email@@Tomtom address@@Call Tomtom@@Tomtom Support usa@@Tomtom Contact us@@Tomtom repair Service@@Tomtom Help Phone Number@@Tomtom Customer Service canada@@Tomtom usa Support@@Tomtom Helpline Number@@Tomtom canada Customer Service@@Tomtom Support email address@@Tomtom email Support@@Tomtom update Service@@Contact Tomtom canada@@Tomtom GPS repair Service@@Tomtom usa Phone Number@@Tomtom usa Customer Service@@Tomtom Contact canada@@Tomtom Support telefon@@gp Customer Service@@Tomtom Service hotline@@Tomtom Support hotline@@Tomtom Customer Service email@@Tomtom Helpline Phone Number@@how to Contact Tomtom@@Tomtom Contact Number usa@@Tomtom canada Phone Number@@Tomtom Customer Service Phone Number usa@@Tomtom Phone Number usa@@Tomtom corporate headquarters@@Tomtom Customer Support canada@@Contact Tomtom usa@@Tomtom Customer Service Number usa@@Tomtom Contact Phone Number usa@@Tomtom…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • How to fix Smart test failed Error Code 303 in HP? Call 1-877-227-5694

Steps to resolve Smart test failed Error Code 303 in HP Computer and Laptops. Contact HP Support Number 1 (877) 227-5694 to Fix HP Smart Test Failed Error Code 303, HP Smart Test Failed Error, Fix HP Computer Errors, hard-drive Error Code 303, Read More.. http://www.hpsupportphonenumber.com/blog/how-to-fix-smart-test-failed-error-code-303-in-hp/

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • make your designer scrollable. It is really anoying when I need to work with bigger windows forms

I think that you should make windows forms designer wizard scrollable so it is easier to work with bigger windows.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Faster VS2017 updates

Why have I to stop working for 2 hours for each VS2017 update? Why does it seems to me that VS is installing itself fully, all over again?
                              Differential updates, does it ring a bell? This is starting to become ridiculous...

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Visual Studio Update

The internal Visual Studio Update mechanism is awful.
                                When you just start VS you get the yellow flag with an update.

click, close, click, wait, click, restart VS...

Too many clicks until you can get productive.

If the updates are no longer coming through Windows Update then deliver them by a Windows Service Task in the background, when VS isn't in use.

There'll be a greater chance that you have the most recent version without bothering in click arias an interrupting work.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with Visual Studio 2017 - Great IDE.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add Watch should add variable to most recent watch window

Currently, Add Watch *always* adds the variable to Watch 1.

So if I've currently got Watch 2, 3, or 4 visible when I use Add Watch, the variable is added to Watch 1 and this window is activated (and opened if necessary).

What I'd really like is for the variable to be added to the most recently visited Watch window (either clicked in or typed in). More than one Watch window might be visible at any time, so it wouldn't be possible to go on visibility alone.

I rarely use Add Watch because of this. Far better to just add…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Купете оригинален паспорт, шофьорска книжка, лична карта, IELTS, виза, свидетелство за раждане, училищни дипломи, брачен сертификат, зелена

Купете оригинален паспорт, шофьорска книжка, лична карта, IELTS, виза, свидетелство за раждане, училищни дипломи, брачен сертификат, зелена карта на САЩ ((mark10jane1@gmail.com)) и много други документи.
                                    Свържете се с нас: (((mark10jane1@gmail.com)))
                                    Кандидатствайте за истински регистър за Passport, Visa, Driving Licence, ID CARDS, брачни сертификати, дипломи и т.н. за продажба. Паспорт, гражданство, лични карти, шофьорска книжка, дипломи, дипломи, сертификати, налични услуги. Туристически и бизнес визови услуги на разположение на жителите на всички 50 държави и всички националности по света. Ние сме уникални производители на автентични висококачествени паспорти, истински истински бази данни за регистрирани и нерегистрирани паспорти и други…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • SQL Server Schema Comparision

sql schema compare extremely slow when check and uncheck
                                      When we check / Uncheck the List of Objects Generated by Schema Comparision, it may be executing some function at BackEnd.

This is very time consuming for the user to wait for just checking and unchecking the Objects

This function can be avoided at check and uncheck Event, and placed at the update button.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Interface Method Notification

Hi, i'm kinda new here, and really like C# and VS but I've found some points where it can be improved(or I think so ^^).

Interfaces - it would be nice to have some warning or notification in VS2017 that(document as ICopy).Copy(); going to use Main Void Method if none of his own is declared.

Visual Studio have its own Notification by Debug it could be placed here.

For example a notification or warning by Visual Studio in Debuging mode(at Warnings or Notifications):
                                        "Interface ICopy have none of its own Copy.Method and will use main method from Class.Document"

using System;

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Merge errors

When you perform a merge the drop down listing for the target version is sorted alphabetically / numerically. My suggestion is the default the merge target to the same folder which the original branch was made to. Currently you get the "from" branch folder and the "to" branch folder listed and it defaults to the "from" which can lead to a lot of accidental human errors. As it stands now you have to manually select the correct "to" folder every time you do a merge which is far from ideal.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base