Visual Studio IDE

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Validate csproj after manually edited

Sometimes after editing a csproj-file it can be invalid or unsupported when we are trying to add it to a solution. It would be great to validate the project file or get more detailed error log where it goes wrong in the file.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Generate the information file in attachment when runing tests with Web Access

When running tests with Web Access, no files are generated in the attachment of a test result. When running tests with MTM, 3 log files are generated. These files are useful for auditors

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • 6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add support for not asking for 2 step authentication code on this computer

Every so often, you need to provide your credentials again to renew your visual studio license. Whenever I do that, I'm also asked to provide the 2-step authentication code. I always check the do not ask again on this computer checkbox, but doesn't remember I checked it.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • ASHX files incorrect indent in vs2015

In VS2015, ASHX files when added to a "WebApplication" project creates a code behind cs file.

When adding a new ASHX file to just a new website only a ASHX file is created.

When editing a pure ASHX file the indenting is not correct. The IDE seems to not know how to deal with ASHX files. No code collapse/expand, regions, etc.

Please refer to:
            https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b5c50c95-4f68-4072-8da0-326b15cefd1c/vs2015-ashx-files-double-indent?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Thank you!

98 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Enable Pasting Images From Clipboard into User Stories/Bugs/Tasks

On the TFS web portal, I want to be able to snip an image of an error message or on-screen issue and paste it directly into the Detail or History text areas. I don't want to have to save the image first--just CTRL+V. This functionality is available on the desktop client and is a more streamlined workflow for me. The image has no value to me out of context and I don't need to keep it.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Please provide better way to ignore null pointers

Using the ? operator to test for null pointers is a step in the right direction, but it is only part of the equation. I think a better way would be to set an attribute or something such that any attempt to read or access a null pointer would either result in assigning a null value or in doing nothing. In this way, a program can simply ignore nulls and not "bonb" just because there is some null data. Making it an attribute would allow programmers like me who always take this approach to have greatly simplified code.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Extracting/searching contents should be based on the active selection

Variable, method, class extraction... should be based on the currently selected block of text when there is one.

This also applies to Find files/Find usages.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • 9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add support for Gradle-based solutions

Sometimes using MSBuild Projects is very painful (especially with cross-platform projects). That's why my idea is to support Gradle projects natively by Visual Studio. Despite Gradle having tasks to generate MSBuild projects, loading them is very, very painful.

At this moment, I think that all of you will agree, Visual Studio is THE BEST IDE available. That's why I don't want to abandon it. Gradle support could help with that.

11 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Anthony Cangialosi
                        Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

• Cache Entity queries that use List .Contains

Currently in Entity Framework, if you use a List.Contains to query for your data, the SQL query will not be cached causing such a performance hit on the server generating the SQL that it is not even a realistic option to use the List.Contains. This limitation is a huge drawback of using Entity Framework, and if this type of generated SQL could be cached then it would be a huge improvement for EF.

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make it easier for UK people who develop WINDOWS software to but VS 2015 NOT more expensive

Buying the latest version of Visual Studio in the UK is now a nightmare.

No one in the UK, apart from Microsoft, seems to sell the MSDN Pro subscription any more (I assume it is not worth their while)

It costs 50% more to buy the MSDN pro subscription in the UK than in the US (both on-line).

Where has the DVD version gone. I have a 4mb Internet connection and can not download the software.

Please make it worth while for professional individual developers to keep developing software that runs on your operating systems.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • VB6 programming: Waking a sleeping giant - MSDN magazine article https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt632280

The February 2016 edition of the Microsoft MSDN magazine has an article by David Platt "Don't Get Me Started - VB6: Waking a Sleeping Giant"
                            https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt632280

Platt suggests developing a new version of VB6 (which he names VB*) that compiles to Javascript and HTML5.

Platt says "The VB* programming model would conceptually resemble the ASP.NET Web Forms model, in which controls render their content as HTML. But that rendering requires ASP.NET on the server side, and VB* needs to avoid depending on any particular server. Therefore, VB* will compile down to independent pages of HTML5 elements and JavaScript code, just…

2,004 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              227 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • "open to the side" shortcut when selecting file with ctrl+tab

when I am switching to another file using keyboard shortcut "ctrl+tab" (on OSX) it would be great if I could open the file to the side, for eg for quick compare or when I'll be working with 2 files side by side.

I also couldn't find any shortcut to change focus between the 2, or 3 panels

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Please make it more obvious whether Visual Studio has focus or not. For example, change the color of the title bar.

It's not very easy to tell whether Visual Studio has focus. The only change is that the text on the title bar is more gray. I would be much easier to tell if the whole title bar changed color instead.

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Fix window title when cloaking branches

When cloaking a branch in the Source Control Explorer and VS is deleting files on the harddrive, the window with the progress bar has "Get Progress" as a title. Certainly a minor bug, but easy to fix =)

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Ensure the output from ClassInitialize can be seen when using .runsettings file

MsTest - if you use a .testsettings file you can see the debug/console output from ClassInitalize, but MS now actively encourage using a .runsettings file however when using this this output is never available, only the output from inside each individual test.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Need to have SecureString in to .NET Core.

For writing apps that need separate login, this is a must to pass security audits and stopping us from creating UWP apps and we are stuck with old WPF based apps. This should have been the first migrated to .NET Core, can't believe it was missed/ignored!

18 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add computed variable names to nmake

Most of the other differences between make/gnumake and nmake can be worked around fairly easily, except for this:

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Computed-Names.html

This would be a step closer to allowing developers to write cross platform makefiles (ideally nmake would accept all valid make syntax, rather than just a subset).

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • 1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base