Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide the ability to see test run warnings because of DeploymentItem files missing for example

Provide the ability to see test run warnings because of DeploymentItem files missing for example.

In previous versions of Visual Studio, the "Test View" displayed warnings and indicated when DeploymentItem files were missing for example.

However, it doesn't seem that Visual Studio 2012/2013 has this feature and so it requires a little more time to troubleshoot and resolve.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • to change Expect100Continue default value to be False

In the current day and age, it's no longer a good idea for .NET web clients to use the Expect100Continue header by default.

By doing so, the client is wasting an unnecessary round trip to the server instead of just sending in the entire HTTP message with headers and body.

I would like to suggest to change the default value of Expect100Continue to be false.
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.servicepointmanager.expect100continue(v=vs.110).aspx

24 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Visual Cortana

Technology is growing like anything. I wish to have a great feature in coming versions of visual studio. Idea is to transform user created algorithm to .Net code. Just like the control drag and drop. The system needs to be so intelligent in transforming the user idea.

A feature like the Cortana in windows 8.1. When user asks for something cortana brings the desired results.

Secondly I would like to have a touch version of visual studio. So that this version can be used in Windows hybrid desktop/laptop models.

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Provide pure HTML5/CSS3/JS project template

No References
          No Propertities
          No Web.config
          No buiilding at all

105 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            6 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add DateTimeOffset.UnixEpoch

This would help in many scenarios, from working with HttpCookie, to interop, to unit tests, etc, etc.

Simply,

namespace System {
            partial class DateTimeOffset {

public static readonly DateTimeOffset UnixEpoch = new DateTimeOffset(1970, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, TimeSpan.Zero);

}
            }

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make TypeScript compilation an option for client side scripting instead of Javascript

The current client side scripting in Javascript is very error prone since Javascript isn't a strongly typed language and is very error prone when creating client side scripts. Providing the option to use TypeScript instead of Javascript would enable strong type checking as well as numerous other advantages at the same time as compiling down to Javascript at runtime. This can be done currently but only for modules and isn't natively available as part of Lightswitch.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add better refactoring capabilities and interactivity to the code editor.

Using this IDE is an inefficient way to code. So much is manual. Intellisense is fine, but the only way to get any decent ability to refactor code is to buy a Resharper license. Jetbrains is the leader in the space, but even Eclipse has better refactoring than Visual Studio. And along with this add more interactivity in the code editor. Rather than list all the wonderful possibilities, download a free copy of Jetbrains' IntelliJ product and see all the efficiencies they have added, and follow suit. Visual Studio out of the box has so little ability to do refactoring,…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Visual Studio Monthly

I really like the concept that Adobe is going with with their Creative Cloud. Now I can get their entire suite for $50/month. Before, this was unobtainable for me. Logos Bible Systems is the same way. I pay $40/month for some amazing software with massive amounts of resources. What I like is that these programs sit on MY machine rather than in the cloud. I don't have to worry about whether my browser is not wanting to respond or whatever. What if Cloud Basic became basically Visual Studio Express and Cloud Professional became Visual Studio Professional (for $45/month) with a…

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Coded UI suport for SAP as SAp is where most of the tests are automated and people are ready to invest in automaiton

Enterprise applications like SAP and AX are long term investments and IT managers are spending their money for automaton as the ROI is good and that's where MS VS also should focus their energy to make Coded UI as the preferred automation tool and win against competition like QTP and Renorex

11 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow shared projects to be used outside of Universal Apps

The new shared projects released in VS 2013 Update 2 are great for Universal Apps, but would be just as great if they could be created and added as references in other scenarios. This would make code sharing much easier since it currently requires linked files and/or keeping all project files in the same folder as the source.

31 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add a "??=" operator to C#

Add an operator that assigns the value of the right operand to the left operand when the left operand is null. For example:

string message = null;
                        message ??= "Hello, World!"; // sets 'message' to "Hello, World!" since 'message' was null.
                        message ??= "Goodbye, World!"; // leaves 'message' set to "Hello, World!" since 'message was not null.

The example above uses strings but would apply to any reference/nullable type.

Currently, the best alternative that we have for this in C# is:
                        message = message ?? "Hello, World!";

Thanks,
                        Blake

75 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Improve testsettings editing dialog so it runs decently and doesn't hang

When I edit a test settings file (for builds or using with Code UI/Selenium tests), Visual Studio is very slow and I get the loading screen a lot. It's easier to change the file in a text editor.

Also when I use the manage Test controllers under Roles (we use VM Ware to manage our test agents) and close the dialog after making a change, it often crashes Visual Studio.

As a user of Visual Studio, I would like this feature to not be a pain to use.

Thanks!

8 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow Visual Studio 2013 online license to be refreshed from command line or automatically if possible

Starting with Visual Studio 2012 when MSDN subscription runs under MAPS. Users are forced to an online license.
                            This causes issues when Visual Studio is installed/used on a build server.
                            As one is forced to manually start Visual Studio on the build server now and then in order to refresh the license data. Not doing so will after a while result in builds failing due to license period being expired.

37 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • I suggest improve the Visual Studio 2012 design

I suggest improve the Visual Studio 2012 design.

The design of Visual Studio 2010 was great, you can continue with it or make some changes.

Visual Studio without colors is so unclear, and uncomfortable to work with.

I suggest to give Visual Studio 2012 default colors.

Thank you,
                              Rafael Millis

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • CI in Visual Studio Online: Webpage that cycles through all results

Xcode has a continuous build integration that eases CI setups on a OSX server. MS has Visual Studio Online with similar capabilities. However Xcode has a cool webpage that cycles through the latest build result of each project. We display this on a monitor on a wall in the room of our iOS team. I really like it but I couldn't find anything similar for Visual Studio Online. Please compare the attached image for a hint how that looks like.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Programmatic device orientation for Coded UI for windows phone

When writing Coded UI tests, it's sometimes useful to force the phone into Landscape or Portrait - as different UI elements can be visible in the different orientations.

10 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Add new string literal that contains Razor code (for example between «»)

Is time to move forward from String.Format() and inline conditionals, with the new Roslyn would be awesome if we can use some "kind" of Razor in any C# code

var msg = String.Format("Hi {0} you have won {1} credits", name, creditsWon);

How much better it will be:

var msg = «Hi @name you have won @creditsWon credits»

You can provice intellisense and also an HTML version:

var msg = @«<div style="margin:10px;">Hi @name you have won <b>@creditsWon</b> credits</div>»

That option must be multiline too.

33 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • socket support for PCL(.Net 4.X, Windows 8.X, Windows Phone 8.X)

Currently it is not supported to write code that uses sockets and share it between .Net and Windows Apps. The best solution I found so far was to define a Interface for the Socket in a Portable Class Library and create additional Projects for every platform that implements this interface. This makes it uncomfortable to write or use libraries that needs sockets and target multiple Platforms.

12 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Adding usings to the project on save.

Instead of manually having to add using statements which maybe missing. Add the usings when the developer save the solution, project, file.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • HTML report for web performance test

We use web performance scripts to create a automation test for HTTP URLs. We want to share the result with rest of the team who don't have Visual Studio installed. When the test is run the result is stored in trx file normally. Unless you open the trx file in Visual Studio, there is no way get a comprehensive report. The trx file only contains result overview when opened as xml.

I would like to have a feature for exporting the entire test result to HTML or Excel where I should be able to find the HTTP requests passed/failed and…

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base