Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow foldername\file searches in Solution Explorer

This would make finding items in large solutions much easier. I know I'm looking for all Views for the Users controller so being able to type Views\Users would save heap of time for deep/long folder structures

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Keep Prioritization in Backlog with Tasks View

When viewing backlog items with tasks, the system will not keep the prioritization of any backlog items that don't already have tasks associated with them.

The ability to retain the correct prioritization when viewing these backlog items is very important.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add text hyphenation support to Windows Runtime XAML

XAML in Windows 8.1 has many text layout features - with one glaring exception: there is no support for hyphenation. Now, this may not be so bad in English, which has relatively short words, but languages like German or Danish make heavy use of compound words. Words can get very long and thus hyphenation is needed - especially on small screens.
        With the new Universal App Platform in Windows, this is going to become far more relevant, as you no longer know what size you app can run at.
        This would also bring feature parity with HTML/JS apps, which already…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow triggering release from build server in different RM server

Today we may have continuous deployment, installing a RM client in the build machine. That RM Client will point to only one RM server. Would be good if we could not lock the RM server with the client, and allow the customer to decide what RM server to release in the build definition.

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make VS aware of what is installed/availeble in/on a VM, CS, WebsSite in Azure and automatically include everything that is missing

With the osFamily defined for a role there should be no problem finding out what exactly is available on VMs running the instances for that role.

So if any of the projects referenced by the AzureCloudServiceProject has any references to any DLLs that are not available in Azure those references should be automatically be marked with CopyLocal=true so that if something work on my machine when I develop and debug, it will also work when deployed to Azure.

Of course VisualStudio.com-TFS-BuildServer-Agents-should be of the same osFamily as the one specified in the osFamily so there will be no problem building…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Windows Azure Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • C#: Implement "Outline Statement Blocks" just like the one you have for C++

Today in C# you have outlining for methods, properties, classes, namespaces and regions, this is great but not enough.

1. First of all we want this for all statement blocks like if, while, foreach, for, using and so on.

2. It would also be great if any selection in the editor could be collapsed.

3. In addition to showing the content of a collapsed section when hovering over the boxed "..." at the end of the collapsed section "HeadLine", the same should content should be shown when hovering over a plus(+) sign in the "Outline column" to the left of…

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • VB.Net should be fully supported in ASP.Net VNext , MVC 6

Yes I do web development and Yes I am a VB !

So I was horified to read this on the VNext Page on Gitthub "We have no VB support in the work for vNext."

I Sure urge you to to start some planning about the support of VB.Net in ASP.Net VNext ,,, as Yes I currenty use MVC 5.2.3 in my production sites and hope to be at least able to upgrade to newer versions in the future , in my favorite coding language wich is VB.Net .

I want support for VB.Net in all new webtech just as…

97 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  10 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • About Code Reading - Bookmark

Can Bookmark as good as management of Browser Favorites and View MSDN

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Automatic Formatting -- Comments

Visual Studio 2013

I cannot disable the automatic formatting of comments. When I type:

/*

then, press <ENTER>, I see this...

/*
                    I would like to be able to disable these automatic insertions of " *". When I try to close the comment, it looks like this, now:

/*
                    * */

Now, I have to go back and attempt to remove the unwanted * and the last line, which only needs to look like *. I could, instead, press <BACKSPACE> and type the / there, but, why am I not able to configure the comments…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • I would really like to have back the multi-document interface in visual studio. I'm now on vs 2013 and am forced to tab all files.

In vs 2005, i could goto the "Tabs and Windows" setting and specify multiple document interface. Now in vs 2013 i'm not seeing anywhere that can be done. Can we have that back please ?

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Provide a Visual Basic 6 Community edition - to allow free download of the VB6 programming language

Make a Visual Basic 6 Community edition free download of the Microsoft VB6 programming language and IDE available.
                        Microsoft already have a VS2013 community edition and also a free download of Expression Web.
                        Now please allow a 'Community Edition' of VB6.

159 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          11 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Stop separating applications and web code. Java doesn't. One code base should work everywhere.

Microsoft has lost many loyal developers by "dead-ending" product platforms like VB6, Winforms, Silverlight, etc. Yes, they still "work" but the developers who invested time and money in these platforms, and found themselves abandoned are not likely to repeat the experience.

Java had this licked from the beginning. What are you people *thinking?*

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • show ALL checked out files TFS (both lock types)

There are 2 lock types that TFS supports:

1. Unchanged - Keep any existing lock.

2. Check In - Allow other users to check out but prevent them from checking in.

Lock type 2 is shown in Source Control, while locktype 1 is not. My suggestion is to show both locktypes in source control and all other places where locktype 2 is shown. This is when everyone is working in the same branch.

Why? If you would like to know why this would be nice to have. TFS works great for Workflow management, you can assign tasks to members which…

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Improve Resx/WinForms .designer code serialization to be sorted, to prevent CVS conflicts

Currently, Resx code is geing moved in the file during regenerating, so that it might happen that creating one resource can indicate Diff conflict, which is not obvious for standard CVS systems Merge tools to resolve.
                              The same is for autogenerated .designer.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Workflow service standalone execution without hosting

Provision to run Windows workflow service without hosting as service, like standalone application

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Improve query editor UI and usability

When you're trying to query work items in VSO the current query editor is cumbersome and difficult to read. It's very hard to tell how the clauses are strong together and how the parentheses actually break up the query.

Ideally the query interface itself would help more with this, no one uses parenthesis like this A ((& B | D) | F (& H & K)) which is what the UI represents when you group clauses. It's completely unreadable. Instead, the UI should organize groups the way people do: () go around/next to terms, and operators go outside or between…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Include nuget package name in which a namespace/ class is available in the msdn documentation

Environmnet: ASP.NET 5.0 and Visual Studio 2015:

Problem: This is the only way to find to add project.json dependencies: http://www.nuget.org/packages?q=System.Math

Include nuget package name in which a namespace/ class is available in the msdn documentation for each namespace

Much better, add intellisense to lookup for missing packages to query nuget (performance can be improved by adding a local nuget metadata cache to the machine)

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Provide internal methods to Interface contracts.

I'm in the process of rewriting engine code for a game. And something that keeps appearing is the need to describe interfaces with internal methods. Often, game code must build objects that meet an interfaces contract, and that contract often includes the provision of internal methods such as Render().

C# interfaces currently don't provide this feature, and it's a real shame, because it makes sense to build against these contracts with internal methods, and not having to resort to using inheritance.

There is no reason a contract can't say 'provide an internal method for Render() because all Models require it…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Abandon/stop multiple releases at once

Each week we generate hundreds of failed, stopped, or otherwise not-needed-anymore releases that have to be abandoned, one by one. This is annoying, tedious, and worst of all, takes up hours of my time that could be productively spent on any of the various projects that I have on my plate. Being able to select multiple releases and abandon them with a single click would be fantastic.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Provide more detailed documentation about how the Android Emulator works

When I first installed the CTP, the VS Emulator for Android worked beautifully.

However, after I experienced unrelated networking issues on my workstation (troubleshooting which required that I disable and reconfigure several of the virtual networking adapters), when I come back to work with the Android emulators, they aren't working correctly.

In the Hyper-V Manager, I have been able to get the virtual machines actually working, fine, if I use the standard Hyper-V Connect interface, instead of the nice VS interface with all the cool Phone/Tablet tools hanging off it.

I can't find, anywhere, documentation that explains how that VS…

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base