Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please improve the offline installer

Please provide useful information during the download. Listing all tiny packages is of no use at all.

Tell me how much data it's going to download in total, how much has already been downloaded, a nice progress bar (possibly in the task bar as well) and an estimated time to completion. The download speed would be nice, too. Simple maths. Simple output.

Oh, and leave a message for me when it's completed. I don't like processes that just disappear when they're done. Was is successful? Was it interrupted and cancelled? Can I use this now? How long did it take?…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Set some tab to visible or invisible in TabControl

the TabControl Component must to have a property or method , where we can set some tab to visible or invisible.

In Delphi IDE is possible to set in some tab inside de tab control to be invisible or visible. This functionality is missing and can be very helpfull to have it

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Team Explorer > Home > Solutions > Workspace(s) > List of sln

Team Explorer within 2017 has changed the method for switching/selecting solutions within workspaces. This has caused many a developers some headaches.

Previously, you could switch workspaces and then select a solution file from a list available within that workspace. Having to either select Open... and navigate the file system or switching to Folder View and then selecting a workspace and then picking a solution, is a waste of clicks and time. It should be really simple to open the solution I need. My team works with multiple web applications that are stored in a single TFS repo. This has been…

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Update image watch for 2017

The Image Watch plugin is an invaluable tool for developing image processing functions. Please make this component work for VS2017.

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Prevent IIS Express from taking over as the launch settings default in .NET Core projects in VS 2017

While debugging ASP.NET Core apps in VS 2017, IIS Express is added as the default in the launch configuration window, backed by `Properties/launchSettings.json`.

If this is changed, or if the settings are removed - either from the UI, or by modifying the file, on the next launch of VS, these settings have been returned, and IIS Express set to the default again.

The issue is compounded when you have a multi-startup solution. In my current case, I have a micro-services solutions with 8 startup projects, with more to follow.

It's getting harder and harder to use VS as the primary…

15 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Search the web automatically when I hit an exception. The exception details should automatically contain the result of a web search for the

Search the web automatically when I hit an exception. The exception details should automatically contain the result of a web search for the exception

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • I suggest you dont move the top item in a context menu

"Get Latest Version" should be at the top of the context menu in solution explorer.

I've "Opened in File Explorer" view too many times, and every few days have to reinstall VS and lose my context menu bindings.

There was no good reason to put that option at the top of the list when we could click the hyperlink under the workspaces drop down.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • when creating new item, either get rid of the extension or allow the user to select just the file name on double click

The whole idea of selecting which type of item you want to create should be to make it faster for the user to create an item. As it is, it is slower.
                  I either select a type, and then manually select just the filename without selecting the extension in order to change the name OR just not care what is selected and retype everything. Retyping everything is faster.
                  The "select a type" UI is just wasteful and misleading since it says "use me, I am here to help make your flow faster!" but it is not. It just makes it…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Add VsVim as an option to the installation process.

VsVim is a powerful VIM keybinding utility. Adding the tool as an option to the default installation process would create more awareness and increase the usage of the tool.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Make error C2375 a level 4 warning checked by default (without /Za)

I would like to get the compile error detailed here:
                      https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5k6kw95a.aspx

file.c : error C2375: 'func' : redefinition; different linkage
                      file.c(2) : see declaration of 'func'

gcc will have an error if you mix static and extern declarations for the same function. However, Visual Studio does not have any error, or warning, by default.

As demonstrated by the msdn article, you can have the compiler perform this check, and get an error for mixing static and extern declarations. However, in order to do so you must use the /Za option. This means: disable ALL extensions. This is of no practical…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Make Add Item and Add Class behaviors consisent in C# projects

Right clicking in a VC# project and selecting "Add > New Item..." from the context menu opens the Add New Item dialog with Visual C# > ASP.NET Core > Code > Class already selected.

Right clicking in a VC# Project and selecting "Add > Class..." opens the Add New Item dialog with only Visual C# selected. In order to then create a class the user must click ASP.NET Core, or navigate into ASP.NET Core and select Code.

From a UX perspective is seems like these 2 operations are reversed.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Lightweight load

When working on large solutions there are some projects you want to load by default and others that are not so important.
                          By having the ability to choose what projects to load by default in the solution lightweight load will be more usefull.

And when building the solution all projects should be built because sometimes other developers can add code in unloaded projects that will cause errors in your build.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Support Long Path Names in Visual Studio, MSBuild and TFS

You removed the MAX_PATH Limit for .Net. That's just gerat!!!

Windows kind of removed it also with Aniversary Update.

But Visual Studio 2017 still hast it: Opening Files with a Path longer than MAX_PATH ist not working. (Error: Operation could not be completed, Filename or Extention is too long) And also TFS has it. Same Error on some Builds if the Agent Build folder ist not close to the root of a drive...

Please: Do the step and remove this limit also for VS, MSBuild and TFS.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Name of the build can be copied to clipboard

It could be fine when I can copy name of build to clipboard

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • ASK which one to use IIS or IIS express. I'm tired of having to change this over and over and over and over BECAUSE OF LAZY MS DEVELOPERS

ASK which one to use IIS or IIS express. I'm tired of having to change this over and over and over and over BECAUSE OF LAZY MS DEVELOPERS

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Make 'Code Metrics Results' tab not pull itself to the front for each project

Code metrics can take some time to calculate, especially if running on a whole solution. It seems natural to set it running and then continue with other work while the calculation continues in the background. Unfortunately, the Code Metrics Results window pulls itself to the front each time it starts on a project. This is infuriating while trying to read another window in the same tab group.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Improve the visibility/usability of the step into specific facility by identifying the eligible functions in the UI

I think that the step into specific facility would be more useful if the UI could indicate which functions in a line of code were eligible to be stepped into.
                                    If an overlay on the function could be shown & clicked on in order to perform the step into, I think that would be really useful.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Flowchart diagram ending point

Why not to allows inserting ending point of flowchart diagram (or subdiagram). Without public (not supposed) end point, where every paths converging to, the diagram is not properly readable - some of paths are virtual - you don't see them at the diagram, so can miss them. It is bug friendly, am i right?

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Bridges on paths crossing

Flow chart diagram with a lot of paths becomes unreadable when crossing paths are not disatinguished from merging paths. Usualy, in other diagram editors, when one path is crossing the other path, it runs over like a little bridge. And then, If there are no bridge, you are sure that the paths are merged.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Resizing diagram items

Why not to allow resizing of diagram items? It is one of the base requirements that allow to create readable, usable diagrams. The main problem is, when the entered name does not fit in, and you could not read it without opening properties window. It realy makes reading of diagram dificult.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base