Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the debugger stick to the current thread instead of jumping around between threads!

Please, please fix this! Debugging multithreaded applications is hard enough as it is, without having to manhandle the debugger just so it does the obvious thing you want.

I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. You're stepping through your function, and suddenly your instruction pointer jumps somewhere unexpected and none of the variable values make sense and you realize you're not in the thread you thought you were in. It's really tough or impossible to get back to where you were in the thread you cared about. Or you set a breakpoint two instructions down, and it may be…

143 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      5 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are currently evaluating whether we will be able to address this suggestion in a future release. Thanks for capturing the pain points you feel when stepping through multithreaded applications while debugging. We will be providing an update soon.

Additionally, I wanted to clarify that the debugger will only ever complete a step on the thread from which the step was originated. So if you hit a breakpoint, disable it, and then begin stepping you should not stop on a different thread. If you have other breakpoints in your application and another thread hits one, then you will be debugging in the mixed thread state as described in this item.

Kaycee Anderson
      Program Manager, Visual Studio

• Make namespace configurable for folder

The namespace for new files created are automatically determined by the folder structure.
      This often creates a problem if you wish to make a logical group of files (by placing them in a folder) that is not supposed to be a new namespace.
      Creating the folder and moving the files is not a problem, but the trouble starts as soon as someone uses 'add class' on the folder.
      Now the new file does not sit in the same namespace as the other files in the folder.

One example would be to use a folder to store partials of a big…

142 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        7 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make Visual Studios website UX and advertising more inclusive

The other day I received one of those generic emails about Visual Studio, and I noticed that out of the 11 clip art people only 2 were girls. And both were in the background or off to the side(see pic). So I decided to check out the VS website and noticed the trend continued. Men outnumbered women on every part of the website with 2 or more people with the sole exception of continous intergration (ps props to who ever designed that page). In fact, most of the time they doubled to quadrupled the number of women. And although there…

141 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • LINQ Debugging - condensed call stack view that was more of a "query stack"

Improve debugging support for Ix and Rx queries in the IDE. Specifically, a condensed call stack view that was more of a "query stack" would be great. It would also be great if we could hook into the "query stack" features from our own LINQ-based APIs.

141 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            5 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • enable developers to create Subfolder-Structures within BIDS SSRS Projects

enable developers to create Subfolder-Structures within BIDS SSRS Projects. Currently with VS2008 BIDS it is not possible to organize reports with folders in Visual studio. If you have SSRS projects with many reports, and you want to deploy reports to different subfolders on ssrs server this would be really helpful!

139 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              10 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow #region blocks to be indented much like they are in C#

In C# you can indent a #region block so that the region flows with the layout of your code. Unless I am missing something, this is not the case in VB.

Example (C#):
              public class MyClass
              {

+[VARIABLES]

+[PROPERTIES]

+[METHODS]
              }

Example (VB):
              Public Class MyClass

+[VARIABLES]

+[PROPERTIES]

+[METHODS]

EndClass

139 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                10 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the great suggestion. I agree that it would be nice to see these indented properly. I honestly couldn’t tell you the reason for this design choice but it applies to all preprocessing directives. Having said that, our team owns both the VB and C# code editor experiences and as we’re rebuilding them as part of Project “Roslyn” we’re trying to be on the look out for opportunities to make the experiences more consistent where it makes sense – this looks to me like one of those cases. The “Roslyn” based editing experience is not planned to be in the next release of Visual Studio but it’s certainly not to early to look at improving this. I’ll follow up with the right folks to see if I can make this happen :)

Regards,

-Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

• New projects treat compiler warnings as errors by default

All new project templates will set the "treat warnings as errors" flag to true by default.

138 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  8 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • New syntax to map interface members to the base class

Explicit interface implementation in VB makes the code much better readable and maintainable than C# code with its implicit (i.e. hidden/secret) interface implementation.
                  It is one of the main advantages of VB over C#.

However there is one drawback: If a class implements an interface, all interface members have to be implemented directly in that class.
                  There is no way in VB to map an interface member to a member of the implementing classe's base class.

In C# this works implicitly without any extra code. In VB, of course, we want to maintain an explicit way to achieve it.
                  A…

138 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Fix the Font & Colors dialog

please fix this dialog. it hasn't changed for years, it desparately needs some attention.

consider this use case:
                    - i'm editing some code and part of it is red. i want to change it to blue.
                    - i open the fonts & colors dialog
                    - i scroll through the HUGE, completely disorganized 'display items' list
                    - i have to guess which of those items applies to the red text I want to change. sometimes it's obvious, most of the time it's not...
                    - usually, i have to select each item in that list, one-by-one, looking for one that's the right…

137 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      13 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Expose a Workflow Service through REST/JSON endpoints

It'd be great if we could call Workflow Services directly from an AJAX application through REST/JSON endpoints. The current inability to define a contract first when defining a Workflow Services prevents us annotating the contract with the [WebGet] attribute which would be the obvious way to enable both a SOAP and REST endpoint on the same service.

137 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        9 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • enable line numbers by default

Please enable Line Numbers by default. The first thing everyone does is to go to the settings and enable that. Why is it off by default?

135 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          8 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Multitenant Projects

Hability to serve multiple databases with the same deployed instance

135 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Number interface for int,short, double, float, etc...

Here's the doc's for Linq.Sum : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb345537.aspx

It would be nice if there could be just 1 method

Sum(IEnumerable<Number>)

For this to happen there would need to be a Number Interface that is common to the number structs (int, short, double, etc)

I would suggest it includes add, subtract, multiply, divide and asInt, as Double etc....

I believe this would reduce a lot of duplicate code, plus would allow for expandability with new objects

135 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              6 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add Java support to Visual Studio

With Microsoft's recent giant leaps forward into supporting Open Source technologies and platforms, I believe time is ripe for Microsoft to add support to Visual Studio for building Java applications.

History is history - time to move forward: Java is a reality and is very widely used to build server-side technologies in particular.

While IntelliJ is pretty good and Eclipse does it's job, NOTHING comes close to the enormous power and flexibility of Visual Studio and its practically unbeatable editor, window layout mechanisms, debugger, code introspection tooling, etc.

I believe that in adding Java support, Microsoft could expose Visual Studio…

134 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                15 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Use UTF-8 by default for C++ source files

.cpp and .h files should be saved in a modern encoding such as UTF-8 by default (and the compiler would have to be updated to handle UTF-8 input as well). The use of the windows-1252 codepage really feels like something out of the 1980's. The rest of the world uses Unicode. Heck, as far as I know, most other VS project types use it. Can we *please* get the same in Visual C++?

134 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 134 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    11 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Automatically fix fixable errors

Some errors in the error list could be automatically fixed. For instance, you build your code and the error "The type 'bla' is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Data.Entity'" appears in the error pane. This error is easily fixed by adding the correct reference to the project, but since Studio already knows what it's looking for, it knows where it's located (GAC), why isn't there an option to fix it?

It would be nice if the error pane would have a column "Autoresolve" with for each error which migh be fixable a link "Try resolving". Studio…

134 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      6 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add git worktree support

Git added the ability have multiple working trees for a single repository.
                                      https://git-scm.com/docs/git-worktree
                                      When opening a solution from a linked working tree, Visual Studio does not detect as being part of the repository, which deactivate the git features in Visual Studio.

Visual Studio should be able support solutions which are in a linked working tree.

133 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Circular shift / Rotate JIT support

Many cryptographic hash and encryption functions take advantage of circular shift:

(val << shift) | (val >> (32 - shift))

Modern C and C++ compilers recognize this expression, and compile it accordingly to X86's ROTR/ROTL instruction. I believe the .NET runtime should be able to recognize the IL sequence that the above expression would generate:

ldloc val
                                        ldloc shift
                                        shl
                                        ldloc val
                                        ldc.i4 32
                                        ldloc shift
                                        sub
                                        shr.un
                                        or

And optimize that sequence into a single X86 ROTR/ROTL sequence.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that now, according to my experiments.

The best thing to do is to introduce some…

133 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          9 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow bulk update target .NET framework version for all projects in a solution

The solution (.sln) properties allows bulk update of Configuration and Platform properties. It should also allow updating the TargetFramework property.

133 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            4 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base