Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please! Release all necessary tools for coding C# in other platforms and OSs

In my opinion, C# is the best object oriented programming language and has a lot of tools. As many people believe" C# is JAVA, but designed very better.", I think if everybody, on any platform and OS, has access to code with standard C#, just like windows, this language would be one of the most used programming language in world. There are some tools like mono, but native tools, even not in the way of open source software, are very better and more useful.

Even I see in my developer friends, they use variety of OSs and programming languages, but…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow the Build Tool to be Set for a File on a Per Configuration Basis

In VS 2008, I could set the Build Tool for a file per configuration. That is, for a file, I could set the tool to "C/C++ Compiler Tool" for Config1 and "Custom Build Tool" for Config2.

I've noticed that in VS 2013, this capability has been lost. I can set the "Item Type" for a file to either "C/C++ compiler" or "Custom Build Tool", but the setting stays sticky across configurations. That is, I can't set it on a per-configuration basis.

Can you bring this back? I liked being able to set the build tool of a file per configuration…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Pin Folders in solutions explorer

If folders could be pinned in the solution explorer, that remain visible when the users collapses all folders it would help keep the user orientated to the core files they are working on.

E.g. When working on an MVC app with areas and the user is working on a specific area they can Pin the area folder. They can then go off and work on another project in the solution, click collapse all and then go back to working on their area of interest without having to hunt through the folder structure.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Improve code snippets creation

// Example
          std::vector<bool> v;

// v.for would generate:
          for (unsigned int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++)
          {
          }

// v.foreach would generate:
          for (bool element : v)
          {
          }

// v.fori would generate:
          for (auto iterator = v.begin(); iterator != v.end(); iterator++)
          {
          }

std::list<bool> l;
          // l.fori would generate:
          for(auto iterator = l.begin(); iterator != l.end(); iterator++)
          {
          }

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We will definitely consider an easier way to enable users to define their own snippets.

In the meantime, you can create your own custom snippets based on the XML format of the current snippets under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\Snippets\1033\Visual C++. We recommend putting your custom snippets under a separate folder for organizational purposes (see Tools → Code Snippets Manager → Visual C++ → Add…), but VS should automatically pick up any snippets you create in those locations.

(Note that the Snippets Manager recommends putting your own snippets under C:\Users\<Your_Username>\Documents\Visual Studio 14\Code Snippets\Visual C++\My Code Snippets.)

• Make Odata V4 client code generator as a Portable Class Library for UWP

Current version of Odata V4 client code generator is onnly supports Desktop application. It cannot be used with UWP.
            Please enable Odata V4 client code generator support for UWP as well.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow adding multiple projects to a solution

The Add Existing Project dialog should allow to select multiple projects, which are then all added to the solution one-by-one.

Even though typically each project has its private directory, we might use the search bar to view all projects nested under a selected root folder.

I just wanted to add 18 projects, and needed to do this one-by-one.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • One suggestion - because I am taking on A LOT of lines of code in my MainWindow.xaml.vb in individual Sub(s) - it would be even more beautif

One suggestion - because I am taking on A LOT of lines of code in my MainWindow.xaml.vb in individual Sub(s) - it would be even more beautiful if you could implement collapse/expand nodes in Sub structures like "Select Case" (a node on each Case with a parent node on the main Select) and "If...Then...ElseIf...Else" (a node on each ElseIf, the Else, and a parent node on the main If)

Overall...Extraordinary...this is just an incredible product.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Regarding Search Functionality in Visual Studio

In VS we have various options for Code Search Like Current Block, Current Document, Current Project and Entire Solution

Sometimes we do not intent to search in entire project but by mistake we click on search at that time

Scenerio:
                  A solution with 7-8 projects and Total 10K files

Expected behavior:
                  It should first search in the current document then only it should go to other files

Current behavior:
                  Due to some reason the entire screen becomes unresponsive, At that time if we keep pressing Esc then also it takes long time to get the screen in normal scenerio.

If…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Open the Start Page when you close a solution

It would be great if you could open the start page automatically when you close a solution/project, or at the least have an option to enable this behaviour.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Code review shall highlight current file

The TFS code review frontend in VS2013 shall highlight the current file in the Team Explorer.
                      If multiple files are in review I always check the files one by one. After I have completed the review for one file I have to select the next one. In the list of file I do not see which one is currently open. So it takes some time to find the next one.
                      If the current file (open for review) is highlights in Team Explorer it is much more easy to continue with the next file.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • C++ Makefile工程 希望增加对单个文件的编译

在使用Makefile工程时,我们可以自定义build rebuild clear三个命令,但这三个命令都是对工程的构建操作
                        希望在NMake属性页增加编译单个文件的命令行,这样,当在解决方案资源管理器中对项目源代码文件点右键选择[编译]时,就调用这个命令,目前这个[编译]按钮是灰色的,不可使用的.
                        为了实现这个功能,还需要增加一个宏定义,表示当前选中的源代码文件

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • SQL Server Results - Right Click Generate Insert Scripts

I can't find where to post this for SQL Server, but it is built on Visual Studio so maybe this will work.

I have read 100's of posts, and many people want this feature.

In the SQL Server Grid Results after you execute a query, Right Click
                          > Generate Insert Scripts

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  SQL Server Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Two node.exe found after installing VS "15" Preview 2

On a new Windows 10 machine, I installed VS "15" Preview 2 and searched system drive for node.exe. Here is what I found:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 15.0\Common7\DevHub\Hosts\nodejs\node.exe
                            (v0.10.31)

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 15.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External\node\node.exe
                            (v4.2.4)

Please unify these tools and keep one copy of the latest LTS edition of node.exe: 4.4.5 LTS (https://nodejs.org/en/)

FWIW, all major packages work with LTS version, including those with C++ modules.

Thanks in anticipation! :)

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • would love to be able to embed pictures within visual studio code

commenting code is great, but a picture is worth 1000 words, it would be awesome if the code can contain a graphic. For example, I am writing a new rendering engine in c# for a product called www.cDevWorkflow.com, it involves many angles and bends in lines, as I figure out the algorithms on paper/images, it would be nice to have that image embedded within the code. So the next time when I look at the code, I can easily identify the code. thx

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Make an option inside the Build Options "Clean obj folder" or make smarter assembly reference cache generation.

The assembly reference cache generated in /obj is often casing nasty errors which consume a lot of time to find. Two possible solutions - fix the generation-update functionality or give an option to delete everything that VS generated. The problem is still there on VS 2013 Update 3. There are all kind of solutions on stackoverflow and serverfault which is proof that this is a unwanted side effect which the programmers experience.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • bitfields

Bitfields are necessary for formatting and parsing binary files, Ethernet packet data, etc. where fields are packed and do not have a standard length (not 8, 16, 32 bits, etc.). Right now you HAVE to write code to do this. In C++ you just follow a member variable with a colon and its length, in bits. (Of course, then packing should work down to the bit level as well)

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Transparent floating window in IDE

I need a Transparent area in the IDE while debugging. Topmost=true while debuggung sucks.

Somebody said "It would be nice to have an option to make the floating windows in visual studio semi-transparent."

Semi transparency prevents click-events:
                                    http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/6575730-semi-transparent-floating-windows

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • C# local (nested) methods: They work great in Pascal, and are sorely missed in C#.

The ability to nest methods within other methods was a terrific feature in Pascal, and I really hate that they are not part of C#. They are a perfect way to isolate small bits of code that perform a single function without cluttering up the entire class. There does not seem to be any downside that I can see.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Performance-critical methods and auto vectorization for SIMD-enabled processors

There should be convenient way to mark certain methods as performance-critical, e.g. with some attribute. JIT compiler should use better optimization for such methods. These optimizations must include auto vectorization with SIMD instructions, like in Visual C++. Like with /Qvec-report in C++, there should be some way to ensure that compiler understood code and can vectorize it. Current vector types are not enough; they are not convenient for FFT, FIR, dot product and other non-graphical calculations. Since C# is high-level language, developers should not waste time with manual optimizations.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Pragma option to disable IntelliSence

A pragma option cound be added in C++ so Intellisence would not parse that part of the code until enabled.
                                          Option to exclude a whole file or VS folder.

I use OpenCL and OpenGL languages and IntelliSence is not really helping with these files...

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base