Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring Back Full-Color Icons to Visual Studio 2012

The mostly black & gray glyphs used in Visual Studio 2012 are very difficult to distinguish between. Familiar icons that we have known and used for years are now gone, and it takes (wastes!) a ton of time trying to find the right icon/command/object. Please bring back the tried-and-true, full-color icons that clearly represent each command/object and are easily identifiable.

4,258 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      316 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Visual Studio 2013 has added color in several broad reaching icon categories. We classified the icons we focused on into three sets: icons which represent common actions, icons which indicate code hierarchy, and icons that provide some kind of notification. By utilizing a systematic and broadly applicable approach to color use we are better able to effectively convey critical meaning or affiliation through color, to attract attention through color, and to improve scan-ability through color. This approach translates into color being applied to ~80% of standard toolbar and debug toolbar icons, ~75% of code hierarchy icons, and 100% of active notifications.

Based upon the design goals outlined above and design decisions reflected in the existing scheme for each of the core icon sets we will continue to apply and extend our approach to icon colorization as we move forward. As…

• Add some color to Visual Studio 2012

Usability studies have shown that both shape and color help to distinguis visual elements in a UI. The upcoming/current beta release of Visual Studio 2011 has removed color from the toolbars and from icons in e.g. the Solution Explorer.

Please make this optional so those of us that want a more accessible and user friendly IDE can have their cake and eat it too.

13,321 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1128 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updated Status: 7/2/2013

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Visual Studio 2013 has increased color and contrast use within the user interface while continuing to focus on giving the content you are creating and editing visual prominence. We’ve utilized the feedback you gave us to help refine our approach to color and contrast within three main areas: 1) we added color to icons and reduced line weights to improve icon scan-ability and to better communicate icon meaning and categorization; 2) we added line work and raised contrast levels to increase visual separation between screen regions; 3) we included a built-in “Blue” theme option at product first launch to better support user choice.

In keeping with these three areas we have made many changes to the Visual Studio 2013 built-in themes. In high utilization and icon intensive areas of the product, such as common toolbar actions and…

• "Send Feedback" -> "Report a Problem" does not remove ability to click other windows

when you try to report a problem a user may wish to copy something from another window. not allowing this seems like it might make it pretty difficult for users to report certain problems

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This should be completed in the latest Visual Studio “15” Preview builds. Give it a try and let us know if you’re still running into the same problem. If so, please report it through our “Report a Problem” function in the IDE to better help us track your problem.

Thanks!
          - Tim

• Continue to Improve Visual Studio Feedback (Connect Integration)

I am a big fan of the Visual Studio feedback mechanism that was introduced in VS2012 (I believe?). Primarily in that it allows a way to let you know our thoughts as developers, but DEFINITELY in that your team ACTUALLY READS OUR FEEDBACK AND GETS BACK TO US. :) :) :)

This is really great! No longer does it feel like we're coding in a void/vacuum. Thank you for taking the time to provide a bridge to your loyal users and make it possible to start the dialogue.

With that said, the reward for hard work is more hard work,…

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Feedback tool "Problem manager" console to engage with VS team

When I submit a problem, I often want to go back and talk about it some more, add more information or how I resolved it.

This ultimate helps you and helps the community.

At least, I should get an ID and an email address I can use to forward further detail.

At present, the feedback tool sends "Problems" into a black hole. Usually, a VS team triage dude contacts me, that's GREAT, but often its long after the event and I've just forgotten and moved on.

Thanks. Love you.

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • "Report a problem" dialog should open links to trending issues

"Report a problem" dialog should open links to trending issues.
              It's nice to have a "Me Too" vote, but seeing the full description right in a web browser gives you more control, like copying text from external URLs.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Change the "Report a problem" dialog.

The "Report a problem" dialog box is non resizable and is so large that I can't see the buttons at the bottom on my 15" laptop.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add ability to filter Comments Task List (aka TODO list)

In big solutions it is not uncommon to find numerous TODO comments scattered around multiple projects. By adding filter like the one in Errors (Open Documents, Current Project, Current Document) would help to find what you need. Or at least consider adding the Project column to the Task list, just showing the File name is not enough.

136 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    8 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Supporters

Thanks for all who provided feedback on this item.

I’m marking this item as completed on the basis that in Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, you can filter down the task list using the “Search Task List” box at the top right of the window. The Project column is now shown by default too. As a result, you can easily filter down to whatever you need (TODO, BUG, etc.).

Given this capability, we are not proposing adding any further filters to the Task List at this time, so I’m closing the item to give you back your votes. If you would still like to see more built-in preset filter buttons, feel free to start another item and we’ll track how many votes it attracts.

Thanks for your feedback and for using Visual Studio!

Regards
                    Mark Wilson-Thomas
                    Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

• 2,967 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      33 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We think this is a fantastic suggestion and have already begun moving project related files into a “.vs” folder at the root of the solution. You can check it out in the latest CTP of Visual Studio 2015. So far, we have moved the .SUO file and the VB/C# compiler IntelliSense database files to the new location. All new project specific, machine local files will be added to the new location too. We plan on taking this even further in future releases and are investigating how to improve the directory structure of build output and other existing files that can clutter the source tree.

If you are upgrading an existing solution you may need to clean up the old files at the root of the solution. We don’t delete them to ensure your settings are not lost if you round trip the project with earlier versions of Visual Studio.…

• Bring Back the Visual Studio Installation Customization Options

We'd like to have all of the options back to customize Visual Studio. We'd probably like to have more granular installation customization, but at the very least, let us customize the installation.

864 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        62 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Make CodeLens Available Outside of Ultimate

CodeLens is one of the most existing new features in Visual Studio 2013. Restricting it to Ultimate is a mistake. Make this available to at least Premium, and to Professional if at all possible!

3,534 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          167 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Please support the long path feature that was released with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update enabled long paths to overcome the 260 character path limit for manifested applications. Please enable this support in Visual Studio!

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-ntfs-long-paths-in-windows-10/

11 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make Design View available for x64 target platforms with custom elements

Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms when the document contains custom elements (XAML with a user control, for example).

412 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              14 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Starting with Visual Studio 2015, we have enabled you to design/author your XAML even when you target anything but x86. Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 should bring together several fixes and changes to have this experience work even better.

However, it is worth noting that we will not be able to execute any code you might have written in the designer when the project is targeting anything but x86. This is because of the restriction that an x86 process (which the XAML designer is) cannot run ARM or x64 code. You should be able to view and edit all of the XAML on the page, with any custom types replaced with replacements to preserve the WYSIWYG experience as much as possible (and switch to x86 when you really care about running the code in the designer).

Thanks,
                              Unni

Program Manager,
                              Visual Studio

• Allow 3rd party Extensions (vsix) in Visual Studio Express editions

As a developer of a commercial extension for Visual Studio, I was (and still am, at some level) against supporting non-paying customers.

However, over the years I came to realize that you get more flies with honey, and I now believe Microsoft should allow installing Visual Studio Extensions (vsix) in Express editions.

People use Express editions for different reason - some won't pay for their development tools out of spite, others just can't afford the next (basic) SKU, or an MSDN subscription.

Yet there are many people who create and maintain free and open source extensions for Visual Studio. While…

991 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                28 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Create short guidance on the differences between VSO, On-premise TFS, and TFS on Azure IAAS

Teams new to TFS (or moving IT to cloud) constantly struggle when trying to decide between Visual Studio Online and on-premise TFS. With TFS on Azure IAAS also as an option, the decision is even more difficult. The Rangers could create some short and concise guidance on which one to select.

There is some guidance from Microsoft already out there (http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/compare-visual-studio-products-vs), but it is mostly marketing/licensing fluff and doesn't address the details. What am I really missing with VSO at the technical level? E.g. Can I update a process template?

Note that multiple queries to the Rangers forum…

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • TFS 2012 Storyboard with Kinect

A Kinect enabled application to help “visually” manage and estimate a backlog in TFS using a storyboard. Imagine a screen projector (or large LCD) + Kinect… using gestures and voice commands to control the storyboard.

Submitted by an ALM Ranger

19 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Change Location of View Code <> Icon - VS 2011 Beta

At first glance of VS 2011 Beta - the View Code <> icon appears to be too far to the right in the Solution Explorer.
                                    If the Solution Explorer is not wide enough, the <> icon is not visible.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      completed  ·  1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • It's been said before but I am asking AGAIN - REMOVE 260 Path Limitation

It seems every time someone posts this request, it is swept under the rug and just given a "it will break too much backwards compatibility" ... or "we need to devote resources elsewhere at this time" .. or even "it is too difficult to accomplish"

I, for one, am sick and tired of the excuses. It is 2015 - 10 years ago, the excuses would be barely acceptable. Today, not so by a long shot.

The problem is compounded by the VS Project templates themselves. By default, all users projects are put into the particular user's Home Documents Directory (%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents…

19 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • As a TFS Administrator, I would like to extract permission reports to audit purposes

This is a common request, mainly in Banks, Government and large corporations with audit sector. Often I'm asked how to extract reports showing TFS Users and what access level they have.

Something like:

User: Andre Dias
                                        Access to:
                                        Project Level -> Delete team project, View project-level information
                                        Build Level -> Administer build permissions, Edit build quality
                                        Version Control -> Check out, Check in

A access level matrix would be fantastic.

88 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Create practical guidance on Agile Portfolio Management with TFS 2013 and beyond.

Create focused and "crisp" guidance around agile portfoilio management, team projects and teams, to complement the TFS Planning Guide (www.vsarplanningguide.codeplex.com) and capturing dogfood findings by the ALM Rangers and from the field.

106 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base