Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. problem in test explorer of VS2015 update3

In test explorer of VS2015 update3, there is a feature of “Configure continuous integration” added and I could not let it not show. Whether could add a function for hiding this message. And there is a community who has a same idea, please refer to the following thread:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7f1ea4a4-715e-4f62-927b-9e3d40d6fe9c/vs-2015-update-3-test-explorer-unwanted-ad?forum=vsunittest

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      completed  ·  11 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide Microsoft Fakes with all Visual Studio editions

Include Microsoft Fakes with all editions of Visual Studio including Professional edition rather than being restricted to developers with Ultimate editions of Visual Studio. This will allow all Visual Studio developers to leverage the capabilities of the Fakes mocking library since mocking/stubbing is a necessary part of every developer's Unit Testing toolbelt.

1,457 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        121 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make the Visual Studio installer more customizable

Let one don't install some components if one don't need it - for example Silverlight development support, visual designers for WPF or Windows Forkflow, or unit testing (many developers use third-party solutions like NUnit and don't use VS built-in testing tools).

1,715 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          108 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are happy to let you know that we have made improvements in this feature area. In Visual Studio 2015 we have made improvements to the ability to customize Visual Studio. https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs We have broken down the initial Visual Studio feature selections into 30+ selections while maintaining a simple and intuitive default selection. We will continue to focus on this area for the next release of Visual Studio as well. We understand that acquiring Visual Studio needs to be as friction free as possible while still providing customizability and flexibility that Microsoft developers have come to expect.

Pat Litherland
          Visual Studio Program Manager

• Give us lowly humans ability to edit feedback posts for at least 5 minutes.

I have a bad habit as a human being. I post first and then proof read my work. You could say I should do that first and I would agree but as humans we just don't do it. Please add ability to edit post for at least 5 minutes after posting. Or if your uncomfortable with that. Force the user to wait 5 minutes before showing it publicly. I.E., "Thank you for your feedback. Were baking your question to perfection. Your post will be visible to the world in 5 minutes. If you wish to make any modifications, do it…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Qui Jinn,

In Visual Studio “15” Preview 3, we released a beta version of our new feedback client that offers a simplified flow when reporting a problem. At the same time, we have an early version of a web presence where you can actually see your problem when it’s submitted and edit it afterwards if you forgot to add some key information. Here is where you can find the website:

https://community.visualstudio.com/index.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
            - The Visual Studio Team

• Make it possible to follow/comment or retract problems reported through Visual Studio->Send Feedback option

If I find that I have reported a problem that might not be a problem in Visual Studio, I would like to be able to retract my problem report or add further comments as I get wiser.

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All,

In Visual Studio “15” Preview 3, we released a beta version of our new feedback client that offers a simplified flow when reporting a problem. At the same time, we have an early version of a web presence where you can actually follow problems that are interesting to you or remove a problem you have submitted. Here is where you can find the website:

https://community.visualstudio.com/index.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
              - The Visual Studio Team

• Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during Click once Setup

Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during ClickOnce Setup.

We need to disable TLS 1.0 by June for compliance. During testing of this we have found that our application connect correctly after a minor change. However, the ClickOnce setup only negotiates a TLS 1.0 connection.

Please either enable TLS 1.2 by default with a fallback to 1.1/1.0 or give the ability to turn it on during the build.

112 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                10 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow .NET games on Xbox One

Yesterday was announced that Xbox One will allow indie developer to easily publish games on Xbox One.

Lots of indie developers and small game company are using .NET to develop games. Today, we are able to easily target several Windows platforms (Windows Desktop, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8) as well as other platforms thanks to Mono from Xamarin.

As we don't know yet the details about this indie developer program for Xbox One, we would love to use .NET on this platform - with everything accessible, from latest 4.5 with async, to unsafe code and native code access through…

16,315 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  295 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! As we announced at //BUILD/, we are excited to enable all developers to be able to build Universal Windows apps and games using .NET that will run on Xbox One. We released a developer preview for Xbox with this support at //BUILD/ that many of you have already used to build or test your Universal Windows apps and games on Xbox. We are gearing up towards making this available in its final form later this Summer, and are looking forward to seeing all of the great apps and games that you are building for Xbox!

You don’t need to be an ID@XBOX developer to experiment, create, and test games or apps on Xbox One, but you do need to enroll with ID@XBOX if you want to publish and sell a game on Xbox One or take advantage of Xbox Live on…

• For VS 2013 : Can print code in colour

Can print code in colour in VS 2013, the same as the extension color printing or Productivity pack for vs 2012.

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    4 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Remove the requirment for Internet Explorer 10 to be installed first prior to VS 2013

So our corporate standard is IE9 and this is fine up through VS2012 but now I find trying to install VS2013 on a test machine that it requires IE10 and no way around this. MS seems determined to force the latest changes on developers for no good reason, it now seems to all about revolution and not evolution. Why on earth do we need the latest version of a browser to use Visual Studio 2013. Seriously guys stop beating on the people who write the software that makes the MS software ecosystem work.

416 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        54 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m pleased to say that today we’ve updated Visual Studio 2013 installers to enable VS 2013 to be installed on Windows 7 machines running IE8 or IE9. Visual Studio 2013 still works best with IE10 or higher, and you’ll need to have that on your machine in order to get the full experience for some scenarios. We’ve updated knowledge base (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=330043) with the details on specific VS2013 experiences that require IE10. Today’s update impacts only the VS2013 setup; no changes have been made to Visual Studio itself, so if you have it installed already, there’s nothing you need to do. However, if you were previously unable to install Visual Studio 2013 due to IE system requirements, you can now re-launch setup from our download page (http://aka.ms/getvs)
                        or MSDN subscriber downloads (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/).

Thanks to our UserVoice community for all your feedback and patience as we…

• Provide Visual Studio updates as an ISO image for offline installation

The offline installation method (run vs2012.2.exe /layout) is sub-optimal and has too many moving pieces. Please provide future (and current if possible) visual studio updates as an ISO.

I work as a consultant on a variety of customer sites, often on virtual machines with no / little internet connectivity. I also work on a laptop which is often disconnected, and sometimes it is connected via a mobile device which would cost hundreds of dollars to download updates.

In most of these situations, the simplest thing that works (and has worked for a long period of time) is to store and…

410 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add support to use android emulators from GenyMotion

It would be nice to use the android emulators from GenyMotion. The AVD emulators are very slow.

Emulators from GenyMotion are fast and they already have support for other IDEs like eclipse. It would be nice to have support for Visual Studio as well.

14 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            7 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, Vivek!

First off, did you know that Visual Studio 2015 ships with its own fast, x86, Hyper-V based emulator? (see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/11/12/introducing-visual-studio-s-emulator-for-android.aspx) We highly recommend you check it out and try that option.

If you do need to use Genymotion, you can start the emulator, then use the “Device” option in the F5 dropdown. Thanks!

John Kemnetz
                            Program Manager, Visual Studio

• Also allow [TestCategory] on test class

I'd like to be able to put all tests in a test class in the same category. At the current time (VS2012 update 3), you have to place the attribute on every test method. It's tedious for large test classes and increases maintenance costs unnecessarily.

56 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow for IIS Express 64 bit to run from Visual Studio 2012

Right now when you have a 64 bit Web project in Visual Studio 2012 it will always launch the iis express 32 bit version. Can we make Visual studio smarter depending on the platform on what iis express to load. Or at least allow for us to change that path inside the csproj file?

125 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • x:Bind Path IntelliSense

Since x:Bind is strongly typed there should be no reason why path autocompletion would'nt work.

24 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Intellisense for compiled databinding in XAML

Intellisense is not available for compiled binding in XAML for building UWP applications. It would be great to simply look for the data we want to bind while typing xaml.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow XAML designer remember Device Template (resolution) and Split mode settings per document.

When creating UWP apps, and having multiple XAML documents device specific it would be great to let Visual Studio to remember if a given file was last set to Phone, Desktop or Tablet as well as if the split mode with code is on Vertical or Horizontal.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

6,002 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        659 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve heard your feedback loud and clear, and we’ve been working on a solution. We’re therefore very happy to announce that we’ve now released a version of Macros that supports both Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2013.

While we were at it, we took the opportunity to fix a couple of bugs and improved the keyboard shortcuts.
                                        We hope you enjoy it.

For more information, see the blog post here: http://aka.ms/vsmacros

We’ve also open-sourced the code under the MIT license. If you have any suggestions or contributions, feel free to create an issue or a pull request in the new GitHub repo: http://github.com/Microsoft/VS-Macros

Justin Clareburt
                                        Senior Program Manager
                                        Visual Studio Extensibility Team

• Allow to connect multiple accounts for Azure in Server Explorer

I have two separated accounts to manage Azure subscriptions and currently I need to sign out my first account and sign in my second account on the Azure node in Server Explorer.

Why can I use multiple accounts without having to sign out and sign in everytime?

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Windows Azure Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can connect to multiple accounts in Cloud Explorer’s settings panel by clicking the gear icon. You can view Cloud Explorer if you have Azure SDK 2.7 (or greater) installed – just go to View → Cloud Explorer.

Alternatively, you can right-click on the Azure node of Server Explorer and under “Manage subscriptions” you can easily switch between multiple accounts.

• Improve SQL Azure support within VS2013

I've setup a Cloud Service and can see that just fine via the Azure tools within VS2013. Same goes for storage and websites. They all show just fine, but my SQL Azure databases do not show up. I am able to add them manually via "data connections", so the firewall is setup appropriately, but eh Azure tools do not see them.

11 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Windows Azure Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base