Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide Visual Studio updates as an ISO image for offline installation

The offline installation method (run vs2012.2.exe /layout) is sub-optimal and has too many moving pieces. Please provide future (and current if possible) visual studio updates as an ISO.

I work as a consultant on a variety of customer sites, often on virtual machines with no / little internet connectivity. I also work on a laptop which is often disconnected, and sometimes it is connected via a mobile device which would cost hundreds of dollars to download updates.

In most of these situations, the simplest thing that works (and has worked for a long period of time) is to store and…

410 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      29 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 4,545 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        114 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • for the new Visual studio 15,

for VS 15 preview version, there are two installs, for the new installed, it failed on my machine, I am attaching the error page. any suggestion? My environment is of newly installeed clean windows 10. simplified chinese version.

https://vssetup.azureedge.net/372f783b-96b5-43ec-4e90-d1331dd7ffb0/vs_bootstrapper.exe

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • 1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Customizable Javascript Syntax Coloring

Please allow a way to uniquely customize the syntax coloring for JavaScript code.
            In VS2010 we were able to do this by editing the following options in fonts and colors:

Script Comment
            Script Identifier
            Script Keyword
            Script Number
            Script Operator
            Script String

Sadly those options are now missing in VS2012 RC :(

33 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 2,967 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                32 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We think this is a fantastic suggestion and have already begun moving project related files into a “.vs” folder at the root of the solution. You can check it out in the latest CTP of Visual Studio 2015. So far, we have moved the .SUO file and the VB/C# compiler IntelliSense database files to the new location. All new project specific, machine local files will be added to the new location too. We plan on taking this even further in future releases and are investigating how to improve the directory structure of build output and other existing files that can clutter the source tree.

If you are upgrading an existing solution you may need to clean up the old files at the root of the solution. We don’t delete them to ensure your settings are not lost if you round trip the project with earlier versions of Visual Studio.…

• Fix 260 character file name length limitation

The 260 character limit on file paths really gets in the way of having a deeply-nested project hierarchy. It's only there as backwards compatibility with the old school APIs, and has no place in any sort of modern development environment.

We should be able to work with file paths of whatever size we want.

2,976 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  312 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Stop signing me out of Visual Studio! (and MSDN)

Pretty much every time I fire up Visual Studio I get greeted by the little yellow warning symbol asking me to re-enter my credentials.

I check the 'Remember my details' box (or whatever equivelent) but it makes little difference.

I work on two different computers (one at work and one at home) but do not consider this to be that unusual a set-up.

Incidentally I find that when F1'ing to get help, the MSDN page often asks me to sign in. I use Chrome as my daily driver browser but again this should be a fairly typical scenario.

I don't…

489 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    20 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • x64 edit and continue

Imporve x64 debugger so Edit and Contunue works when running on Windows x64 o/s

1,977 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      102 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Continue support for MBCS (Multi-Byte Character Sets) for MFC and C++

After VS2013 the MBCS variants of the standard library and MFC are declared deprecated. Conversion to Unicode will cost our company litteraly thousands of productive hours (over 3 million source code lines to convert). So this deprecation is a bad idea. Please continue the support of these variants of C++ projects, and continue the support of MBCS in MFC!

184 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        21 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during Click once Setup

Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during ClickOnce Setup.

We need to disable TLS 1.0 by June for compliance. During testing of this we have found that our application connect correctly after a minor change. However, the ClickOnce setup only negotiates a TLS 1.0 connection.

Please either enable TLS 1.2 by default with a fallback to 1.1/1.0 or give the ability to turn it on during the build.

112 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          11 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Potable xaml

I am very happy to see portable DLLs arriving.
                          I would love to be able to re-use more of my code though between WinRT, WinPhone and Silverlight and WPF. (please push as mush APIs as you can into the Portable DLLs)
                          For example I would like a binary compatible subset of XAML that works in all 4 XAML platforms (and any others that come along).
                          I have some basic constructs like wizards, message popups, filter editing screens, report viewers etc... and I would like them to be re-useable as DLLs and not just as copy and paste and tweak re-use…

5 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can only use APIs in portable class libraries if they are supported by all the targets you’ve selected. Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 now share the same UI technology. So we’re happy to announce that you’ll be able to share the XAML if you’re targeting these two platforms (and moving forward any other platform that will use this UI stack as well).

Thus, I’m marking this item as completed. I’m well aware that this doesn’t exactly address your suggestion but I don’t think it would be technologically feasible to include WPF and Silverlight because both have a similar, but yet distinctively different UI stack.

Immo Landwerth
                            Program Manager
                            .NET Framework Team

• It's been said before but I am asking AGAIN - REMOVE 260 Path Limitation

It seems every time someone posts this request, it is swept under the rug and just given a "it will break too much backwards compatibility" ... or "we need to devote resources elsewhere at this time" .. or even "it is too difficult to accomplish"

I, for one, am sick and tired of the excuses. It is 2015 - 10 years ago, the excuses would be barely acceptable. Today, not so by a long shot.

The problem is compounded by the VS Project templates themselves. By default, all users projects are put into the particular user's Home Documents Directory (%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents…

19 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Please support the long path feature that was released with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update enabled long paths to overcome the 260 character path limit for manifested applications. Please enable this support in Visual Studio!

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-ntfs-long-paths-in-windows-10/

11 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Increase a value of MAX_PATH

See these links:
                                http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/4954037-fix-260-character-file-name-length-limitation
                                https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6729861-remove-maximum-path-length-limitation
                                https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6573539-remove-the-long-standing-max-path-limitation
                                https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/9839496-make-windows-explorer-work-with-long-path-files
                                These problems are caused by the value of MAX_PATH - it is too low. If you can't cope with these problems, in operating systems with a support (Windows Vista and newer) - there with WINVER at 0x0600 - the value of MAX_PATH should be definitely higher. In <windows.h> it could be set by #ifdef macros or something like that. If it would require a change in these operating systems, an update should be created and applied. If it isn't possible (the app would crash on OS without the update or would glitch), then…

0 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • 24 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow the evaluation of lambda expressions while debugging

Allow Quick Watch and other Debug functions to work with Lambda expressions.

"Expression cannot contain lambda expressions" makes this powerful language feature second-class within the IDE.

Especially for data intensive applications being able to write Lambda expressions in the Quick Watch, Watch, Immediate Windows and debug evaluation is a must have.

9,347 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      98 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This suggestion is complete. You can now debug lambda expression starting with Visual Studio 2015 Preview http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-downloads-vs

For more information, please, read: Support for debugging lambda expressions with Visual Studio 2015
                                      http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/11/12/support-for-debugging-lambda-expressions-with-visual-studio-2015.aspx

We are currently working on edit and continue support for Lambdas. I can’t give you an exact time frame as we are quality driven, but we’ll ship it as soon as it is ready so please keep following our 2015 announcements.
                                      There will also be an update on the related UserVoice item: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4079440-edit-continue-allow-the-modification-of-lambda

If you have any feedback or questions for us, please, reach out through:
                                      Send-a-Smile (Visual Studio feedback tool)
                                      https://twitter.com/VS_Debugger
                                      vsdbgfb@microsoft.com
                                      commenting on the blog post

If you would like to follow news about the Visual Studio Debugger, please subscribe to our blog or to our twitter account.

Thanks for sharing this suggestion with us and for using Visual Studio!
                                      Maria Ghiondea
                                      Visual Studio Diagnostics

• Multithreaded C/C++ linker

We build more than 600 C++ projects. We invested a lot into breaking them into parallel build-able blocks but any HW upgrade give us almost nothing in the end as the linking process is utilizing only one CPU :(

1,220 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        13 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A more precise response:

We have done a lot of work on link throughput in the past release, with features like /Zc:inline, /debug:fastlink and multi-threading the linker, the clean link performance has improved as measured by our household benchmarks (chrome, bingmaps, ogre3d and more). In addition to this we have also added more scenarios to incremental linking which now supports static libraries and LTCG builds (with /LTCG:incremental). For more information on these features, see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2014/11/12/speeding-up-the-incremental-developer-scenario-with-visual-studio-2015.aspx.

Thanks!

• Do not treat IntelliSense output as errors in Error List

Quite often IntelliSense would parse C++ code incorrectly and report an error in "Error List" dialog. This is really annoying, especially if project otherwise was built corretly without any issues.

I would like to suggest you either:
                                        - add a new IntelliSense error category (additionally to "Errors", "Warnings" and "Messages"
                                        - extend filter button to hide IntelliSense errors

In both cases, IntelliSense reporting a false positive is a clear bug and should be fixed.

12 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Remove Microsoft Account Requirement for K-12 EDU Deployment Scenarios

We would like to deploy Visual Studio Community Edition to many schools (thousands of locations) using App-V. The requirement of a Microsoft Account is a blocker for deployment because VS stops working after 30 days without attaching an MS account for every user. I believe a patch was available for previous versions of VS that removed the MS account requirement. Can something like this be made available to educational institutions?

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base