Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add better support for cross-platform third-party build systems

Add better built-in support for cross-platform third-party build systems such as QMake or CMake so that it's easier to build within the IDE using such build systems.

Even the simple ability to override the entire Visual Studio build system with a simple command-line command would satisfy my use-case, as all I really need is to be able to specify the command's execution directory (in this case, the build directory) and the command itself (qmake ../source && nmake).

Pretty simple.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Please make it easy to installing 3rd party libaries globaly

Currently installing a 3rd party libary globally is a problem. This means if I need a libary for many projects, I do not need to add them each time. Also make it possible to third party tools such cmake to detect these libaries. I am thinking to have folders similar to linuix's /usr/lib and usr/include folder structure. This means if needed. I can copy the *.h or lib file and it gets linked

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • make all msdn documentation available off-line

Please bring us back to the good old days where all docs available off-line were available to download... if not free for all at least for msdn subscribers.
          Thank you

1,099 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            66 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! As we move our documentation from MSDN to docs.microsoft.com, we started rolling out the ability to download entire documentation sets in the form of PDF files. In addition, we have also revamped our offline help generation service, that will provide more content available through Help Viewer, bundled with Visual Studio.

- Den Delimarsky
            PM, docs.microsoft.com

• Separate the XAML and Design on windows phone app

When you have a big screen or extended monitor to use VS 2011 on windows phone app, I would like to suggest you that allow separate the design screen and XAML in a different screens outside VS. For example, I want keep in VS windows only XAML and C# code. In this case, I want open the design screen outside VS.NET IDE.
            I believe that this is important to developer and designer to see how the design is.

26 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Please support the long path feature that was released with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update enabled long paths to overcome the 260 character path limit for manifested applications. Please enable this support in Visual Studio!

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-ntfs-long-paths-in-windows-10/

11 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Create Windows Installer Setup Project for Visual Studio 2015 Community version

Hi,

Can you create a Windows Installer Setup Project extension for Visual Studio 2015 Community version?

It looks like the version of the installer for Visual Studio 2015 you posted only support Visual Studio 2015 Professional.

Thank you

Thank you

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  5 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Fix 260 character file name length limitation

The 260 character limit on file paths really gets in the way of having a deeply-nested project hierarchy. It's only there as backwards compatibility with the old school APIs, and has no place in any sort of modern development environment.

We should be able to work with file paths of whatever size we want.

2,976 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    320 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Report unit-test duration in test explorer in milliseconds

In VS "15" preview, the test running times are shown as 0.00:00.001. It's awful lot of useless zeroes. Just show 1ms. Or when the test duration gets into tens of seconds, show like 11.5s. It was ok in VS 2015.

0 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Support C++ initializer lists: std::vector<double> v = { 1, 2, 3.456, 99.99 };

See http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/C++0xFAQ.html#init-list

Some examples:

vector<double> v = { 1, 2, 3.456, 99.99 };

list<pair<string,string>> languages = {
                      {"Nygaard","Simula"}, {"Richards","BCPL"}, {"Ritchie","C"}
                      };

map<vector<string>,vector<int>> years = {
                      { {"Maurice","Vincent", "Wilkes"},{1913, 1945, 1951, 1967, 2000} },
                      { {"Martin", "Ritchards"} {1982, 2003, 2007} },
                      { {"David", "John", "Wheeler"}, {1927, 1947, 1951, 2004} }
                      };

223 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        4 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support .NET Builds without requiring Visual Studio on the server

To build certain PCL libraries and libraries for Windows 8 RT requires having Visual Studio on the server.

Nick Berardi writes about a workaround that allows running a build server without VS, but it's really just a workaround for functionality that should be easy.

Not to mention there's probably licensing considerations we're just ignoring by doing that.

http://nickberardi.com/a-net-build-server-without-visual-studio/

Please make it easy (and legal) to build .NET projects on a server without requiring a Visual Studio installation (or license) on that server.

4,493 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          28 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback, and your overwhelming support for this feature.

To support the creation of more lightweight build servers, we now have made available Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools (https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/#build-tools-for-visual-studio-2017-rc). This release allows you to build native and managed MSBuild-based projects without requiring the Visual Studio IDE. By default (that is without selecting any workload options) the Build Tools provides support for managed projects. You can also optionally install the Visual C++ compilers and libraries, MFC, ATL, and C++/CLI support.

While Visual Studio 2017 has not yet RTM’d, we’re marking this User Voice suggestion as “Completed”, and we will continue to update the Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools as we provide updates to Visual Studio 2017.

If you have additional capabilities that you would like to see included with the Visual Studio Build Tools, please create a new User Voice entry so…

• Implement 'Compiler as a service' for F#

It would be a tough blow for F# adoption to not provide 'Compiler as a service' when VB and C# does.

522 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            18 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our recommendation for Visual F# Tools users requiring a “Compiler as a Service” component is to use and contribute to the F# compiler service component at http://fsharp.github.io/FSharp.Compiler.Service/. This is also available as a Nuget package. This implementation is directly adapted from the open source code for the Visual F# implementation.

The component is already used by numerous projects including the Visual F# Power Tools, FSharp.Formatting, the Xamarin and Emacs editing bindings for F#.

We also encourage (and would like to contribute to) discussions about implementing Roslyn interfaces using the functionality available in the FSharp.Compiler.Service project.

Don Syme, answering on behalf of for the Visual F# Tools team

• Visual Studio "15" Preview won't install when Proxy Server used

Installation of Visual Studio "15" Preview failed for me. I suspect it is because I am behind a corporate Proxy Server.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Do not treat IntelliSense output as errors in Error List

Quite often IntelliSense would parse C++ code incorrectly and report an error in "Error List" dialog. This is really annoying, especially if project otherwise was built corretly without any issues.

I would like to suggest you either:
                              - add a new IntelliSense error category (additionally to "Errors", "Warnings" and "Messages"
                              - extend filter button to hide IntelliSense errors

In both cases, IntelliSense reporting a false positive is a clear bug and should be fixed.

12 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                6 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Buttons pointing to reported problem in status update mails end up on developer community homepage instead

The links in the problem status update mails contain the URL to the reported problems, but when clicking them from the Windows 10 Mail app I end up at the developer community homepage instead.

This is a usability flaw because
                                - it makes it difficult to find back the reported problem
                                - it does not match the expectation of a button called 'View the new problem'.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
                                - report a VS installer problem
                                - receive status update mails from developer community.visualstudio.com
                                - open the mail in the Windows 10 Mail app
                                - click the blue button pointing to the reported…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Notification emails have broken links

The notification emails have a "View the problem" link that goes to the home page. It should go to the problem in the email. Otherwise there is no way to get to the problem referenced in the email, and typically there is not enough information in the email to find the problem any other way.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Run unit tests in parallel

As a developer I want to the Test Explorer to optionally run unit tests in parallel, regardless of the unit test framework so that my unit test runs finish faster on my multi-core machine.

As a developer I want to mark specific tests as single threaded with an attribute so that those tests that specifically don't work in a multi-threaded environment will still work when I run tests in parallel.

384 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      20 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Extend support for JSDoc.

The current implementation supports the basics of JSDoc. It would be great to be able to have the full JSDoc specification available.

For example this piece from the JSDoc documentation:
                                      /**
                                      * This callback type is called `requestCallback` and is displayed as a global symbol.
                                      * @callback requestCallback
                                      * @param {number} responseCode
                                      * @param {string} responseMessage
                                      */

/**
                                      * Does something asynchronously and executes the callback on completion.
                                      * @param {requestCallback} cb - The callback that handles the response.
                                      */
                                      function doSomethingAsynchronously(cb) {
                                      // code
                                      };

It would be great to have the intellisense show the parameters of the…

18 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are happy to let you know that we have addressed this suggestion and it’s available in VS 15 Preview 5. You can download the bits from here https://www.visualstudio.com/visual-studio-pre-release-downloads/. For more details on which JSDoc tags are supported, see the documentation here http://aka.ms/salsa.

Please let us know if there are any other JSDoc tags that you use that aren’t supported.

Bowden Kelly
                                        Program Manager
                                        JavaScript & TypeScript

• Javascript code formatter (indentation)

Here is an example of javascript code formatter http://javascript.about.com/library/blformat.htm <-- it's using client-side JS to indent the JS!

Please incorporate such indentation feature in JS and hook the indentation shortcut for JS too as we have in C# (CTRL+K+D)

Thank you.

16 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Fix the sorting order when test outcome by duration is viewed in Test Explorer VS2015

Enclosed screenshot shows that the unit tests outcome withing a duration group (slow in my case) is inconsistent. It should be sorting in either descending or ascending order, eg. "slowest/fastest unit test first.

thanks in advance
                                          Jonas

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base